Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments 1932-Today. Very sad. R.I.P.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wow, didn't know about that...maybe I'll pick up some of his material...thanks for the news, Kirk...

message 3: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez) Sad news indeed.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I had to break the news to my ex. He yelled "Shit!" in front of a whole room of second graders.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17294 comments Mod
Wow, that is terrible news. He was a very talented man.

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/pa...

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13814 comments I have never succeeded in reading or liking Updike. In my mind, he was the poster boy for nothing-happens New Yorker fiction, though that may be unfair. I tried the Witches of Eastwick and the first Rabbit book. It's been years, though. Should I try again?

message 7: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments I would definitely try again, Sarah. His style makes him seem slower than I think he was, if only bc he was big on the poetry of phrase. A good, fun (ie salacious) one to start with is COUPLES, which was a bit scandalous in the late 60s for the way it depicted love in the suburbs. Nobody much reads it anymore cause it feels a little dated, but it's still good. (Check out Erik Simon's review, btw---excellent stuff).

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked "S." very much. It's on my best-best-best shelf. It's written all in the form of letters from a lady who has joined a cult. Lots of free love and contradictory philosophies. Hilarious, actually.

I hated Rabbit, Run. And A Month of Sundays and Of the Farm.

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) I never read any of his books. When I went back to college in 1990, I took a general ed English lit course. One of the first stories we read was "A & P" by John Updike. I loved the story and I loved analyzing it. That class and that story was what led me to major in English lit.

message 10: by Meen (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments salacious

I love that word.

(Sorry, I have nothing to contribute on a John Updike thread.)

message 11: by Shana (new)

Shana (Shanac55) | 98 comments Montambo,
I am going to take you recommendation and try S. I just added it to my to-read list. I read your review on Rabbit, Run and I think I'll pass on that one.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.