Fae > What are they.....

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 115 comments Mod
Under the hill of course.

message 2: by Brett (new)

Fae, fey, fairy, etc. The term describes a HUGE variety of beings from Tinkerbell to goblins and gnomes.

Personally, I follow the Celtic Mythos or in short;

Sidhe (pronounced she) (fairy folk) are immortals living in the ancient barrows and cairns. The Tuatha de Danaan are associated with several Otherworld realms including Mag Mell (the Pleasant Plain), Emain Ablach (the Fortress of Apples or the Land of Promise or the Isle of Women), and one of the most well known Tir na nÓg (the Land of Youth).

message 3: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
To the wiccanfae? No, ive never come across something like that before. However, in some cases witches suposedly got their power from fae. Fariy lore extends far beyond recorded history, but when Christianity spread through Celtic lands, the fae were fit into the new religion. They were now the fallen angels who were cast out of heaven with Satan. So, those who stoped to listen to fairy music or dance in fairy rings were often viewed as Devil worhipers, or in otherwords, witches.
However I doubt that that was what you were looking for.

message 4: by Brett (new)

Here is one website with some info. I don't know if it's what you're looking for Vicki Jean, but it's what I come up with on my first search.

http://www.magicspells.in/wiccan_fae_...

message 5: by Josh, Major Slacker (last edited Jan 27, 2009 10:36AM) (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Yeah Brett, the Daoine Sidhe are awsome! I believe I have a book posted on the selves by Cathrine Briggs, an ilustrated encyclopidia of fairies or something. thats were I first read about them.

My personal favorite are the Scandinavian elves. They are what Tolkien based his elves off of. Unfortunatly, there arent many old tales about them. They are just mentioned here and there in the old epics

message 6: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) he he, when I see the word Fae, I think of a tabletop game I've got called Fairy Meat. It's a game of Cannibal Faeries.

message 7: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
lol, never heard of that but it sounds like fun.

message 8: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) The object is to kill your fellow faeries and be the last one standing [or group/tribe:]. You replenish health by eating your victims. Ahhhhh good times.

message 9: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
haha, sounds great

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 80 comments Fae is fairies, ranging from goblins to all kind, good and bad. Not just Celtic, but of all kinds from over the world.

message 11: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
One of my favorite fairy monsters is the Dullahan, the basic origin of the headless horseman.

Oh that reminds me, Peter S. Beagle wrote a book called "Tamsin." It is a ghost story set in modern day England and the fairy folk are real. One of my favorite books ever.

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 80 comments Holly Black has a great YA series with fairies. I enjoyed them.

message 13: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
I read the first one. It was pretty good I guess.

message 14: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
No, it was good. I would have read the others if the local library had them, but as far as buying them... there are better books.

message 15: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
No, thats okay, I will buy it eventualy. My tastes go in cycles. Autumn for vampires and werewolves, deep winter for high fantasy, spring for fairies, and summer for everything.

I really did enyoy Tithe. I think Holly did a good job utilizing fairy magic and the laws that bind it.

message 16: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 80 comments Never heard a season for reading tastes. Like it though. I guess we all have certain times certain types of reading hit us.

message 17: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm I've read to authors that are really good with faries: Melissa Marr, Lesley Livingston (it may not be what you like but i thought they were good)

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Melissa Marr is good. I'm trying to get my hands on Ink Exchange. I'll check out Livingston. And I've been wanting to read Tithe for awile. I bought it for my niece for Christmas and when she visits during spring break I'm going to borrow it. Fae stories, except for Patricia Briggs, are kind of new to me.

message 19: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Hmm. I bought Wicked Lovely and loved it! Then I went out and wasted my money on Ink Exchange. I was very disapointed, but I suppose eventualy I will give it a try again.

message 20: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I've heard that about Ink Exchange from a bunch of people. I really liked Wicked Lovely and I know that Ink Exchange is just a side story but I want to read it anyway. It's more about the Dark Court, right? Sounds interesting. At least it'll tide me over till the third book comes out this year.

message 21: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
It's Marr, haven't read Briggs yet. Her books looks a little too steamy from the female perspective for me.

And yeah, IE is about the dark court. Not a bad plot, just not so great altogether.

message 22: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Dang it VJ! You got me into a Tithe mood the other day. Bad news, I think I lost the book.

message 23: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Unfortunatly I have not, although its been recomended to me several times.
Yay!! More books to look into!

Jiaka1981 Winfield Laurel K Hamilton has a Fae series, I believe it's based generally on Celtic faerie with the seelie and un-seelie daoine sidhe. It inspired me to look into more faerie lore.