Girl Snoops discussion

Help

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charise (new)

Charise | 15 comments Okay so I need suggestions for a new series to start. I have been reading The alphabet series by Sue Grafton and love them. I need another to dive into - preferably with a strong female character (I know - that goes wihtout saying) but one that is a little older and is really happy being single without getting all sappy love/kids stuff. OKay so my love life sucks and I am generally okay with that but I really do not want to read about romance.

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (mollytiff) | 4 comments I have the same problem. I'm reading the "R" book now and soon I'll be up to "T". After that, I'm stuck!

message 3: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) Charise,
You may want to read the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton. I've only read the first one so far but enjoyed it. The series was recommended to me by family. Upon discovering the series, 3 of my relatives immediately read the entire so it came to me highly recommended. The first in the series is Quiche of Death.

I also recommend the Midnight Louie series by Carole Nelson Douglas. Although the main character is a younger female, the stories don't seem to be what you termed "sappy" when it comes to her love life. I've read 5 of them so far and just can't get enough of the series.

Hope that helps!

message 4: by Charise (new)

Charise | 15 comments Jenger wrote: "Charise,
You may want to read the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton. I've only read the first one so far but enjoyed it. The series was recommended to me by family. Upon discovering the series..."

Awesome thanks - I ordered Quiche of Death.I will let you know how it goes.

message 5: by Charise (new)

Charise | 15 comments Jenger - I just got my books and have read the first 2 pages of The Quiche of Death. So far I really like it! Thanks!!!!

message 6: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) I'm glad you like it. The same author also wrote the Hamish Macbeth series but I haven't read any of those, just watched the BBC TV series. I also thought of another series you might like is the Meg Langslow mysteries. The first one is Murder with Peacocks and they are quite funny without the chick lit romance thing going on. There's also the Midnight Louie series which is by Carole Nelson Douglas. They're quite different from any of the other series I've read since there are 2 narrators - Midnight Louie (the cat) and Temple Barr, the main character. If you haven't read the Mrs. Murphy books by Rita Mae Brown, you might try those, too. Sorry for all the suggestions - I seem to be on a female mystery kick lately.

message 7: by Charise (new)

Charise | 15 comments Jenger wrote: "I'm glad you like it. The same author also wrote the Hamish Macbeth series but I haven't read any of those, just watched the BBC TV series. I also thought of another series you might like is the ..."

I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I have written them down and will try them. I too am on a female mystery kick so suggestions are brillant! Thanks!