Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Barbie Z's 2009

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbie (new)

Barbie 3. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Disturbing but a page turner. Not for the faint of heart.

message 2: by Melanie (last edited Jan 27, 2009 08:24PM) (new)

Melanie | 487 comments Hi Barbie - Just read this too and also could not put it down. Heard that it was the first in a proposed series.

message 3: by Barbie (new)

Barbie Yes, i heard later it is going to be at trilogy because I was a little put out by the ending! Wondering if Peeta will turn against Katniss now...:)

message 4: by Barbie (new)

Barbie 4. Mutant Message Down Under
Given to me by a friend. Researched this to discover it's considered complete fiction and offensive to Aborigines as well as Aussies.

message 5: by Barbie (new)

Barbie 5. Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
6. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Both WONDERFUL young adult novels. Strong female characters. Graceling is fantasy - adventure and Chains historical fiction account of a slave girl during revolutionary war era America.

message 6: by Barbie (new)

Barbie 7. Debbie Harry sings in French
YA novel about a teenage boy questioning his sexuality.

message 7: by Barbie (new)

Barbie 8. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimen
9. Izzy Wily Nily by Cynthia Voight

message 8: by Barbie (new)

Barbie 10. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
11. Are Prisons Obsolete? by Angela Davis
12. Saavy

message 9: by Barbie (new)

Barbie 12. Learning To Drive and other stories by Katha Pollitt. Thougth provoking book of essays about women's issues from communism to feminism to botox.

message 10: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments great job on 10+

message 11: by Dini (new)

Dini Barbie, what did you think about Oryx and Crake? I've read Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale and thought it was amazing.

message 12: by Barbie (new)

Barbie 12. Netherland

message 13: by Barbie (new)

Barbie Mary Todd wrote: "great job on 10+"

THANKS!

message 14: by Barbie (new)

Barbie Dini wrote: "Barbie, what did you think about Oryx and Crake? I've read Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale and thought it was amazing."

I REALLY like it. It's a satirical but thought provoking commentary on where we might be headed in the future. Told in flashback by a narrator called "Snowman", the story tells about basically the end of humans due to technology and our own greed and misplaced values. Parts are very amusing but is also very depressing! The Road by Cormac McCarthy is another dystopic/post apocolypse book but without the funny bits.

message 15: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Barbie wrote: "Dini wrote: "Barbie, what did you think about Oryx and Crake? I've read Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale and thought it was amazing."

I REALLY like it. It's a satirical but thought provoking comment..."

You may like Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut - I suggested it to a GR friend here recently and she said that it reminded her very much of the style of Oryx & Crake. Having myself loved Galapagos and The Handmaid's Tale, I have a feeling Oryx & Crake is one I would like too.

message 16: by Barbie (new)

Barbie 13. True Detectives by Jonathan Kellerman
14. Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer ? Just had to...
15. Time is a River by Mary Alice Monroe
16. The Film Club by David Gilmour
a memoir. LOVED This book! About a Canadian journalist who allowed his son to drop out of high school if he watched 3 films with him each week. Great father/son bonding and coming of age with film history and info.

message 17: by Barbie (new)

Barbie 17. Pieces of Georgia
Great coming of age YA book written in prose about a young artist

message 18: by Barbie (new)

Barbie 18. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson