Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > America is not your enemy, Obama tells "Muslim World"...

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 27, 2009 05:23AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Now, I hate the phrase "Muslim World" (there are Muslims in Milwaukee, but apparently they live off the Muslim planet) but Obama talked yesterday about repairing Middle East/American relationships.

What path should he take? How can we as a country stay safe while still repairing the relationships? What should Obama avoid?

Here's a brief outline of what he said...I like the "listening" part...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/2...

message 2: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Like you said: "listening" helps a lot.

Whether we care to admit this or not, the grievances Muslims have expressed throughout the decades are valid. I know there is a way to marginalize the influence of Islamic Fundamentalism and promote inclusion of all Muslims into global affairs.

Obama's directive towards this is a good start.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) I'm thrilled that he is reaching out, so soon into his term.

message 4: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Yeah, he has just impressed the HELL out of me in this first week!

One thing that the Bush administration should have been doing besides destroying Iraq is promoting moderate and liberal Muslim voices in the Middle East and in areas around the world that have large Muslim populations. Islam needs a Reformation in the WORST way.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Instead Bush spent all his energy fomenting terrorism and radical Islam...

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
It really was our own special reign of terror.

message 7: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Everything the Bush administration did with regards to the Middle East undermined and alienated Muslims everywhere. It's hard to convince the Muslim world you're all about being the beacon of freedom and tolerance ("the Shield") while you're promoting wars in 2 fronts and inadvertantly fostering further terrorism ("the Sword").

America has to choose between being the Shield or the Sword. It looks to me that Obama's choosing the former.

message 8: by Cyril (new)

Cyril Great. I'm all for what he's doing, but I'd like to know what the "Muslim World" is going to do on its part. Stop trying to take down our skyscrapers would be a nice start.

message 9: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Not all Muslims are trying to take down our skyscrapers. I think that's a fair assumption to make, no?

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I was gonna say that, too. Very fair assumption.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments However, some of them are, and they have separated themselves from "The Muslim World" with their attacks on the "infidel." The people flying into skyscrapers and bombing subways are a part of their own world, have a separate agenda, and, like other types of extremist groups will continue to think they are right and everyone else is wrong. However, if the "Muslim World" would decide officially, loudly and clearly decide not to tolerate their expressions of discontent and deal with them as the criminals they are, "then peace will rule the planet and love will steer the stars."

Oh, and Israel needs to be sanctioned. NOW.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sandy wrote: "...a part of their own world, have a separate agenda, and, like other types of extremist groups will continue to think they are right and everyone else is wrong."

Some might say that the Americans have been behaving with an extremist Christian agenda.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Yes, that's what I meant by "other types of extremist groups."

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) fact:
1/3 of the word is Muslim.
fact:
Indonesia is the country with the largest Muslim population in the world.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.