What's Cookin' discussion

Archives > Freezable meals

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee (khler-ryan) | 3 comments Hi everyone,
This is a completely self-serving question from someone relatively new to the group. I'm giving birth to my second child sometime in the next couple of weeks and have become somewhat obsessed with making and freezing meals for later.

Does any of you have any hints about items that freeze or don't freeze well...and do you have any yummy recipes to share? I've mainly been making casseroles and stews.

Renee

message 2: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 21 comments In my own experience, most cookies freeze well, as do unfrosted cakes. I freeze all kinds of fruits, though strawberries seem to get frostbite the fastest.

message 3: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rahrah) I did this with the arrival of my two. Tuna cassarole, lasanga, gumbo, baked chicken breasts and spaghetti. Save the tomato-based for last if you are breast feeding; upsets their little tummies.

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee (khler-ryan) | 3 comments Thanks Rhonda. Was your gumbo rice-based? I froze a rice-based casserole a while back and was disappointed at the texture afterwards. I've found Nigella Lawson has some good tips in How to Eat and Fanny Farmer has a big section on freezing in her cookbook, but the latter was off the mark with the rice recipe she said froze particularly well. I guess it's all a matter of trial and error...
Jennifer, I totally agree with you about strawberries. Nigella Lawson describes them as slipper slugs when frozen and I tend to agree with her, even beyond the frostbite!

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia If you have Trader Joes any where there are ton of frozen foods!

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia Oh! And a healthy snack I would suggest is put sweet peppers in a bowl, salt, pepper, lot's of Olive OIl, Put it in pan and wait until golden Brownish! Three steps and a perfect healthy snack is right before you! Hope I could help!