The Newbery Award and Honor Book Club discussion

Realistic Fiction > Sing Down the Moon

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandahandiamhen) | 4 comments Man, for someone who dosen't post a lot I'm finding myself being the first to post on these things. I absolutely love the sheep! I'm not sure what it was about them but their just so unforgettably loveable. I'm still not sure how I feel about Tall Boy. I didn't like him at first but then I did like him but then I didn't, and then I wasnt sure who he was, but I think I liked him in the end. I want to go live in the Canyon de Chelly and drive sheep to the mesa every spring. I really liked it. Much better than I thought. I was really worried in the end, I wasn't sure if I would ever see Tall Boy again. And then they finally escaped! Hooray. I was really worried that the long knives would capture them again. Anyways it was definently deserving of its Newberry.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 86 comments I don't know about Tall Boy either. I think I can understand how hard it must have been suddenly being crippled, and I was glad that didn't change Bright Morning's feelings. But he gave up just like everyone else. He was quite lucky to have Bright Morning at the end.

I really loved Bright Morning. She was so down-to-earth, and inconquerable.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandahandiamhen) | 4 comments I was only slightly put off by the fact that it didn't mention her name until the very end.

message 4: by Adelina (new)

Adelina | 37 comments I really enjoyed it. I think it moved a little too quick through things for me though. Amanda - I kept looking back to find her name thinking I forgot it, but I guess it didn't. I never like Tall Boy. He was too proud, even when crippled I think his pride continued to cripple him. It's a very good thing he had Bright Morning there to love him.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 86 comments I was doing some readings for my English class the other day and came across one of Shakespeare's most famous sonnetts...(116 I think), and the line "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds" made me think of Bright Morning and Tall Boy. I kept thinking throughout the story that he really didn't deserve her love, and she should just give up on him, but thank you Shakespeare for enlightening me. She really loved him, and in the end it didn't matter whether he deserved it or not.

message 6: by Ranae (new)

Ranae | 9 comments I just finished Sing Down the Moon and loved it. I loved how Bright Morning understood her husband, and I felt it was a great representation of what makes a strong couple. Commitment, undertanding, patience, not perfection.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (affie) | 36 comments I agree with everything said here. Tall Boy was cocky and arrogant, but I didn't really blame him. First, because I feel like he was raised to be that way and second because his pride is really what got him crippled, he had to learn to live, and deal with it. That would be terribly hard to accept- going from hard core warrior fighting man to dependent crippled man.
I loved Bright Morning, and was impressed with her commitment to Tall Boy. I didn't really feel a huge connection between them until after he was injured, but she was there for him to love and support him through it all.

I have discovered that Scott O'Dell is not my favorite writer immediately after I finish his books, but that his stories tend to stay with me long after I have finished them, even if only in a feeling.