Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Cindy's Fifty for 2009

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (last edited Jan 28, 2009 08:25AM) (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments I was introduced to GoodReads in December and love it. I'm a librarian in a mid-size public library in the Hudson Valley region of New York State, and had been in an academic library for many years prior to this bridge to retirement job.

I moderate two book groups in the library and advise the teen group. I'm always looking for good books that will generate interesting discussion. I read whenever I'm not knitting, quilting, cooking or online researching those things and visiting with other fiber friends and now book friends.

I have three grown children, and one new granddaughter who just arrived in December. My husband and I have been married for 37 years this spring.

I look forward to learning from the group, and hope I can share some interesting reads with you.

Right now one of the books I'm reading is The Broken Window by Jeffery Deaver.

Thanks for letting me join the challenge. Cindy

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 1 Song Yet Sung by James Mc Bride

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 2. Quilter's Kitchen by Jennifer Chiaverini

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 3. 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 4. Broken Window by Jeffery Deavers - great and scary story about identity theft......and a master data miner.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 5. Devils Corner by Lisa Scottoline

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 6. Made from Scratch by Jenna Woginrich

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 7. Daddy's Girl by Lisa Scot

message 9: by Deb (new)

Deb Hi Cindy - Great Start! What did you think of a Song yet Sung? I have it on my to read list.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments Deb wrote: "Hi Cindy - Great Start! What did you think of a Song yet Sung? I have it on my to read o

I thought it was interesting- particularly the idea of the importance of one life and all the connections and implications on history.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 8. Knit Two by Kate Jacobs
I love her work, I feel like I know these women. I recognize my knitting buddies in her work.

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 9. Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo
What a great book, a little long but really worth the time.

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 10. Dirty Blonde by Lisa Scottoline
Another quick and easy read.

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 11. Payback by Margaret Atwood
A departure from her great fiction, this book is a look at the nature of debt in history, in religious context and in literature. Very interesting and I agree with her conclusion of our debt to nature that is coming due.

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 12. Sara and Eleanor by Jan Pottker
Living in the Hudson Valley I've always been aware of the Roosevelt influence and admired all that Eleanor did. This book gave me a different perspective on her and her relationship with her mother-in-law. It has inspired me to do more reading on Sara and to research some of the other Roosevelt and Delano homes in my region.

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 13. Alice B Toklas Cookbook
I loved the description of travel between recipes and who made each of the interesting foods included in this book. Alice Toklas and her friend Gertrude Stein certainly shared an interesting life, and a love for good food. I wish I'd read this before I travelled in the South of France, it would have served as a roadmap for some interesting trips.
The Alice B. Toklas Cookbook

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 14 Still Life by Louise Penny
I'm always looking for a new mystery writer and hit the jackpot with this one. I'll definitely followup with the other Inspector Gamache stories she has written. An interesting set of characters set in a small village in Quebec.

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 15 The Reason for Crows: A Story of Kateri Tekakwitha
by Diane Glancy
We have a local church here named Blessed Kateri - I wanted to learn more about this woman, but this book was not very helpful. A fictional diary of sorts of Kateri and the French missionary priests.

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 16.The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
by Gil McNeil
For those who like Sophie Kinsella, or the Friday Night Knitting Club, or even the Debbie Macomber Blossom Street books - you will love this. Although not much knitting discussion in terms of projects, the characters are delightful. I particularly liked the children so cute.

message 20: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 17. Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos
I hadn't read anything by this author and this was recommended as a similar piece to Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I didn't see the similarlity, but enjoyed it never the less.

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 18.Grave Goods (Mistress of the Art of Death, Book 3)
by Ariana Franklin

This is my first book by Ariana Franklin, and I loved it. I would recommend it for any fans of the Brother Cadfael series.

message 22: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 19. Not Becoming My Mother: and Other Things She Taught Me Along the Way (Hardcover)
by Ruth Reichl

I expected this to be another humorous collection of Mim tales from Reichl, which I have loved in the past and was surprised by this thoughtful and serious look at the life of her mother Miriam. I think many women who grew up prior to the women's lib movement would appreciate this short book.

message 23: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 20. Serendipity by Louise Shaffer
This is my favorite Louise Shaffer book to date. I loved how her main character Carrie Manning uncovers the family she had not known and comes to understand herself better in the process. I found the New Haven setting interesting particularly since I have family that came from the Italian-American community there too.

message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 21. About Face by Donna Leon
Another Brunetti novel and good as always. I love Donna Leon's work and this character.

message 25: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 22. Summer on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber
Another look at our friends on Blossom Street. Right after I finished this - I got to meet Debbie Macomber at the Book Expo in NY and received a signed copy . I'm looking forward to the next installment of these friends on Blossom Street.

message 26: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 23, Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

I will read more by this author, a light fun read.

message 27: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 24. Flory: Survival in the Valley of Death by Flory A. Van Beek
Interesting story, I've been to the town she lived in and hid in during the war. Having been an exchange student in Holland, I have met a number of Dutch families that either were in the Resistance Movement or hid Jewish families during WWII. Because I'd been to her town this book was of particular interest.

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 25, The 19th Wife: A Novel by David Ebershoff

Interesting but a little too long, we heard the same events from several characters over and over again it seemed. Interweaving the diaries and transcripts adds to the historical interest, but perhaps too redundant. Also the modern day story could have held up on its' own and gets lost with all the back stories. Yet I'll try this author again. Doesn't any one write linear stories anymore?

message 29: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 26, Swim to Me by Betsy Carter
A New York transplant to the Gulf Coast of Florida. I can't wait till my next visit to the Tampa area to discover Weeki Wachi and the Aqua Zoo. Did this really exist - is it still there? How fun - to aspire to be a mermaid! quick read.

message 30: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 27 A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters
by Julian Barnes
A little like Jonathan Swift initially. First I've read of this author, some of the essays - chapters I liked others not so much. I will read something else by him.

message 31: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 28. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 29. The Lost Quilter by Jennifer Chiaverini
Another interesting story, but I missed learning more about the modern day quilters. Interesting back story of the runaway quilter

message 33: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 30. Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith by Barbara Brown Taylor\This memoir is a terrific book for anyone who has ever questioned faith. Barbara Brown Taylor's faith journey from a child to an Episcopal priest to college professor is a thought provoking read, and to me a call to continue to examine my own faith walk.

message 34: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 31 Sidetracked by Henning Mankell
Another dark but terrific Wallander book

message 35: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 32. Firewall by Henning Mankell
yet another dark but terrific Wallander.

message 36: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 33. The Man Who Smiled by Henning Mankell.
This is the fourth of the Kurt Wallander series. It gives us more information about Kurt's past and introduces the character Ann Brit.

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 34.Ghost War by Alex Berenson
If you have been looking for a new author with the appeal of Robert Ludlum, Frederick Forsyth and Tom Clancy [without the exhausting mountains of detail:] then try Alex Berenson. This is the second book for his John Wells character. The work is so current, interesting and very fast moving

message 38: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 35.The Man who Smiled by Henning Mankell
This is the story that introduces ann Brit and gives us more background on Kurt's troubled past.

message 39: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 36. A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg
Molly Wizenberg is the true heir to Ruth Reichl. Weaving her love of food with her ability to write is such a beautiful manner about her family and life - I can't wait to see what she does next!

message 40: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 37. Gone to Green by Julie Christie
I got this as an Advanced Reader this year at tbe Book Expo. If you like Jan Karon - you'll enjoy this. I understand this is her first novel, and I will be looking forward to more. A good story - definitely a Christian fiction, but not overly sweet or preachy.

message 41: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 38.In the Wee Small Hours by Gil McNeil
A good quick read, but I preferred her Beach Street Knitting ...

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 46 comments 39.Hand of Evil by J.A. Jance
This is the first Jance I've read, and I will go back to read the first two in this series. The book was fine without having done the earlier pieces, but there were numerous references to earlier adventures with Ali and Dave. These references did not destroy the story though.