Outlander Series discussion

Other Notable Series > Great books other than Outlander

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,183 (1183 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Apr 22, 2009 08:11AM) (new)

Michelle (Michelle_Blum) | 12 comments

Heather in the "Next Book" conversation asked:

Has anyone found another author/book that is similar to Diana Gabaldon's Outlander? Historical fiction/romance...not necessarily time travel? I need something to fill the time until the next book arrives.

I'd love to know this as well, so I opened it up as a new discussion. So here's my 2 cents. It's not quite the same style, but I really enjoy the Study Series by Maria V. Snyder. The series begins with Poison Study, Magic Study, then Fire Study.

message 2: by Heidi (last edited Jan 28, 2009 02:41PM) (new)

Heidi A book I thought of immediately that I'm thinking about rereading is the Mists of Avalon... and once I checked it out, I realized the author, Marion Zimmer Bradley (forgive me if I got it wrong-- didn't confirm spelling) had written others related to the original Mists of Avalon... it definitely gave me a similar reading experience to Outlander.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckster1024) | 4 comments I agree with Heidi. The Mists of Avalon series was a very enjoyable read for me, too. I also have "The Time Traveler's Wife", but that did not engross me as much as the Outlander series.

message 4: by Gracee (new)

Gracee  | 20 comments A Knight in Shining Armor

Just a recommendation It's on my TBR list as well

message 5: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith | 14 comments I LOVE "A Knight in Shining Armor". That was my first time-travel love story, and it's one of the best.

You might also like "The Earth Children" series by Jean M. Auel. The first one 'The Clan of the Cave Bear' was made into a terrible movie several years ago, but I've read the whole series and it's really pretty good. Some intense sexual scenes, so absolutely not for children. It's so hard finding a book after reading the Outlander series. I measure all other books by those. They are truly five star material. ;)

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina | 1 comments Who is the author for Knight in Shining Armor?

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi It looks like Jude Devereaux is the author of Knight in Shining Armor... will have to check it out. Love the medevial time period (but can never spell that word right)... :)

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 14 comments Ack, Jude Devereaux. I'm not into cheesy romance novels. Throw Nora Roberts in there, too. Gabaldon is soooooooo much better.

message 9: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith | 14 comments Gabaldon IS much, much better, but.... Devereaux has some decent books. I think her older books are the best. In my opinion, Knight in Shining Armor is one of her best. It's really not cheesy like some romance novels are. It has a really good story.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 16 comments A Knight in Shining Armor sounds great. I've added it to my to-read list. Of course, as obsessive-compulsive as I am about reading a series, I will probably have to wait until I get caught up in Gabaldon's Outlander series, since I've only just finished the first one.

message 11: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith | 14 comments Oh.. I would for sure finish the Outlander series first. You'll be much too caught up in the characters and adventure to stop. :)
I've read them all two or three times at least, and I can't wait for the next one to come out.

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 16 comments Yes, I will have to continue on through the Outlander series. I'm halfway through Dragonfly in Amber and am way too invested in the characters to stop.

message 13: by Wendy (last edited Feb 25, 2009 08:10AM) (new)

Wendy | 259 comments Has anyone tried Pamela Clare? I love her. Her books are historical during the French and Indian War.

Ride The Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3) by Pamela Clare Surrender (MacKinnons Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare [image error]

message 14: by Ms. Vicki (last edited Feb 25, 2009 01:18PM) (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith | 14 comments Why do they have to put those kind of pictures on romance books? They really turn me off , and I'm sure some of them are good stories, but I won't pick one up. :(

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments Well, they kind of help some of us. hehehe

Remember it isn't whats on the outside, it's whats on the inside that counts.

Pamela Clair is very well written. And I wouldn't consider the Sex any worse than in Outlander. If that would concern you.

message 16: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith | 14 comments No, it's not the sex that bothers me, as long as it doesn't get too detailed. :) It's just a personal thing of mine about the covers, don't know why. I will look for a PC book next time I'm in the mood for a romance. I just won't look at the cover. Ha!

message 17: by Gracee (new)

Gracee  | 20 comments LOL Miss Vicki - I feel the same way regarding the covers! Maybe *we* know to look farther than the covers, but for anyone glancing over to what your reading... it just gives the illusion that its a tawdry bodice ripper.
But, on the other hand, I don't like covers that uses scenes from movies (when the book came BEFORE the movie!). I'll actually buy a different edition to avoid a "movie scene" cover! lol

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Hanna-Tarantino (ctara) | 309 comments Wendy wrote: "Has anyone tried Pamela Clare? I love her. Her books are historical during the French and Indian War.

[bc:Ride The Fire|1560207|Ride The Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3)|Pamela Clare..."

Thanks for the rcommendation I have never heard of her or her books!!!

message 19: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments Have any of you seen the old covers for Diana Gabaldon's books. They're kind of cheesy too. I much prefer the new covers that are leather looking.

Isn't it funny what attracts us? I'm not really into red heads, because I'm a red head. But the Idea of Jaimie is so hot I might convert.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Hanna-Tarantino (ctara) | 309 comments I really like that the covers are so plain...one can paint their own picture..yea I am definitly looking at redheads in a whole new way!!!

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina | 7 comments I may have mentioned this series before, but I like Sara Donati's books.
Into the Wilderness is book one of a series by her that our "Claire" makes a cameo appearance in.

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 4 comments I agree - the Into the Wilderness series is great! It is the closest thing I've ever read to the Outlander series.

message 23: by Gracee (new)

Gracee  | 20 comments I just thought of one... 1632 by Eric Flint. Yes, it's sci fiction, BUT it's an entire town from VA thrust into the 30 year war in Germany (in 1632). It's good fun. Like what would have happened if Braveheart had a machine gun :)

message 24: by Ambercat (new)

Ambercat | 3 comments Has anyone read the Angelique series by Sergeanne Golon? (the later ones get a little OTT but I think the early ones are brilliant). You might have trouble finding them as they were printed in the 1960's I think but it's worth the search. They are set in France in the time of Louis XIV. I have re-read them several times over the years and although the characters aren't as real as Claire and Jamie, the places and events are so well drawn that you feel you are really there.

message 25: by Wendy (last edited Apr 14, 2009 08:05PM) (new)

Wendy | 259 comments If you like the accent thing, I've been reading Linda Lael Miller's Australia series.

Angelfire by Linda Lael Miller

[image error]

I've really enjoyed them. they aren't on the same scale as Outlander by any means. But there is something about men with an Accent that gets me.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Michelle_Blum) | 12 comments Don't ya just love men with accents! I went to Scotland once and their accents were so thick I couldn't understand a thing - but they all sounded as sexy as Ewan McGregor to me! ;-) Davina Porter has a very mild Scots accent in the audiobook.

I'll checkout the Linda Lael Miller books. Any chance they are in audiobook format too?

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Michelle_Blum) | 12 comments Has anyone read Untouched by Anna Campbell? The Historical Romance group is reading it.

message 28: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments I'm not sure about the Audio book thing. I'll have to check on that. I'll let you know.

Haven't read Anna Campbell. I'll look for her next tiome I go to the book store.

message 29: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments I just finished a book by Joann Ross Legends Lake. I thought that one of you all might like it because it is based in Ireland (I know it isn't Scotland), and the heroine is a Druid witch. Although this one is a contemporary romance, it is a little reminisent of Outlander. I enjoyed the book and hope you will too.

message 30: by Ruth (last edited Jun 08, 2009 11:44AM) (new)

Ruth | 13 comments I loved these books so much that when I got to the last one I made myself read it slowly because I didn't want them to end. So glad to hear there is a new one about to be released. I have read the series of books by Ariana Franklin, Mistress of the Art of Death, Grave Goods and The Serpents Tale. Ariana also writes under the name Diana Norman, probably the real name and I like her series that starts during the beginning of the American Revolution , they are A Catch of Consequences, The Sparks Fly Upward, and Taking of Liberites. I hope for more of these as well.

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 16 comments Ruth, I love the Adelia Aguilar series by Ariana Franklin, too. I just finished Grave Goods a couple of books ago. I knew that the author wrote under at least one other name, too, but I haven't gotten around to reading any of them yet. I'll have to take a look at the ones you mentioned.

A good series that takes place in the Victorian era is Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey series. My last book was her latest, Silent On The Moor, and although I hated the new covers for these books, I thoroughly enjoyed the contents. The first two in the series are Silent In The Grave and Silent in the Sanctuary. Hopefully, you can still find those two in the original covers. Great mystery and romance.

message 32: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 13 comments thank you for the ideas Kathy. I haven't read any of the Adelia Aguilar series so shall look for them. I have read all the Deanna Raybourn books and like them very much. My neice Emma, who invited me to this website refers to the covers on many of the books as the headless women covers. Must say that the Outlander series is still my all time favorite.

message 33: by Erika (new)

Erika | 64 comments Suzanne Frank, did a time travel series about Egypt, they are a bit hard to find in print but they are great the first one is REFLECTIONS OF THE NILE, SHADOWS ON THE AEGEAN AND SUNRISE ON THE MEDITERRANEAN.

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 16 comments Ruth wrote: "thank you for the ideas Kathy. I haven't read any of the Adelia Aguilar series so shall look for them. I have read all the Deanna Raybourn books and like them very much. My neice Emma, who invit..."

LOL, Ruth. I love Emma's description of the covers.

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi The Raybourn books are fun to read-- a lot more mystery than romance, which is a good combination. There are three altogether-- anyone read the third? I was slightly disappointed with the third-- the first two are the best!

message 36: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 16 comments Heidi wrote: "The Raybourn books are fun to read-- a lot more mystery than romance, which is a good combination. There are three altogether-- anyone read the third? I was slightly disappointed with the third-- t..."

Yes, Heidi, I just finished the 3rd book. I really enjoyed it, as I'm a sucker for a moor setting. I, also, was glad to see some resolution to Julia's and Brisbane's relationship. However, I probably would choose the 2nd, Silent in the Sanctuary the best of the 3.

message 37: by Erika (new)

Erika | 64 comments wow thanks for the suggestion of the into the wilderness series, I am on page 100 of the first book and can't put it down, time to go to the used book store to find the rest.

message 38: by Mellady77 (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 13 comments I read Divine by Mistake by PC Cast and while it has verra little in common with Outlander, the main character does mention she likes to get lost in Diana Gabaldon's Scotland.

message 39: by Cristina (new)

Cristina | 5 comments Hello, I am new to this group, just discovered the Outlander series, am reading "Drums of Autumn" now. Hope to be caught up when the new one comes out in September!

Another series that is loosely (very loosely) similar is the "Poldark" saga by Winston Graham. It is old (I started reading in high school, a long time ago!) It is about a Cornish soldier returned from the American Revolution ,who finds his love married to his cousin, he somewhat reluctantly marries someone else...I'll bet you know what happens! Of course, there is no time travel aspect & it is nowhere as racy as Outlander, but is very good.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan (susansch27) | 2 comments If you like historical fiction, one of the best ever is Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. It isn't time travel at all, but absolutly one of the best books I have ever read. Completely unlike any other Ken Follett books. A good long read too at 900 some pages. He finally wrote another book that continued in the same location, 2 centuries later, World Without End. I loved them both.

message 41: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) If there are any historical paranormal fans in the group, might I suggest Blood Tears by Raven Dane. It has a very epic and historical feel plus it's rich in detail. It feels like a paranormal Outlander in the way it's written rather than the storyline and I really enjoyed it! It's a thick book and the start to a trilogy, I believe.

message 42: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments To me the time travel aspect is secondary or farther down the line. That isn't why I like the books. It is all of the complex relationshops and the historical knowledge that I gain.

message 43: by Cristina (new)

Cristina | 5 comments Wendy wrote: "To me the time travel aspect is secondary or farther down the line. That isn't why I like the books. It is all of the complex relationshops and the historical knowledge that I gain."

You might enjoy the "Poldark" series, then!

message 44: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments I'll look for them Thanks!

message 45: by Mellady77 (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 13 comments The Dark Highlander series...

message 46: by Dawnie (new)

Dawnie | 1 comments You might enjoy the following:

The Bronze Horseman/Tatianna and Alexander by Paullina Simons

Tea Rose/Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnely

Gracelyn OMalley/LEaving Ireland/Til Morning Light by Ann Moore

message 47: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1 comments I just re-read the entire outlander series and am waiting very impatiently for Echo to come out! I am going to the library right now with a list of all your great suggestions! One book that I love is The Far Pavilions by M. M. Kaye. Another that is out of print that I would love to re-read if I can ever find it is called The hanging skyby Shirley Corlett. It follows an ancient Maori tribe in New Zealand into present day.

message 48: by Kelly (last edited Aug 23, 2009 07:22PM) (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments I came to Outlander after reading Twilight. I wanted to find another Edward. Of course I did even better and found Jamie! I also read into the wilderness by Donati and liked it alot. If I read it before Outlander I would have probably loved it. Another book I read and really enjoyed is Bitten by Kelley Armstrong the lead male is funny dry, witty etc. I really liked Armstrongs writing. It is about warewolves but it is really quite good.

message 49: by Erika (new)

Erika | 64 comments I really like Kelly Armstrong too it's like twilight for adults, I have read 4 of the women of the underworld series and loved them all.

message 50: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments I have only read Bitten. But am looking forward to reading the others. Another series that I read recently and enjoyed is the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr. They are YA. Didn't think I would be able to read about fairies but after warewolves and vampires why not!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24