Indie Music Lovers discussion

Suggest Some Music As Indicated By The Creator Of This Colloquium

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Drew (new)

Drew Lagoon (eliphaz) | 7 comments Shearwater (current members of Okkervil River)
Heatmiser (ex-band of Elliott Smith)
Junior Blue (side project of Kevin Drew and Brendan Canning of Broken Social Scene)
Misha
the Uglysuit
Saxon Shore (bit of Shoegaze)
Delta Spirit (if the Walkmen had a child with Bob Dylan)
Frightened Rabbit
High Places
Department of Eages (members of Grizzly Bear)
Crystal Skulls (Christian Wargo of Fleet Foxes)

message 2: by Katie (last edited Jan 27, 2009 12:50PM) (new)

Katie (pocketofgreen) | 22 comments Mod
Yay my first member.
Now Frightened Rabbit and Shearwater aside, which of these do you already have on your computer that I can steal.

message 3: by Drew (new)

Drew Lagoon (eliphaz) | 7 comments all of them except Crystal Skulls. and i only have a couple of Junior Blue songs.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Fleet foxes are pretty damn amazing live. The Dodos are good too, but I wasn't super impressed with them live. I've only just started listening to the last two. Have you heard of any of the bands Eliphaz mentioned, he's pretty knowledgable with Indie.

message 5: by Katie (last edited Jan 27, 2009 10:32PM) (new)

I would very much like to steal all that Drew.

message 6: by Drew (new)

Drew Lagoon (eliphaz) | 7 comments also recently discovered:

Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson (really good)
Human Highway (member of Islands)
Alela Diane

message 7: by Katie (new)

That last one was the one you were listening to yesterday when I stopped by the apt right?

message 8: by Drew (new)

Drew Lagoon (eliphaz) | 7 comments ^si senorita.

message 9: by Katie (new)

Have you downloaded her yet?

message 10: by Drew (new)

Drew Lagoon (eliphaz) | 7 comments i downloaded her most recently available album. her new one comes out in February

message 11: by Katie (new)

Very good I shall steal that as well.

message 12: by Katie (new)

I've never heard of First Aid Kit, what do they sound like?

message 13: by Viola (new)

Viola (violaswan) | 2 comments Hi everyone, lately I've been really hooked on Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Band of Horses, Beirut, Devotchka, Grizzly Bear, Brazilian Girls, Broken Social Scene, Josh Rouse and Devendra Banhart.
I'm definitely going to check out all the other recommendations everyone posted. Isn't music great? Always on the path of discovering new music and sounds!

message 14: by Katie (new)

Mizuki, I take it from your picture you like the Dodos. Visiter is currently hanging out in my stereo in my car. :D
Hector check out The Dodos, Andrew Bird, Radical Face, Rogue Wave, and Maestro Echoplex.
If you like any of them thank Eliphaz, he introduced me to it all (except Bird).

message 15: by Katie (new)

Or just go to my lastfm profile lastfm.com/user/psylohcke5
and just scroll down to where it says 83 artists in total (under the big red bold words :psylohcke's library)
There's a list of some pretty good listenings.

message 16: by Viola (new)

Viola (violaswan) | 2 comments Hi Katie, I will definitely check the artists you suggested. Andrew Bird is also one of my faves, i just forgot to mention him. Thanks!

message 17: by Katie (new)

That's super cool, he's one of my most favored musicians.

message 18: by Katie (new)

I gotta get Junior Blue from you Drew.
...wow that rhymed...

message 19: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 1 comments Nope . .

I highly recommend "Dead Confederate" - I'm starting to get into them myself. The one song a lot of people like from them is "The Rat"

message 20: by Katie (new)

It's been too long since I've made any suggestions.
I just listened to the song 'My Mistakes Were Made For You' by The Last Shadow Puppets and it's great, Drew knows all about it.
Also I just gave Saxon Shore a listen and they're very good.

message 21: by Katie (new)

I have only just begun listening to Devendra Banhart. I tend to get more music than I listen to at one time, so I go through it all very slowly. I really like his song Samba Vexillographica (sp?). And I heard Lover and thought "Holy Shit this is who sings it!"

message 22: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) hi I'm new and I'd like to know more indie bands because I heard Death cab for cutie(they're indie right?) and I really liked them, so...

message 23: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1 comments Wow, a lot of good ones have already been mentioned. How about Owen Pallett, Joanna Newsom, Cloud Cult, 65daysofstatic, Wolf Parade, Balmorhea, Fanfarlo, St. Vincent, Brooke Waggoner, Sigur Ros, Patrick Wolf, or The Most Serene Republic?

And the ever-popular Radiohead and Arcade Fire go without saying of course.

message 24: by Beatriz (new)

Beatriz (meerfarbig) i've been lately listening to great bands and artist which haven't been mentioned before... you should check out The Radio Dept., Mew, CocoRosie, Angus & Julia Stone, FM Belfast, Foals, Elliott Smith, Julian Plenti, The Drums, The Mary Onettes.. anyone?

message 25: by Strawberrii_xx (new)

Strawberrii_xx | 1 comments vampire weekend ftw!

message 26: by Katie (new)

Lately I find I've been listening to a lot of Miike Snow, I'm not sure if they're considered indie or not, but if anyone has any suggestions for similar bands let me know.

message 27: by Anjali (new)

Anjali (m0rtmain) | 1 comments Katie, I think Mike Snow id an associated act of Two Door Cinema Club,who rock!

message 28: by Ree (new)

Ree (penderghost) how about almost charlie, among savages, badly drawn boy, the burned, beecake, bombay bycicle club, boy, charlie winston, the fratellis, the head and the heart, miss li, of monsters and men, metronomy, portugal. the man?
not sure if they're all "indie", but they're amazing for sure :)