Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > paperbackswap.com

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jess (last edited Jan 27, 2009 06:18PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just joined that website paperbackswap.com, and as the name implies, you post books and then send them to people as they request. You can then request books through the website as well.

For people that are already on the website, does it work well? Even though I joined, I feel like people won't send the books.. or something like that. And can you just use credits received by sending and posting books.. or do you need to put money into it to get those credits?

Any opinions?

message 2: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Jan 27, 2009 09:57PM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic PBS is great! Any questions you can ask the Lib. or browse the help files. I've been there about a year and made over hundred trades. If you don't get a book you get your credits back. You can buy credits but its just as easy to earn them free by swapping. Join www.swapadvd.com and trade your own credits for PBS credits. Ex 1 DVD credit = 3 BOOK credits. So that's another way to get massive amounts of credits.

Don't list more than you plan to trade. Feel free to post all your books but use the "hold" book fea. Don't go on vacation b/c that holds your entire book shelf and you won't get WL (Wish List) offers. The more WL books you have listed the better. Check out forums for free books, 3for1 deals, games, swaps, and more.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Thanks kenjii! I just got a request today for two of my books.. how exciting :) lol. People at the post office are going to think that I'm mailing out a bomb or something. the package looks terrible. But that's okay.. I will get my credits and then I can get more books! woo hoo. Exchanging old books for new books, how fantastic!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments what's your id on there? I am on pbs too! or you can add me on your buddy list: http://Howardgirls2003.paperbackswap.com

message 5: by Jess (last edited Jan 28, 2009 01:02PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I have an ID? lol... I'll figure it out haha. I think I sent you a request Laura.. maybe? lol

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Jess wrote: "Thanks kenjii! I just got a request today for two of my books.. how exciting :) lol. People at the post office are going to think that I'm mailing out a bomb or something. the package looks terribl..."

Jess: That is how I feel. Old for new. Postage is really not that big a deal. Couple bux. Plus if you learn to wrap using just he 2 sheets printed from PBS you save on packaging (envies, bubble wrap etc). I use old boxes from food packages to boxes people send me my books.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Laura wrote: "what's your id on there? I am on pbs too! or you can add me on your buddy list: http://Howardgirls2003.paperbackswap.com
"

Thanks Laura!

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 28, 2009 01:11PM) (new)

Welcome to PBS, I've been a member for two years and swapped several hundred books. Definately keep a big wish list. PBS membership is large so your post office is probably already familiar with it, just wrap securely and use lots of good packing tape. You don't have to pay any money unless you purchase credits or postage. I keep a small balance, 'cause I like to use Delivery Confirmation. I feel better knowing the book has been delivered/received, and I get my credit for the book when the Post Office logs it into their system (about midnight).

I'd advise you get familiar with the rules for book condition, shipping, etc. The boards can get cranky, so avoid them unless you are there for the games & deals.

Check out the buddy feature, 'cause friends can see one anothers wish list and post books directly to them even if it bypasses the wait lists. I think Kenjii and I use the same nicknames at PBS.

Feel free to ask questions, I may even know the answer!

message 9: by Jess (last edited Jan 28, 2009 01:11PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I keep feeling like the post office isn't going to mail them with just the paper... I think I wrapped it well enough and it has tape on it. So it should hold up well. I even wrapped the books in a plastic bag before putting the paper around it.

i think mine is http://penguin5x.paperbacksawp.com

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Jess: you misspelled swap..try again...lol

Unapologetic_Bookaholic On stamps.com the DC is on 18 cents. So I use there system. Using DC on PBS if free but you can only use it for their books. I can print postage from stamps.com for all my mail. It is worth it to me.

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments oops.. so that would be http://penguin5x.paperbackswap.com :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 28, 2009 01:39PM) (new)

I purchase DC at PBS and it's printed on my PBS mailing label, I pay about 17 cents to PBS for it. Then when I mail the book at USPS I pay postage and another DC fee. It's optional, but I prefer the security tracking the package (I'm so anal sometimes).

Good job with the plastic underwrap Jess, not everyone does that yet! Some areas have real climate issues, and I've heard of books arriving completely soaked. Just avoid scotch tape, per PBS guidelines. I use a good quality clear packing tape, even over the DC barcode and addresses. A new USPS clerk may look at it funny (officially they can bitch about that), but everything still scans and it's protected from the rain.

I recently received a book, thankfully wrapped in plastic, that had gotten enough rain the address was BARELY readable and the DC barcode was unusable. Must have been damaged early on 'cause USPS never scanned it into their system and the DC fee was wasted. I just felt lucky the address was readable enough to get the book to me!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Denni: That is what I do to. I like to be able to track everything!!! =)

Jess: Thanks I added you =)

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Well I just sent out 4 books, but I didn't realize that I wouldn't get credit until the people marked it as being received. (I didn't get the stamp through pbs). I hope people are honest about getting their books :(

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 29, 2009 01:16AM) (new)

No worries Jess, most PBS book transactions go very smoothly. I've sent lots of books and only had two or three that weren't quickly marked received. Remember, if you sent Media Mail it can take 3 days to 3 weeks.

Books that weigh 7 oz or under are actually cheaper to send first class, and arrive sooner! I don't tape over the Media Mail portion of the label, so it can easily be changed at the post office.

I friended you & Laura :-)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic If you have any concerns or questions post them here. We'll be happy to help until you are more familiar w/ PBS =)

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments I sent my first book out last week, and didn't wrap it, now I feel bad... Good thing she recieved it ok!
I will do that next time!

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah, I ended up using masking tape on mine.. and the woman at the post office said that next time she wouldn't mail it out and I had to use packaging tape. OOPS :)

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments why is that?

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Apparently you're not supposed to use masking tape. It wasn't clear tape so many that's why? I'm not sure.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I believe masking tape is not see through right? Well packing tape seals the best. When going through the PO machines the "lasers" that read the packages can mess up when other tape is used. Can get caught up with tape peeling.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments Oh!!! I understand now. Hey Kenjiii, you mentioned something before about doing b4b swaps, how does that sort of thing work? I don't really understand the box of books type of thing on pbs.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Box of Books (BOB) is a paid service. $8 a year. You do not need to use credits and usually send the swapper the same amount of books you request from them. B4B swaps that I have done using PBS is where I post a book to the person's WL and then credit them back the credit that is given to me for swapping that book. Basically you are using the PBS system (psotage/tracking) but not the credits.

message 25: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) I am a member of PBS. Love it. The Love and Romance forum is great. The paranormal forum is good, too. Officially I have mailed out 281 books since I joined, and received 425. That's not counting freebies from deals. I am addicted! I am trying to limit myself and not spend more than $25 a month there. I have gotten SO many excellent books! I prefer to ship mine out either using PBS postage or PBS DC. That way I can track my books. PBS is great!!!

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments I haven't gotten into any deals yet..:(
Although, today I ordered Dante Valentine and she sent me one for free that has a few splotches on 2 pages, so I guess that's a deal!!

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 31, 2009 10:32PM) (new)

Anne, My earlier posts about PBS look so negative. It's a great site, with a large membership, and very user friendly. Obviously I was still feeling the pain from a discussion with a few cranky peeps on the PBS threads...long story.

-Great site
-Mind the rules
-Avoid discussion forums unless you're gaming or swapping (they need forum mods like Greatreads)
-Have fun!

message 28: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) Denni, have you tried the love & romance forum?? or the paranormal forum? I think they are wonderful, especially L&R. very friendly! the main rule is, don't post asking for WL books, unless you are in the thread where they are offered, and you are responding to someone's offer. they are great forums for book discussion.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 01, 2009 09:05PM) (new)

"Don't ask for books, don't ask for additional credits, don't, don't, don't..." gives me a headyache. I just want to swap books not play games or do the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" waltz. I frustrate myself sometimes.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments Ya, I don't know any of those rules, I just browse the selection. I wish I could load my to-read list from here to pbs wish list, that would be much easier! Normally I stay away from forums, other than this one, I get too frustrated.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Laura: I believe you can import you pbs list to here. Let me check on that and get back to ya!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Last time I did this was from PBS to Shelfari I think. I converted my list to a csv file. Then came to PBS and browsed my files and uploaded. I believe the csv file is through notepad. there is also a xls and txt file, if you know those programs.

message 33: by B (last edited Feb 02, 2009 08:47AM) (new)

B | 82 comments I just joined PBS and I'll be adding books today. (My local library has a book sale going on, and I think the paperbacks are included -- $1 a bag!!)

My concern is always the packing and shipping aspect (that's what's always held me back from doing things on eBay).

So what you do is wrap the book in a bag (what kind? like a ziploc?) and then wrap it in the 2 pieces of paper with packing tape, and it's done?

And then for shipping, you pay for the shipping through PBS and then you can ship as is? I was confused because someone here said something about paying for PBS shipping and then paying for USPS shipping?

I definitely want delivery confirmation. Sounds like you can do that with PBS? Is that the USPS DC, or a separate PBS DC? Or ?

Thanks for the help. :)

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 02, 2009 09:32AM) (new)

Welcome Bonnie! PBS makes shipping very simple.

Review the rules for book condition, no torn or missing covers, cleaved spines, writing or stains on text pages, ARCs, etc.

Since I joined, plasic has gone from optional to recommended. I've received books in baggies, downsized plastic shopping bags, and several other variations. The most common is just household Saran Wrap. Just cover the book to avoid weather accidents during shipping. I have received wet packages, thankfully (so far) the books inside were dry.

Choose postage option. 1) label only no postage, take it to your post office, 2) print Delivery Confirmation on label (small charge) and take to PO for postage, or 3) Purchase any combination of postage and/or DC directly from PBS. I've become a fan of printed Delivery Confirmation because they can be tracked from the PBS website, but be aware there is a PBS fee in addition to the USPS fee.

Note: packages over 13 oz. and bearing stamps have to be handed over the counter to a postal employee, per the homeland security act. Apparently with pre-printed postage labels, the paper trail is sufficient, and these can be mailed from anywhere (with one rural route exception).

Print the label. There are several choices, I use the one on the left for single books (2 sheets), and the one on the right for attaching to mailers (1 sheet for oversize books). For mailers, I cut the label off & enclose the bottom half with book.

Using two layers of printer paper, wrap the plastic covered book. Use lots of Packing tape, scotch tape isn't sufficient. I use a very clear tape, and even cover the DC barcode and address (protection from our rainy climate).

Mail as usual. It probably sounds more complicated than it really is. PBS is very user friendly and should walk you through it easily. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me (or Kenjii). You also have a PBS tour guide that can answer questions. You will find the tour guide link at the top of your "messages" page and/or in your buddy list.

I'm fangrrl @ PBS

PS - feel free to recycle plastic wrap, mailers, or whatever can be reused!

message 35: by B (new)

B | 82 comments Thanks Denni! Very helpful!! I'm bonnieb @ PBS. :)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll buddy you. Buddys can check out one anothers wish lists, and post books directly to their friends (including wish listed books).

message 37: by B (new)

B | 82 comments Great! Thanks!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Hi Bonnie welcome to PBS. I am Daalmonette over there btw =) Denni is a big helper =)

message 39: by B (last edited Feb 02, 2009 11:45AM) (new)

B | 82 comments Thanks Kenjii. :) I added you.

What if the cover image that's coming up from the ISBN is different from the one that's on my book -- do people care about that? Should I be noting it somewhere?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Kenjii!

message 41: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Feb 02, 2009 01:21PM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Unless people make a big deal in their requests BEFORE you accept their swap, then no, I don't believe it's a big deal. As long as the ISBN matches that's what matters to PBS.

Hi Denni =)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Kenjii. In fact, I think when you post a book to your shelf, there is a note that addresses that issue...one of the boxes you have to click through. I think it says the cover doesn't have to match exactly, and goes on to ask if the book is in postable condition.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Okay, so maybe this has been explained already and I'm being dense, but let me ask this.

You do have to pay postage for the books you mail out, correct?
The web site says if it's less than 13 oz, you can mail it from home. How do you pay postage doing it this way? Do you just use stamps? How do you know how much postage to use?

This sounds like a good service, but there's no way I'm running to the post office every time. The PO is only open when I'm at work...

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 02, 2009 03:17PM) (new)

Yes, you pay postage when you mail books out. And yes, you can use stamps. When you print a shipping lable, there is a suggested postage amount noted where the stamps should go. I mailed that way for quite a while, can be handy especially if you keep some $1 stamps available.

You can purchase a postage scale, PBS or elsewhere, and figure postage that way (or if you wish to double check). For books 7 oz or smaller it can actually be cheaper (and faster) to send them first class. Just cross off Media Mail and substitute First Class Mail.

Many people who can't get to the Post Office choose to purchase postage directly from PBS. You buy blocks like $10 in their storefront, then when you print shipping labels check the option that prints postage directly onto your label. Again, just mail anywhere handy (the 13 oz rule doesn't apply to these).

I think we already covered the USPS rules for mail over 13 oz. Most MMPB and Trade paperbacks will weigh less than 13 oz.

message 45: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments So excited... just got my first 2 books from people today. Woo hoo.. I also got a nice message from someone thanking me for wrapping the book I sent out in plastic. Yay, I didn't mess it up.

I just put like 20.00 into an account so I can buy the stamps through the website. That way I get the instant credit and can get even more books. :)

I'm still a little confused about the posting a book directly to someone's site. Granted, I haven't really taken the time to explore the site.. laziness has prevailed.

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments what did ya get, Jess?

message 47: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 132 comments I wanted to check this site out but I really like keeping my books :P

message 48: by B (new)

B | 82 comments Tricia -- my local library has a regular book sale (bookshelves full) and they had a special going on where you fill up a bag for $1. I got 23 paperbacks (I'll keep three until I read them :) ) and now I can list and swap on PBS without giving away the books I want to keep! I already have one request, and two possible holds from other members -- fun!!!

message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 02, 2009 07:34PM) (new)

Yeah Jess, what 'cha get?

No worries Tricia, there may be an option that fits your reading tastes also. 1) Some people prefer to buy credits from PBS, I believe there is a limit on the monthly number. 2) Like Bonnie mentioned, some members like to buy books especially to swap. Especially effective if you are blessed with a good UBS, FOL program, etc. I hear from people that frequently find tradesize and high demand paperbacks for $1 or $2, which they post into the system for their credits.

PBS Wish Lists are useful things, these are books people want but no copies are available yet. Go to your buddy list and one of the option buttons will say "wish list". You can view them individually that way, and will get a good idea of what your cyber-friends are reading and what books to watch for if you find a great sale. If you want to give a book to a friend, go to their wish list and find the button that says something like "post this book". Selecting this option for your buddy will bypass the wait list, and send your book directly to the friend. The rest of the transaction is managed in the usual way by the PBS system. ;-) Sometimes you may need to remind a friend they want to add a particular book to their wish list!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone familiar with this website? www.booksalefinder.com

« previous 1 3