Positive Dog Training and Care discussion

Your dog > Brags! :D

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alena (new)

Alena (AVAAntares) | 24 comments This is a place where you can share your dog's latest accomplishments! It doesn't have to be a title or a formal award; it can be anything your dog achieves, even learning a new trick. Jump in and share what your dog is doing!

I'll start:

This month, Valenzia earned her CD-H and RL1 titles!

message 2: by Kayla (new)

Kayla This month I am going to take Dakota to a puppy training class.
I already taught her how to sit, lay down, jump and we are working on shake, roll-over and most important come here. :-)

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (crysania) | 13 comments We start a CGC class tonight! I'm really excited and hope we'll have the CGC by the middle of April.

message 4: by Alena (new)

Alena (AVAAntares) | 24 comments Valenzia earned her RL2 over the weekend! :) Two more legs for her RL3... I really need to start training directed jumps, since she hasn't done those before.

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Dakota can now shake. :-)

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (crysania) | 13 comments Oh I never updated. Dahlia got her CGC on April 15. She completed an agility class and had a lot of fun, though she'll never be an agility dog. She's learned "give me your paw" and she's starting to learn "sit pretty" (though her version is to sit with both paws up on you instead of on her own -- gotta work my way up to her balancing on her own).

message 7: by Alena (new)

Alena (AVAAntares) | 24 comments Congrats to Dahlia on her CGC! :D (You may have to work up to balancing slowly, since most dogs don't have the back strength to hold the position very long.)

I completely forgot to post that Valenzia earned her BH (Begleithund) title in May.

message 8: by Michelle (last edited Jul 14, 2009 09:48AM) (new)

Michelle (crysania) | 13 comments I had to look up BH as I'd not heard of it. Congrats on getting the title! Dahlia would do fine with all of that but fail miserably on the one with the gunshots. She'd run off and head to safety over that. She's seriously noise sensitive (as most Border Collie and BC crosses are).

We're working on getting her to balance for just short bits and will hopefully get her to doing it without any need of resting against me. Though honestly, if she does it with just putting her paws on me, it'll be cute anyway! She did balance pretty well when there was warm steak involved so it might need more enticement. lol

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) deleted user wrote: "My dog didnt accomplish anything"

I'm sorry :-) reading this just made me laugh and the sad thing is I can kinda relate. Maggie has stopped barking at the children when they come home from school, and she has been able to go potty all by herself. Those are her great accomplishments :-) As you might know our family adopted Maggie from Golden Retriever Freedom Rescue here in Colorful Colorado two months ago. We are making progress and I'm happy with any steps forward, no matter how small :-)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) Alena wrote: "This month, Valenzia earned her CD-H and RL1 titles!"

I have no idea what this means :-)

message 11: by Alena (new)

Alena (AVAAntares) | 24 comments I'm sorry :-) reading this just made me laugh and the sad thing is I can kinda relate. Maggie has stopped barking at the children when they c..."

That's great progress! :) It can take an adopted dog as long as three months to settle into a new home, so it's a good sign that she's starting to understand the routine and be comfortable.

Dustin wrote: "Alena wrote: "This month, Valenzia earned her CD-H and RL1 titles!"

I have no idea what this means :-)"

/laugh/ Don't worry, you're not the only one! To people in other dog sports, it's just alphabet soup. :)

CD-H is the Companion Dog title for the St. Hubert's Companion Dog Sports Program. It's the equivalent of the AKC's CD title, or the UKC's U-CD title. It's the standard novice-level obedience title.

RL1 is the Rally Level 1 title, which is the first title earned in the Rally Obedience sport. So far Valenzia has earned her RL1 and RL2, and has the first leg of her RL3 (she hasn't finished it because we haven't been to any trials in about ten months, which is my fault).

Oh! And I also have a new brag, which came as a total surprise: Valenzia ranked #13 in the nation in points earned in the Novice division of CDSP! :D

I just got back from Clicker Expo, which was this past weekend in Lexington, KY. I always learn a lot and get great ideas from Expo. This year I saw some fascinating new research on mimicry training in dogs, so now I'm all pumped up to experiment...!

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) Thanks for the explanations - sounds interesting - I really had no idea that people and canines did this kind training :-) I knew service/companion animals are trained but Wow! I hope you'll let me stay even if I'm just interested in basic training. My dog can sit really good :-) but I can't even take the credit for that because she already came with that training :-)

message 13: by Alena (new)

Alena (AVAAntares) | 24 comments Dustin wrote: "I hope you'll let me stay even if I'm just interested in basic training..."

PLEASE DO! I'm always thrilled when people show an interest in their dogs' welfare and training and make an effort to learn more -- especially when they're "just pet owners." :)

I'm also a professional trainer, so feel free to ask if you have any other questions about basic (or other) training. :)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) I'm loving this group so far :-)

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 4 comments Cuno my 4 year old GSD has his CGC and we are currently working towards his BH. I noticed there is another dog who has earned this BH tittle... WTG!

message 16: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8 comments Can't find where I posted about my problems housebreaking Daisy ( my now 7-month old Jack Russell/pug), but I am here to brag that it seems like she finally "got it"! I can't remember who didn't agree with her vet about using the "crate/kennel" method, but have to say that is what I ended up doing and Daisy got the message within a few days. She still does not want to go out when it is raining or has rained, but she now will go to the door and then jump up on the couch for me to hook her leash on. Only 2 accidents in about a month. Now, on to re-enforce some of the fun tricks she has learned.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 4 comments Carolyn wrote: "Can't find where I posted about my problems housebreaking Daisy ( my now 7-month old Jack Russell/pug), but I am here to brag that it seems like she finally "got it"! I can't remember who didn't a..."

Yay, WTG Daisy :-D

message 18: by Erika (new)

Erika Tracy | 4 comments Bronwyn stayed! With an open door and a chipmunk outside it right in front of her! I just can't begin to explain how big a deal that is.