The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) The Return of the King discussion

What you liked about this book

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maria I really want to know how others thought about the Lord of the Rings, especially this one.
I'm a really big fan of Tolkien so yeah!

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Gosh - there's so much to like! I think the camaraderie between the characters was one of my favorite things. The friendships and loyalties that played out in the books were very beautiful. I think this and each character’s struggles to do what's right.
That's a very sweeping "review," but it's been a few years since I've read the trilogy and those are some of the main points that stay with me.:) A wonderful trilogy - hats off to Tolkien for undertaking such a feat!
Do you have any other books you'd recommend to LOTR fans? I'm not looking for a replacement, but something of a similar flavor?

message 3: by John (new)

John Mundy Well, there are several series that are broadly comparable.

Stephen R. Donaldson - Thomas Covenant (grim, but a good author)

Lloyd Alexander - Chronicles of Prydain (lighter in tone and not as weighty as Lord of the Rings but good characters who grow as the series continues)

Raymond Feist -Good author, though it has been much too long since I've read him

David Eddings (I've just read his first book, but it was good, and it had some humorous exchanges between characters)

Terry Brooks - Sword of Shannara series

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Enjoyed LOTR but preferred the Hobbit. I too liked the relationships, esp. the dwarf and elf of the fellowship (not remembering names right now!)
I recommended Eragon by Christopher Paolini to a friend who adores LOTR and she enjoyed those. There's two out now. The third is due out this summer.

Badgerlord I enjoyed that it wasn't the second book.

Lorilyn Roberts If anybody would like to read by blog comparing CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien, here is a link:

http://lorilynroberts.blogspot.com/20...

Abby Aragon was amazing in this book, itis my favorite book in this series

Geoffrey My problem with the Hobbit was that it read more like a romp through the woods than a ardous, dangerous quest for Dragon gold.

Jediraven Badgerlord wrote: "I enjoyed that it wasn't the second book."

I hear that!

Matthew Ryan There is lot's of good fantasy out there. One of my latest personal favorites is Brandon Sanderson's work. Try his "Mistborn" series.

Sparrowlicious Laura wrote: "Enjoyed LOTR but preferred the Hobbit. I too liked the relationships, esp. the dwarf and elf of the fellowship (not remembering names right now!)
I recommended Eragon by Christopher Paolini to a fr..."

Eragon is a mash-up of all kinds of fantasy novels with the plot of Star Wars.
There are much better authors who were influenced by Tolkien.
One of those good authors is Ursula K. LeGuin. She has a great use of language and creates interesting fantasy worlds. People recommending Paolini give me a serious headache.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked the whole concept of the small saving the mighty. I felt that was the main message of the series - that anyone can stand up against evil.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

What's not to like about this, except the writing style? Tolkien did a fantastic job. The Lord of the Rings is and will always be a masterpiece.