Simple Country Life discussion

Are you interested in moving to the country?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by cheri (new)

cheri | 4 comments Mod
I'm interested in the reality of moving from the city to the country. Do you have any ideas for reading or suggestions from your own experiences?

message 2: by Linda (last edited Feb 07, 2009 11:34PM) (new)

Linda J J. (LindaJOwens) | 1 comments When I was 14, my family and I moved from a comfortable suburban home with wall to wall carpet, central air and heat, with all the modern conveniences that 1972 could provide in a near to downtown suburb of Houston to the deep-woods country in central Texas. The, ahem... house, was basically a 4 room shack, infested with bats and scorpions. There were no running water, except for what trickled down the creek about 100 yards away. There was electricity, if you call one bare wire hanging down in one room with a pull chain on it with a bare light bulb on the end 'power.' The pharase "out behind the barn" had a literal bare assed feel about it. I shared a corner with my 11 year old brother for bed-space. I bathed in a wash tub in the yard, and if it wasn't too dirty, another person got to use it before it was used to water the cows. It was about 3 months before we had running water and an actual place to plug in an electrical appliance.
I can't say it was all bad, but... (I'm trying to be polite here) it was interesting. I don't camp anymore. Thats just not fun. I've had my fill, thank you.
There were some good times too. It was nice to be a family, all with a common goal. We didn't have a TV, so we played games and took long walks through the property. We had 277 acres to maintain, fences to build, a house to get warmed and some means of feeding ourselves. We were going to be ranchers! Yes! Ok... well, so how do we do that? Believe me, you have to learn fast. That winter it snowed 3 times. No matter that there hadn't been any sort of a winter for decades before.
There were so many things going on. I could probably write a book on it! I learned to make real soap. Not that we had to, but because we could, I guess. I learned to quilt and crochet. I learned how to give cattle shots for all sorts of things. Close your eyes here, and shake your head because you would not belive some of .....
Some of the good things were many time we sit down to eat and everything on that table, well, maybe not the iced tea, but everythig else, we grew it. We planted it, we harvested it, we canned it, froze it or something. Even the beef, we raised it with a bottle, named it 'ChopSteak,' played with it then butchered it.
I won a first place trophy in our local 4-H Club for my own vegetable garden when I was about 15. I had a horse of my own too. All the time I'd lived in the city I wanted a horse but there would have been no way. One day I came home from school - which was MILES away, but thats another story - and I had a horse. She was beautiful. I would either be doing chores, doing homework, or out on my horse for hours. Thinking back, really she was a headstrong old nag, but at the time she was Trigger, Black Beauty and Flicka all rolled into one for me. I sold that old horse and bought a car. Gone downhill ever since!
Anyway, my parents and brother and his family still live in that deep country where life is slower, neighbors bring you a pie and some jelly and jam when they're trees made too much, and the only reason you lock your car is so someone does't put 3 bushels of eggplant in your backseat while you're in town.
I have the best of both worlds. I live in Houston again, and still have that country to go back too when I need to get some fresh air. Which I do on a regular basis. Since the internet can connect us with the world, the country isn't nearly so isolated anymore. But there is still that quietness and solitude that folds you into comfort that the city just can't do.
And you can see the stars. So many...

message 3: by cheri (new)

cheri | 4 comments Mod
I live in Houston too, but was raised in Arkansas for most of my childhood, we had a really simple life and grew most of our own food but we have all the modern conveniences. When I was in junior high we moved to a small town on the outskirts of Houston. When I graduated from high school, I thought I wanted out of the country forever. I met and married and we moved to Houston and now, 21 years later, we realize we want to move to a more simplistic lifestyle are are looking to move towards the Texas Hill Country. I look forward to growing some of my own food again, but I will want to have running water and electricity. That would make for a tough life, but it would really make for some simple living, I just don't prefer to go that simplistic. I bet it's peaceful though, I've considered what it would be like.