Writer's Paradise discussion

Writers H-M > Just writing...

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Today is the 27th of January. Let's begin.

message 2: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (last edited Jan 27, 2009 03:52PM) (new)

Kenzie | 1305 comments Mod
Good luck! What's your word count goal?

message 3: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Thanks, I'll start with 500 words.

Just wondering, should I post what I write within a comment or should I link to it?

message 4: by Roni, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

Roni (V_A_B) | 727 comments Mod
You don't have to do either, but you can do one or the other, or even both! Just keep track of what you write!

message 5: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Awesome, I just finished my first piece.

It came out to 919 words... which I was surprised to find out. If I had known I would have gone for 1000, too bad goodreads doesn't let you know how many words you typed.

Check it out if you have some time. I'm pretty pleased with it. It has plenty of potential for more great writing.

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

message 6: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments ohhh... intriguing... me likey!

message 7: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Dee Marie (Dee_Marie) | 3382 comments Mod
Hey Larry,

Welcome to the group :)

message 8: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Oh you used lollygagging...what fun!

message 9: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments lol...that's my mom's fav word. That and "UNBELIEVABLE!" (not the good kind)

message 10: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Hello Dee, Paige, Veronica, and Kenzie. Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

Lollygagging hahaha I can't remember where I first heard or read that word but somehow I think it sounds ridiculous but gets the point across. Which is why I love using it. lol.

I have to admit though that story was not supposed to end like that but I had to stop writing and I didn't want to end it without some form of ending so it dawned on me that having the story teller be interrupted and giving him a chance to tell another story in the future was the best bet.

We'll see what comes out for day two.

message 11: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Hey Larry, be sure to let us know when you add more to your tale :)

message 12: by Larry (last edited Jan 29, 2009 12:23AM) (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Ok I have to be honest I had a real busy day today so I got home about an hour ago but I was determined that I had to write at least 500 words before I went to sleep. So I wrote a new chapter but didn't connect it to yesterdays piece, yet that is. I stopped at 500 words but I have a pretty good idea of what I want to write for it. So I'll update it again tomorrow.

I'll go back to Gregory later....

message 13: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Way to go :)

message 14: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments good work,

message 15: by Larry (last edited Jan 29, 2009 02:59PM) (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments I updated it a little more. Still not finished but I got my 500 in today. hahaha sweet!

message 16: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

I like Chapter 2. Very intriguing

message 17: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments way to get it done!!!!

message 18: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Okay so yesterday was super busy again and I got home really late and fell asleep. But I woke up early to make up for it. So I wrote another 700 words for yesterday!

It's getting good!

I have soccer practice so I have to stop writing but I'll continue when I get back!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome!

message 20: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Ok, so I decided to start a new chapter cuz chapter 2 was getting pretty long. The new chapter is here...

I got my 500 words in for today and I'll continue with chapter three again tomorrow. Yay! I'm loving this story!

On a side note, I twisted my ankle playing soccer and now it hurts. Anyone know what I can do to make it feel better.

Also, I'm just about to go see Taken, anyone see that yet?

message 21: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Just got back from watching Taken. Wow, it was an amazing movie! I recommend everyone to go see it.

It's an amazing world we live in for us to be able to live happy lives while others are suffering at the very same time. Money, greed, and corruption will always exist but I can only feel sorry for the countless lives killed and those being harmed for their pursuit. I hope no one ever has to go through anything like in the movie. I hope everyone going through it right now can find a way to escape, to fight another day, to be rescued. I hope that their lives can be just as happy as mine someday. And I hope that there is someone out there, someone that is looking to help these people and release them from the clutches of the men who want to use them for slaves, prostitution, and money. I hope...

message 22: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (Taleoflostink) | 1367 comments hi larry!

message 23: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Hey Larry,

I haven't seen the movie, but I did see the trailer. One thing that is very confusing, when the dad tells the girl to "hide under the bed" and a few moments later, he tells her "The next part is very important...they are going to take you" ...

It gives the impression that the dad knew all along that his daughter was going to be "taken," So, why did he tell her to hide in the first place? And was he in on the kidnapping?

The movie looks both powerful and violent.

So, why were the girls taken in the first place?

message 24: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Dee wrote: "Hey Larry,

I haven't seen the movie, but I did see the trailer. One thing that is very confusing, when the dad tells the girl to "hide under the bed" and a few moments later, he tells her "The n..."

Spoiler alert, very little though...

Well the dad is ex-government special forces. He and his wife were separated, so when his daughter wanted to go to Paris with a friend he had to sign an agreement to let her go. He didn't want to let her go but the daughter and his ex made a big deal about it and finally convinced him to sign the agreement. But he did so with three conditions, that she'd call when she got in to paris, that she'd call every night, and that she'd tell him wherever she went. Well the girls get to Paris and meet a young man who is nice and offers them a ride into Paris. Once he drops them off at one of the girls aunts house he calls someone telling them the address of the house. The main characters daughter goes to the restroom and her dad calls her. Trailer scene pretty much, where she sees her friend getting kidnapped. Well she's telling this to the dad and he tells her to calm down and hide under the next rooms bed. Then that's when he tells her that the next part is very important, that they are going to take her. But he does it so that he could record the conversation of the kidnappers as they come into the room. By hiding under the bed it gave her more time to hide and pick up on the kidnappers conversations. Her dad tells her that when they take her to leave the phone on the floor and yell everything she notices about them. Black hair, blonde hair, scars, five feet tall, moustache, stuff like that. They take her and one of the kidnappers picks up the phone. Trailer again, main character tells him he'll find him, bad guy says good luck. And that's the first five minutes of the movie. I really didn't spoil much but no, the dad was not involved in the kidnapping. He was just prepared for it because of his prior job in the government. The reason the girls were taken were because of a new group of people in Paris that kidnap foreign girls and turned them into sex slaves or prostitutes. So it is a great movie in that it is a very good action movie and it is also an eye opener kind of film like Crash, Man on Fire, etc.

So I recommend it and hopefully I didn't ruin much of the movie for anyone reading this.

message 25: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Tale_of_lost_ink wrote: "hi larry!"

Hey! How are you this wonderful Sunday morning!?

message 26: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Thanks Larry,

I appreciate that you took the time to explain, far less confusing. Thanks tons

message 27: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Dee wrote: "Thanks Larry,

I appreciate that you took the time to explain, far less confusing. Thanks tons"

No problem Dee!

message 28: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments :D

message 29: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments Ok so I totally forgot to post that I'd updated my story. I wrote another 500 words today, so YAY!

How about that game? I'm currently in Phoenix but I'm not a Cardinals fan. I still went for them but in all honesty I didn't care who won. However, with that said I thought it was a great game. It reminded me of a college football game. It came down to the last drive. It was awesome. Commercials on the other hand sucked! Why were there so many car commercials, didn't they just have a bailout. Did they really need to spend so much money for a superbowl ad.

hahaha, well I hope everyone had a great weekend! I'll be updating again tomorrow!

message 30: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (Taleoflostink) | 1367 comments thanks larry,

message 31: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Loved the game...totally awesome right down to the very last minute. It was so much closer than I thought it would be. Great plays by both sides.

I liked the Bud commercials, but then I love horses and dogs. Cracked me up when the big Clydesdale played fetch with the tree limb.

message 32: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Oh, and fantastic word count...go Larry :)

message 33: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 16 comments My favorite commercials that played yesterday were the E-Trade baby, the Teleflora (the one with the box of talking flowers), and the Cheetos commercial! But I also wish this one would have won the Doritos competition and been aired cuz it's hilarious check it out, http://video.aol.com/video-detail/sup....

Alllrriigghht, I'm off to school! I'll see everyone later.

message 34: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments ttyl

message 35: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Hey Larry,

I like how your story is progressing. You have a wonderful rhythm to your words.

Please drop me a note when you post more to your tale of the book collectors.

message 36: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments :D