The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > New Kid in Town

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andra (new)

Andra (aezadnik) Hey all!
My name's Andra and I'm a grad student at Boston University getting my Master's in Fine Arts with a concentration in Film Studies.

I adore communities online that are specifically tailored to my specific interests, so I was really excited when I found out about goodreads!

I'm constantly reading to avoid writing my thesis (bad grad student!) and love to hear about new books and recommendations. I recently realized I love epic books. The ones that tell long, life tales. They don't have to be too long or weigh a ton in my bag but they do need to have that something that takes me on a journey I never want to end.

I can't wait to really dig into this group and to goodreads in general. I hope to hear some suggestions and all as soon as possible, and share my insights as well. Thanks guys!

message 2: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Welcome Andra. I know we should tell you to write your thesis but....enjoy the reading!

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9633 comments Mod
Hi Andrea... welcome! Reading is a great reason to avoid those nasty school papers and thesis requirements! Keep up the great work :)

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Welcome Andrea. I always used reading to avoid doing any work at uni. In fact, I'd take a 3 hour lunch just to read over a cup of coffee and a sandwich. I used to work for about 8-10 hour shifts in the uni library though but I always took a one hour break to read my book whilst still in the library. I never felt guilty.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Hi Andra! This is such a fun group, I know you will love it here! There are lots of great discussions to join in on and tons of wonderful book recommendations to look forward to. I look forward to reading your posts :)

I see you are currently reading The Pillars of the Earth...I am SO looking forward to reading that!!!! How are you liking it?

message 7: by Andra (new)

Andra (aezadnik) Heather, I am LOVING Pillars of the Earth. I'm a huge sucker for multi-familial epic plots and that is precisely what Pillars has turned out to be. It's pretty hefty, but I rarely find a book I never want to leave.

I've heard Ken Follett's World Without End is precisely the same type of book. I'm going to keep that one in the back of my mind to take out whenever I need another good read.

The language ranges from simplistic to complex but the story never lets up. I definitely would recommend it if big, beautiful epic tales are your thing.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Welcome, Andra!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Andra, sounds like my type of story!!!! I can't wait to read it!

Isn't World Without End a sequel to Pillars? I may be mistaken, but I thought I had read that it was...?

message 10: by Andra (new)

Andra (aezadnik) You know, I thought it was a sequel, but I wasn't sure. As a starving graduate student I can't really get my hands on a book before I have the money to buy it, and then I'd most likely just get it at the library. I must admit, I haven't even read the dust jacket of World Without End. But, I can't wait to read it.

Thanks to everyone above for the warm welcome. I must say, I was ecstatic when I found this place! Especially because of the busy boards!

message 11: by Leah (new)

Leah (Ling_Ling) | 226 comments Welcome Andra! This site is so much fun!

message 12: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Anything by Colleen McCullough!!! She is the epic queen!!!

message 13: by Andra (new)

Andra (aezadnik) Kandice:

This summer I read The Thorn Birds and loved it. Gone With the Wind in Australia. Love it!

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice The Touch is another GWTW set in Australia and New Zealand by her. Very, very good!

message 15: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Andra,

Welcome to the group!!!!

message 16: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Hi Andra! Welcome and Happy Reading! (and happy writing of your thesis too... the teacher in me can't bear the thought of you neglecting your studies!)

message 17: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Andra, Hello and Welcome to the group.

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 253 comments Hi Andra! Not sure if you could classify "Peace Like a River" as an epic, but I would highly recommend that one. I listened to it on tape (during commute) recently and really enjoyed it! Oh and amazing accomplishment already for you; now get to your thesis! haha :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Andra you'll like it here!