The Gonzo Nihilist discussion

Books for February 2009

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (new)

Rick L A couple suggestions I have are Kiss Me Judas by Will Christopher Baer and Fears Of Snakes by Harry Crews. Any other suggestions?

message 2: by Christian (new)

Christian | 2 comments I got nothing to suggest for this month, I'm busy reading Lolita by Nabokov, The Idiot by Dostoevsky, and probably will be full with those two. I did however enjoy The Curse of Lono upon suggestion on last months posts. It was great investment as far as books go. Tropic of Cancer was alright, it has its great moments but also many that are just fair. As for the use of language, it might be mostly due to the crowd he conversed with or a symbol of profanity in a different culture or time. The use of "Cunt" is unartistically used in many cases but it is also called for and I beleive in its use at times. I do agree that this novel is offensive to women but read it anyway and pay attention to the types of women he associates with. I also respect his honesty, that doesn't justify his views of women it just shows that there is a need for honest impressions of the opposite sex. The same goes for the other side of the coin, I would rather have honesty than political correctness anyday. Truth is more meaningful, it teaches us better than PC. Kerouac/Burroughs Hippos was a nice read but as my friend Tim stated "if they didn't write it I probably wouldn't have read it."

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 08, 2009 01:11PM) (new)

Lermontov's "A Hero of Our Time". Currently reading this. It's nihilistic, just like you like em.

message 4: by Alfred (new)

Alfred Bates | 1 comments Catch-22! Just started it a couple of days ago. Tis weird. Or maybe The Stranger (Camus).