History is Not Boring discussion

Historical photography

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) | 89 comments This series of photos of Leningrad during WWII superimposed over the same location in modern Petersburg got me thinking about what i think would be an interesting history project for a high school history department or maybe a local newspaper. Once (or twice, or four times) a year-- on the same date(s) each year-- take photographs at different locations. Same locations each year (use a GPS, compass, and tripod of a set height if you really want to do it right), different local landmarks, a couple of different views of Main Street, type of thing. Use the photos to track changes in the community over time. Maybe do it on the solstices and equinoxes to get a view of the different seasons. It would take years, if not decades, to get a really good view of how things change, so no instant payoff for high school kids, but it would still be something kind of fun to participate in.

message 2: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Coincidentally I work for the Weston Gallery in California.
Yes
There are several similar projects.
One of my favs is on the Colorado River. Pictures taken by John Wesley Powell in 1869 have been matched by modern shots taken on roughly the same spot. It is comforting to see that some areas havent changed in 140 years and quite shocking to see man's influence in other images.

message 3: by James (new)

James Nevius | 157 comments David Dunlap has been doing a series in the Times called Then/Now that looks at vantage points in the city. You can see his photos at:

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/ne...