Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > War for the Oaks--February Group Read--SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Ok to post spoilers here.

Please remember to uncheck the "Add to my Update Feed" option before submitting your post.

message 2: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 22 comments I am on page 231 and I am really enjoying this book. Eddi is in a band. She breaks up with her boyfriend and quits the band. Then she meets a phouka who can be a man or a dog. He says that she is wanted by the fey to get involved in the war betwen the Unseelie and Seelie so that they can battle and kill each other. Because they are immortal they can fight and fight and nothing will happen, but with Eddi there, and her mortal blood, the fey will die. She meets Willy and Hedge who are not whom they seem. She saves a brownie. And the phouka seems to have a crush on her. Then she starts a new band, Eddi and The Fey. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite books. I have never read it before. It is great.

message 3: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 22 comments Finished it. Now I am going to start the other one.

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) *SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK*

I finished the book last night. I thought it was awesome! I loved all the characters and mourned Willy's death. But I respected the author for making the war have consequences that Eddi would feel.

I love music, but have never been talented with musical instruments or singing. (Guitar Hero is the exception!) At first, I was a little lost with all the references to different musical instruments, riffs, etc, but by the end, I was just going with it and enjoying it. This book made me wish I was musically inclined.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa

The musical references were a little lost on me as well, but it wasn't distracting. I loved the book too. I was glad the phouka let her figure out for herself about Willy. I had a feeling something was going on there because I could feel the phouka's feelings for Eddi almost from the beginning and at first was surprised that he let Willy make the moves on Eddi. Then it dawned on me that he figured Willy would hang himself, so to speak, by his own actions. I was happy with Eddi and the phouka getting a happily ever after. It was a cool twist with Stuart. Did not see that coming. It was a great fey story. I will definitely be recommending this book to others.

message 6: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Uhh... fay. I don't like fay in general, so I'm biased. All the Unseelie and Seelie politics always rub me the wrong way. As you guys pointed out "War" was also big on music, bands, song descriptions, etc which didn't do much for me either. But I finished it, it's not a bad book, it's just not my cuppa.

message 7: by Kieraanne (new)

Kieraanne I really enjoyed this book. I loved all of the music stuff as I play the guitar/sing and have always wanted to be in a band. I thought the phouka was cool though I was a little dissappointed that once the author got them together she stopped describing their daily interaction, as if that was all merely to get them together and after that we shouldn't care what they talk about. I didn't mind so much that Willy died, yeah it was kind of sad, but I wasn't that attached to him anyway.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason | 36 comments Finished it a few days ago. I thought it was a decent read, better than many of the books we have read so far, but not quite, in my opinion as good as Heart of Stone.

The two areas I struggled through were Carla and Dan being involved in the battle. It didn't pass the believability test for me. If the Seelie and Unseelie were so powerful how did they not destroy those two? I feel like we were left to assume it was because they weren't worth bothering with, but yet it seems they were still doing damage to the Unseelie; should have been easy to squish them and move on without really paying them any attention.

The other part I didn't like was we were in Eddi's PoV the whole book. But when they pulled the snatch and grab of Willy from the Dark Queen, we had no idea what was going to happen. It felt like Emma withheld information that from the PoV we were in should have been available to us. There still could have been plenty of suspense around "will it work" or throwing a curve ball that screws up the plan.

Overall I am glad I read the book, and would be inclined to read more books by the author. I thought she told an enjoyable story that was complete in itself.