Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

What are U doing today? > Tues. Jan. 27, 2009 - What are U doing today?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments What are you doing today?
Today I'm smiling at: ====>
http://www.glasbergen.com/images/k241...

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I am eating one chocolate.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) I had some small errands to do & I bought a new cd....I am going to be cross-stitching as soon as I feed the dogs....

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6158 comments I turned a couple of bowls out in the shop, took some soup Marg made (16 bean soup with ham) over to my neighbor on the north side, Curtis. Pixie & Molly walked over with me, so Curtis got to meet Pixie. Good timing as he was just pulling in with the tractor after having fed hay to his cows.

Curtis is a hoot. He's 85 & when I first met him, I thought he as a bit dotty. We'd be talking & he'd say, "Well, Momma said..." or "Momma told me..." Seemed a little strange. Turns out Momma really does talk to him on a regular basis. She'll have her 106th birthday this June & lives in a house with 5 other ladies. A 'young' lady in her mid-60's helps the 'elderly' ones out some.

Curtis lets us ride around his fields with the horses & doesn't mind the dogs. His dog, Reuben, used to spend more time here than at home. Unfortunately, Reuben disappeared a week or so before Xmas. Curtis didn't seem to mind much, never having grown too attached to him. Reuben was a strange dog. Nice enough, but weird.

In the mid afternoon, I took Pixie & Molly for another walk. Since the ground is 2" of snow with a heavy crust of ice, Pixie had an interesting time on the hills. She went sledding a lot. Didn't seem to upset her. The cold rain (it's been raining since at least 4:30am & hasn't let up) chills her, though. The temp is still in the mid 20's, as it was on Sunday. Molly thinks it's just wonderful weather & can't understand why we don't go out & play more. Unfortunately, the damp brings out the lingering skunk in her coat. Ugh.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Becky - I have a cross-stitch which I started about 30 or 40 years ago (maybe more). It's still not finished! I'm not very domestic. (g)

My cross-stitch says says: "Wherever you wander, wherever you roam, be happy and healthy and glad to come home." (Lots of tiny stitches, including little pictures.) What's the design on your cross-stitch?

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim - I'm jealous of your outdoor walks. Ever since I did the polka New Year's Eve, I've had terrible sciatica down my leg. I had to limp from the car to our library's book club meeting last night. Some days it's worse than others. We take our agility for granted until we lose it.

Say hello to Curtis for me and give the dogs some scratches. Ask Curtis to ask his mother the secret of her longevity.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Becky - I have a cross-stitch which I started about 30 or 40 years ago (maybe more). It's still not finished! I'm not very domestic. (g)

My cross-stitch says says: "Wherever you wander, wherever y..."

I cross stitch quite a bit Joy. This one I am working on is rather large & very special....it is a wedding sampler for my daughter's wedding. It has a picture, a verse & will have their initials & the date....

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 27, 2009 07:10PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Becky - That's so great. You're creating a family heirloom! My MIL did a lot of cross stitching. I have a huge tablecloth she cross-stitched and some smaller ones as well. She did beautiful work.

Once she did a cross-stitch for me at my request. It says:
"Health, money, love, and the time to enjoy them.” (Anonymous)

When is your daughter's wedding? Have you chosen your dress yet?

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) The wedding is in April in Jamaica....I have a "back-up" dress but we are going out in the next week or so to do some searching...

message 10: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Becky wrote: "The wedding is in April in Jamaica....I have a "back-up" dress but we are going out in the next week or so to do some searching..."

Good luck to all, Becky.
Hope you find a nice dress.
Why Jamaica? Is there a special reason?

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) That's where they wanted it....didn't want to do the big traditional type of a wedding-not that there is anything wrong with that but, this is what they wanted & we are all for it....

message 12: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 27, 2009 09:50PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Have they been to Jamaica before?

I almost went to Jamaica a few years ago. I had planned to go with my sister during the month of February. But I panicked about flying and my niece took my place. When they left Albany airport, it was snowing and the snow had to be shoveled off the wings before take-off. I would have fainted if I had been there! LOL

They had a good time.