Chicks On Lit discussion

Daughter Wife books

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2536 comments Mod
Has anyone noticed a trend in using those two words in titles?
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
The Bonesetter's Daughter
Mozart's Daughter
The Heretic's Daughter
The Time Traveller's Wife
The Pilot's Wife
American Wife

I've never noticed trends like that before but it seems every other title I look at has one of those two words in it. And now suddenly I feel like they are trying to lure women readers in by using key words like that. Kinda bugs me now that I think about it too hard.

message 2: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) My daughter mentioned that about a month ago too, she said what is the deal? It bugs us too.

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 10 comments Wow that is so odd. You're right that they are appealling to women readers. I'm much more likely to look at the back of a book in the bookstore that says The Heretic's Daughter than the Heretic's Child or Heretic's Son. I'll admit it!

message 4: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Some of the ones i have had on my computer list pad are:
The Hummingbird's Daughter by Urrea
The Alchemists daughter by Mcmahon
The Storyteller's daughter by Dokey
The Apothecary's daughter by Klassen
The Centurion's wife by Bunn
The Vicar's Daughter by MacDonald
Galileo's Daughter by Sobel
The Burgermister's daughter by Daugh
The Zookeeper's wife by Ackerman
and
The Doctor's wife by Ozment which I actually own.
I think it is more noticable now but it has been a trend dating way back. If you do a search at a book site you can come up with tons but it goes back years. Like the Memory keepers wife has been out for 4 years already I think.

message 5: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2148 comments Interesting. I don't think I consciously noticed it before. It kinda feels like a cop-out. You write this beautiful, disturbing, engrossing, etc story and then the title is "The ...'s Daughter"? I love it when title gives you a hint, or advances the story, or is like an inside joke (like The Poinsonwood Bible). I assume authors chose their own titles, or does someone else get to do it?

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments yes, i have contemplated it before. it may indeed be a ploy to attract more female readers, using a sense of commonality or "sisterhood". but it does seem to make the daughter/wife secondary to the heretic/pilot/memory-keeper, etc., as if her identity is in being that something to someone else. okay, tera... now you have me thinking too much about it, too! lol

message 7: by Mary (last edited Jan 28, 2009 01:14PM) (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments Fun discussion! Authors do choose titles but a publisher can also make recommendations so a book finds the right audience and doesn't confuse the shopper. It's all part of the overall editorial process.

Women are a big buying group and although it might make one feel manipulated I do buy books by their cover and/or their title all of the time. I'm somewhat of an instinctual buyer and quickly make up my mind within the first few minutes of looking at a book.

generally, what some might feel is manipulation, doesn't bug me. Lot's of times authors have working titles that just don't work anymore once the book is done. I imagine there are some really interesting stories of how a book ended up with a title.....but whatever helps bring an audience to a good book
is okay with me.

message 8: by Tahleen (last edited Jan 29, 2009 08:13AM) (new)

Tahleen Here are some more:

The Gravedigger's Daughter
The Optimist's Daughter

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments I've also noticed how many books have "America" or "American" in the title--those are often positioned as "serious" novels that are prize-winning material but not always. No matter, the word "America" or "American" is intended, I think, to give us a sense that the book is sweeping, vast, important...etc. and also to suggest/comment on the idea of the Great American Novel.

This is not a new phenonmenon; it's one that has swept over the 20th century and continues into the 21st:

The Quiet American
Graham Greene

The Un-Americans
Bessie Alvah

The Ugly American
William J. Lederer

America, America
Eli Kazan

An American Dream
Norman Mailer

Trout Fishing in America
Richard Brautigan

Americana
Don DeLillo

An American Girl
Patricia Dizenzo

Birds of America
Mary McCarthy

American Family
Faith Baldwin

The Great American Novel
Philip Roth (Funny how he's commenting on this trend in his title!)

Roots: The Saga of an American Family
Alex Haley

American Gigolo
Timothy Harris

Made in America
Peter Maas

Coming to America
Linda Perrin

The Ghosts of America
William Stevenson

Lost in America
Isaac Bashevis Singer

The Americans
Jeanne Vronskaya

American Beauty
C.J. Hribal

American Dad
Tama Janowicz

American Blood
John Nichols

American Appetites
Joyce Carol Oates, 1989

An American Love Story
Rona Jaffe

American Psycho
Bret Easton Ellis

Typical American
Gish Jen

Hunger in America
David Cates

Escape from America
Wallace Henley

Good Evening Mr. And Mrs. America, and All the Ships at Sea
Richard Bausch

American Heaven
Maxine Chernoff

Purple America
Rick Moody

American Pastoral
Philip Roth

An American Killing
Mary-Ann Tyrone Smith

American Owned Love
Robert Boswell

American Captain
Edison Marshall

American Knees
Shawn Wong

American Skin
Don De Grazia

American Mystic
Michael Gurien

American by Blood
Andrew Huebner

In America
Susan Sontag

Little America
Henry Bromell

American Gods
Neil Gaiman

American Son
Brian Roley

message 10: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen That is a whole lot of America.

message 11: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (wheeledk) | 22 comments Good topic! Lately, I've been noticing that there is an abundance of books with the word "Confessions" in the title - Confessions of a Shopaholic, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, The Confessions of Max Tivoli. That's definitely marketing at work - making the reader anticipate a story full of juicy secrets. And yes, it frequently works on me. :)

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments Wow - lots of America's Kate. Again the use of a same word doesn't bother me at all. i think there is an entire art to how to create a "Good Title".
Some books just percolate with the obvious choice and others....it's a crap shoot to find 3 words or one word that can crown the book and be a good indicator of what is inside the cover.