The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 79 comments Ok, so my husband mentioned GR has a contest for free books. You sign up and maybe you get picked. Has anyone seen this? And why can't I find it??? Do I need more coffee? I know I am tired, but really?

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Go the explore scroll option, click on explore, scroll down a bit and then you'll see the contest area.

message 3: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 79 comments oh. that was easy. thank you, (G)Emma! :)

*filling up coffee cup*

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments You're welcome!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments i always enter and I never win! :(

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I enter the ones that look really interesting, thinking, if I'm not greedy, maybe I'll win. I don't!

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 342 comments I entered and entered and entered and didn't win anything for months. And then in about a 4-week period, I won two.

I won one of the books in early December--still haven't gotten it. Then I won another one in early January and the author sent it to me right away. I got it last week so will probably read it fairly soon...it's pretty short so it shouldn't take long.

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments I won one of the very 1st giveaways and haven't won since :(.

JG (Introverted Reader) I've won two. Which reminds me that I really need to bump the unread one up to the top of the tbr...

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10020 comments Mod
I enter but never win. Im just not lucky that way.

message 11: by Robin (last edited Jan 28, 2009 09:30PM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments I won one !

Oh and BTW - my husband's second book is coming out in April so the publisher has 5 of his copies up for this giveaway. Click here

message 12: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments It is a pity it is practically always only for the US.

message 13: by Sarita (new)

Sarita (saritalijohnson) I've signed up for what seems like a million, and today I won one! It's American Rust A Novel by Philipp Meyer American Rust A Novel. Keep in mind that some giveaways list only 1 or 2 copies available, or even 10. The occasional one lists up to 100 (which is the case with American Rust A Novel). Each giveaway page lists how many copies are available and how many people are already requesting. It's a good thing to keep in mind when you're calculating your odds. ;) All-in-all, it's a great program, since there doesn't seem to be any limit to the number of books you can sign up to win, and so far there has been a decent variety of listings at any given time.

Fair winds, and happy reading!
Sarita

message 14: by Connie (last edited Mar 04, 2009 05:27PM) (new)

Connie | 188 comments I won one today, too! Elizabeth Bergs's novel:

The Year of Pleasures A Novel

I'd wanted to win American Rust as well, but I guess I didn't.

Btw, there happened to be 300 copies available of the Berg novel. Good odds!

message 15: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments Hey, Connie, I won that one, too! I also won Loyalty's Web by Joyce DiPastena in November. Hopefully, The Year of Pleasures is better than that one.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I won The Year of Pleasures, too. I think they had 300 to award, which was nice. I've read one Elizabeth Bert novel. They are "sweet" little things and I purchased another to slip in when I wanted something short, but both throught-provoking and uplifting. I hope this one is the same.

message 17: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments I've read Durable Goods and it's sequel (who's name currently escapes me) and they were great. I also love how they were both short reads that allowed them to be read in one sitting.

message 18: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Wow, great winnings guys.
I never get picked. (mope mope mope)

But thanks for rubbing it all in (just kidding!)
Free books are awesome and deserve a celebration!

message 19: by Connie (new)

Connie | 188 comments Your time will come, Lori. Besides, weren't there a few free books you received from the GR authors simply because you'd asked? Not everyone has your mad powers of persuasion!

message 20: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Yeah, but its different to ASK for one, versus getting PICKED for one. The thrill of winning is what Im missing :)

But you are totally right, free is free, right?!

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) Oh yeah and I want free books too! >.<

Does anyone has a US address for me to use? xD

message 22: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Carol wrote: "Oh yeah and I want free books too! >.<

Does anyone has a US address for me to use? xD"

I want one tooooooo!!!!:-)

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) It´s a movement: Together for US Addresses.

:D

Really, it only has one book for giveaway here in Brazil. It´s just TOO sad.

message 24: by Connie (new)

Connie | 188 comments You are right, Lori; it's fun to WIN. I usually don't get picked for stuff either.

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Yayyyy, I found out today that I won Michal A Novel by Jill Eileen Smith!! First time I've won :-)

message 26: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Yeah for you Jackie.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Yea!! Another TNBBC winner!

message 28: by Bree (last edited Mar 10, 2009 09:48AM) (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) I won a copy of Beat The Reaper a month or so ago...it was the first time I won something (though I have received books from the publishers after entering the contest - but I wasn't chosen as a winner). I received both Sarah's Key and Coventry just by entering and not winning, lol.

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Congrats Bree! Hey, free is free.

message 30: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

wow Bree, that was pretty cool. Just for entering, you got one?!

message 31: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 430 comments Bree, I'm just starting "Beat the Reaper" now and am enjoying it. Very different style, and I like the footnotes. I had to buy my copy though. :-(

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I just won that new book The Girls from Ames A Story of Women and Friendship!! I didn't even know I won it until it showed up on my doorstep! :)

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) hahah that´s funny Linda

message 34: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments I won a book but I haven't received it yet. How long does it usually take? Does anybody know?

message 35: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) It depends who is sending it. I won a book from GR and received it the next week I had gotten the email notice. I've since won again and I'm still waiting for my book. It's been a couple of weeks now. :/

message 36: by Patricia (new)

Patricia I just won My Judy Garland Life by Susie Boyt. I think I entered for a few one day and was so surprised to see a package in my mailbox! I'm going to read and review it within the next few weeks, I hope I like it :-)

message 37: by Allison (new)

Allison I just won Tattoo Machine Tall Tales, True Stories, and My Life in Ink.
I'm surprised, I just discovered the freebies a few weeks ago.
So, I guess they will just mail it since you had to enter your address when you signed up? Or do I need to do something else?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Jackie wrote: "It depends who is sending it. I won a book from GR and received it the next week I had gotten the email notice. I've since won again and I'm still waiting for my book. It's been a couple of weeks n..."

oh yeah, we won that same book Jackie! I haven't gotten mine either.

message 39: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Allison wrote: "I just won Tattoo Machine Tall Tales, True Stories, and My Life in Ink.
I'm surprised, I just discovered the freebies a few weeks ago.
So, I guess they will just mail it since you..."

You give them your address upon entering the contest. So now that you have won you just have to wait by the mail box for it. :-)

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Allison wrote: oh yeah, we won that same book Jackie! I haven't gotten mine either.

Good...I don't feel so worried now since you haven't received yours either.

message 41: by Lauren (last edited May 15, 2009 07:35AM) (new)

Lauren (lmorris) | 91 comments I've won 2 books in the last 2 months. They seem to look at what you like to read and then whether you review what you've gotten. I won Lucky Girl and Bozo Sapiens.

I was hoping to win some of the fiction stuff-the ones I signed up for look interesting. I sign up only for the ones that look like something I would read but I also sign up for a lot-I fugure it increases the odds.

message 42: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 332 comments Lauren wrote: "I've won 2 books in the last 2 months. They seem to look at what you like to read and then whether you review what you've gotten. I won Lucky Girl and Bozo Sapiens."

Hey I won Bozo Sapiens too!

message 43: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments Jackie wrote: "It depends who is sending it. I won a book from GR and received it the next week I had gotten the email notice. I've since won again and I'm still waiting for my book. It's been a couple of weeks n..."

Maybe it's the same book!

message 44: by Kirsty (last edited May 21, 2009 10:50AM) (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 610 comments I've entered A LOT and I've won two so far, but ended up with 3 as the first one I won was the second book and wouldn't have made sense without the first, so the author sent me the first book too. I got Beatrice Beecham's Fete of Fate Book One,Beatrice Beecham's Fete of Fate Book Two and Dead-End Road. I've just finished Dead-End Road and really enjoyed it.

I try to read the books as soon as possible after I get them... I guess in the hope that it'll help me win more!