Cozy Mysteries discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > What Cozy Mystery are you currently reading? (Archive)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 7,645 (7645 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 152 153

message 1: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (cheesygiraffe) (cheesygiraffe) I didn't see where there was topic about current reads so I thought I'd start one. I hope that was okay.

I'm reading Dead Ex It's a cute series not as funny as Evanovich but along those lines. This is the third in the series. The author is a actress so of course this is set in Hollywood.

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (whalehugger) | 6 comments I'm currently reading The Ghost and Mrs. McClure by Alice Kimberly. Lot of fun, and I love the old hard-boiled detective characters.

message 3: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (cheesygiraffe) (cheesygiraffe) I'm reading Ultraviolet

message 4: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 251 comments I'm reading Death Swatch by Laura Childs. Sadly, I'm not impressed and I won't be getting the rest of the series.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 36 comments I'm reading Wreath of Deception by Mary Ellen Hughes. It's the first in her Craft Corner Mystery series. So far I'm really enjoying it.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol | 23 comments I just finished Bookmarked for Death by Lorna Barrett, the second of her Booktown Mystery series. Not bad, but the main character and her sister can be mighty annoying at times.

On to M.C. Beaton's Death of a Witch, and I've got several other new titles in the wings. There must be a Murphy's Law about library requests all becoming available at the same time!

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 36 comments I'm listening to Strawberry Shortcake Murder on audio right now. I really liked the first book in this series and so far this one is just as enjoyable.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 23 comments I'm starting to read Spin a Wicked Web by Cricket McRae. It's one of the Home Crafting Mystery series, and this one features spinning. Cool. Maybe it'll inspire me to get my spinning wheel and drop spindles back out.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann | 21 comments Carol, what an adorable cat you have! :)

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (countesscarola) | 10 comments Just started The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King--it looks like a good series and I am hoping to read all of them.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth | 621 comments I'm commenting on Carol's note about reading Cricket McRae's book, Spin a Wicked Web. If you're interested in yarns, knitting, and spinning, you might also enjoy Maggie Sefton's knitting series. One of the books focuses on spinning, I think. Cricket, Maggie, and I are all Colorado mystery authors, and they're both great gals!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 14 comments Just started Evil in Carnations by Kate Collins. The latest in the Flower Shop Mysteries. I can't get enough of these characters. Quick, fun reads.

message 13: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (allreadybooked) I love Kate Collins' series too. I can wait to read Evil in Carnations!

message 14: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (plantwoman) You are in for some great reads! I've read all of Laurie King's Sherlock Holmes pastiche series and I absolutely loved every book. I wish she would write more in this series, but I guess she has moved on to other things.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 36 comments I started Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters on audio this morning during my commute. It's a bit slow and dry so I hope it picks up a bit soon. The characters are likable.

message 16: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (allreadybooked) Last night I started "RX for Murder" by Renee B. Horowitz, it's interesting. It's about a pharmacist. Gives me a good insight on what their job is about.

message 17: by Karyn The Pirate (new)

Karyn The Pirate (krazykaryn) | 1 comments Ghost at Work by Carolyn Hart. It is a new series that she is starting, Bailey Ruth mysteries. I let you know how it is as I get more into it.

message 18: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (allreadybooked) I just started a brand new series "Living the Vida Lola" it's about a PI in Sacramento, CA. So far it's great. The author is Misa Ramirez.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 5 comments I'm almost finished with an' oldie "Down the Garden Path" by Dorothy Cannell. I read "The Thin Woman" first and I have "Mums the Word" and "The Widow's Club" waiting in the wings. I also have the new Tamar Myers book "Batter off dead" sitting on my nightstand. There are so many great series, I have loads of lists waiting for me!

message 20: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (allreadybooked) I love Dorothy Cannell. Those are great reads!

message 21: by Tobin (new)

Tobin | 12 comments I just started "The Witch is Dead" by Shirley Damsgaard, one of the Abby and Ophelia mysteries.

message 22: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (allreadybooked) Tobin! I love that series. Plus Shirley Damsgaard is so nice.

I just started "Murder can Run Your Stockings" by Selma Eichler. A Desiree Shapiro Mystery. These are a lot of fun.

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol | 23 comments I'm starting on Aunt Dimity Slays the Dragon by Nancy Atherton. I've read the others in the series - light, fun cozies with a ghostly presence.

message 24: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 116 comments Three of my favourite stress buster authors are Nancy Atherton, Donna Andrews, and Rita Mae Brown; there are others too, but these 3 are guaranteed to get a laugh out of me and a feel-good aftertaste!

message 25: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 116 comments Tobin wrote: "I just started "The Witch is Dead" by Shirley Damsgaard, one of the Abby and Ophelia mysteries."

I just finished "Charmed to Death" another by Shirley Damsgaard, love the humour and the "disenchanted" witch, the non-wannabe, Ophelia. This time she had to work alone, with Abby in the hospital.

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda (lambow) | 2 comments I just finished Tiles and Tribulations and am now reading The Cat Who Lived High

message 27: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 116 comments Sounds like a Tamar Myers book, is it? (the first one)

message 28: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 116 comments My favourite cat mysteries are Midnight Louie series and the Mrs. Murphy (cat) series. Any other favourites featuring animals as the sleuth? Aside from the sleuthing sheep in Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann.

message 29: by Donna (new)

Donna | 11 comments I am really enjoying Death of a Maid by M C Beaton. It is always good to visit with Hamish and the residents of Lochduh.

message 30: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) Does The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency count as a cozy mystery?

I am almost finished it and although I am not sure what I expected this wasn't it! I am enjoying it though.

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (deegirl) | 7 comments i read the NO.1 dectective agency too. it wasn't what I expected eithr but it was good. I am now readng the 2nd book, the tears of the giraffe. so far so good. Tonight HBO is premiering the show based on the book, it is two hrs from 8 to 10 I think.

Just wanted to say I like this group. Lots of good comments.

Some of my favorite readers are kerry greenwood, her phryne Fisher books. I also like her other set about the baker, can't think of the characters name right now. I loved the Amelia Peabody series. love love love janet evanovich's stephaine plum. just finished plum spooky. fast and fun. Debbie Crombie is great too, set in england.

hope to hear more from you all. Happy Sunday.
dee

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) Dee wrote: "i read the NO.1 dectective agency too. it wasn't what I expected eithr but it was good. I am now readng the 2nd book, the tears of the giraffe. so far so good. Tonight HBO is premiering the sho..."

I saw that HBO was premiering the no. 1 detective agency tonight. Unfortunately, we don't get it. Let me know what you thought of it if you get a chance to watch.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Dee - Kerry Greenwood's books are excellent. I haven't kept up with the Phryne Fisher series but I love the Corinna Chapman ones (she's the heroine of the baker series).

message 34: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Bishop (MaggieBishop) I like the Margaret Maron books set in eastern North Carolina. Cathy Pickens writes funny cozies.

http://maggiebishop1.tripod.com

message 35: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (plantwoman) I just got the new entry in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series - "The Miracle at Speedy Motors." I can't wait to read it. I do love this series, and, by the way, I watched the first episode of the new HBO series based on the books last night and found it very true to Smith's writing. I think it is going to be a winner!

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (deegirl) | 7 comments I read the first book and am in the middle of the second one. I like them. I watched the show and agree that it was true to the book. I did find the show a little slow going and mellow, but fun.

And thank you bernadette, I couldn't remember Corinna's name. I love that series, especially since I am a cat person.

message 37: by Andi (new)

Andi (andi1121) | 25 comments Right now I'm reading Aunt Dimity Slays The Dragon, the most recent in the series of Aunt Dimity mysteries by Nancy Atherton. These are light hearted but also have a good level of suspense in them. If pressed for time and don't want to have review a book to remember who's who, these are great. I would recommend starting from Book 1, Aunt Dimity's Death.

message 38: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 71 comments Working on Too Pretty to Die by Susan McBride -- a buddy read with a friend

message 39: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Reading Casting Spells by Barbara Bretton. Very enjoyable.

message 40: by Diannerj (new)

Diannerj | 1 comments I really liked Casting Spells also - have you read anything else by her?

message 41: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 251 comments Currently reading Sue Henry's Alaska Mystery series. Quite a bit of fun so far.

message 42: by Dee (new)

Dee (deegirl) | 7 comments I read the first one is Sue Henry's series and enjoyed it very much. I am a big fan of the Iditarod and alaska. Been there twice, want to go back again. I met Libby Riddles (the first woman to win the Idtarod) and read her book, race across alaska. She is great and so was the book.

I look forward to the next one of Sue Henry's.

message 43: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) Well, I am sad, I took my list of new (to me) cozy mystery authors to our library excited to expand my reading horizons and to my horror none of them were carried by my library.

Just so you know which ones had cuaght my eye from your descriptions, I was giong to check out Kathy Brandt, Laura Childs, Maddy Hunter, Beth Groundwater, India Ink, and Krista Davis. Can you believe not one was there??

Next stop is my bookstore but I can't afford many but I need something to tide me over until I can get one through interlibrary loan. Isn't it funny, I buy loads of books for friends and family but rarely for myself.

Has anyone else ever had difficulties getting their cozy mystery fix from their library?

message 44: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) Thanks Amy:

My library is very good about bringing things in for me - I was just very surprised that they didn't have ANY of the authors I was looking for. I have actually had them acquire books before. Also, our bookclub meets at the library and we use interlibrary loan for that to keep our costs down and the library has been very supportive.

I love libraries and my experiences here in our small town have been wonderful - hence my surprise. ;)

I understand about budgets and I was thinking of posing to our bookclub that we give a donation to he library to say thank you for all of their support.

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan | 5 comments Hi Shannon and Amy,

Just as an aside, I am also a librarian, and an avid user too! I have had the opposite experience of getting books that are no longer in print from the library. One series that comes to mind, which I loved were the Trixie and Evangeline mysteries by Marion Babson. I was lucky that some library somewhere decided to keep them on the shelf! And I agree with Amy -- to all you cozy readers out there -- let your library know what you want, we will get it for you!

message 46: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) I have now been able to get my hands on a book by one of the authors I was looking for by going to the library of Mom! ;)

And I will get our book club to make a donation to our library and maybe with some suggestions to go along with it!

message 47: by Toni (new)

Toni berkshire (starcookie2verizonnet) | 23 comments Ref Shannon's problem with locating the books she wants at library or books store. I had similar trouble and searched for them on amazon.com, buying used copies and saving lots of dollars. My books get passed around to several people and gets lots of use.

message 48: by Carol (new)

Carol (leora) | 3 comments I am reading Agatha Christie's Cat among the Pigeons and Laurie King's Folly. Both very good books.

message 49: by Debby (new)

Debby I am new here, and looking forward to discovering some great books!

Last week I finished A Share in Death, the first book in the Deborah Crombie series with the detective Duncan Kincaid. It was really good. Now I've just started one of the newly reprinted mysteries by Georgette Heyer, called Why Shoot a Butler? I've never read anything by her, but so many people have recommended her books to me lately, that I couldn't wait to try one.

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (deegirl) | 7 comments I really enjoyed the Deborah crombie books too, looking forward to a new one

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 152 153
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.