Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Moonheart--February Group Read--SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Ok to post spoilers here.

Please remember to uncheck the "Add to my Update Feed" option before submitting your post.

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevn57) This novel is of course magical, because other wise it wouldn't be an Urban Fantasy, but it's also very musical.

From the Author's Note.
" this book was written under the influence of Alan Stivell, Andreas Vollenweider, Neville Marriner, An Triskell, Edgar Froese, Klaus Schultz, Radio Silence, Robin Williamson, Silly Wizard, the Fureys, and Kate Bush-to name the most prominent"

I too had my mp3 player dancing with Celtic tunes as I read the book, the music references peppered throughout the novel are almost a subliminal influence forcing you to listen to some Celtic tunes as you read.
Aside from that I loved the way that the author has integrated European legends and mythology with North American mythology, throwing in a healthy does of Taoism to boot makes for a very satisfying setting and story. The main characters are both believable and likeable; the human villains are a little one dimensional but that’s a small quibble for such a terrific novel.

Great Pick and whoever voted for it, thanks.

message 3: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 22 comments I am actually having a hard time getting into this one. I really liked War for the Oaks. This one seems really slow going. Maybe it gets better farther in?

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason | 36 comments I have been enjoying it, a little behind my reading schedule, but enjoying it none the less.

It is older in the genre, and moves a little different than some of the other books we have read. What really draws me to this book, and DeLint in general, is his blending of magic without running the cliche Vampire/Werewolf/Succubus gambit. There is alot more to Urban Fantasy than those wonderful creatures.

What I have found is DeLint is a wonderful story teller, and builds solid suspense through charachter development; but he is less action oriented than the other stories we have read.

message 5: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 22 comments I find the jumping from POV to POV a bit jarring. He has two different point's of view in a paragraph at times. It is a skill that not many author's could pull off. Sometimes I have trouble figuring whose thought is which. I am on page 136 now and I find it interesting, though it is slow going for me. I was really frustrated with the characters, I kept thinking that obviously the little bone bits are runes. How would someone not know that? I suppose I would not be a very good character in a fantasy novel.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason | 36 comments Lol. Very true, Sara is a bit extra clueless for someone who lives in such a bohemian household. You would think that she would have alot more exposure to "runeish" type things with the freaks that flow in and out of the hosue.

I don't see the PoV problem, if you could give me a passage where you struggled that would be great.

message 7: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 22 comments Usually books I read are told from one POV for the entire book or if it changes POV, then there is one POV for one chapter and the next POV for the next chapter. This book bounces around a lot. For instance on page 134 Chapter TWO: Starts with Hogue's POV, break, Collin's POV, break, Tucker's POV, break, Hogue's POV and also Walter's POV, break, back to Tucker.

It is like that through out the book.

message 8: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 22 comments Another one: Page 165 and 166. Starts with Jamie's POV. "Jamie awoke from a nightmare of clawing shadows and monstrous shifting faces. He sat up, ..." Changes to Blue's POV: "Blue stepped back into the kitchen and met Jamie's gaze. The skin between his shoulder blades prickled and he knew Jamie was thinking of the same thing he was ..." Changes to Sally's POV: "Then she paused as she too remembered. She's pooh-poohed it last night, but now a chill skittered up her spine and she shivered." Then with this passage: "He wanted to put it down to an earthquake -- scary enough on its own ... he knew someone had to take charge and it looked like he'd gotten himself elected." I got confused and wasn't sure if the "he" was Blue or Jamie, so I had to go back and re-read a few sentences to figure out it was Blue's thought.

message 9: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 22 comments I defnitely like the story line set in the Otherworld better than the storyline of the Paranormal Research police. I am on page 275 now, and I am getting deeper into the story and enjoying the feel of it better. The tone of the story is just more of a high fantasy style than the more modern feel of the books that I usually read. It feels more old fashioned. But it is interesting.

message 10: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 22 comments Finished it. I thought it was a bit convoluted, but it got really exciting at the end.

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason | 36 comments Glad you liked it. I hadn't noticed the PoV shifts until you mentioned them. This was pretty early in his writing, and I think I have just read him so much that I am use to his style. But the story could be stronger with multiple points of view having more defined boundaries.