Dragonhaven Dragonhaven discussion

help me get through this

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Atomicgirl (new)

Atomicgirl I am about 100 pages into the story, but I'm not sure if I can finish it. The stream-of-consciousness format is requiring a more concentrated effort to read the story. Many times the words just get in the way of the plot.

Is this worth it?

Tracie I just finished it last night and I felt the same way. Truthfully, I did skip the next-to-last chapter and I don't feel I missed anything by it. The last chapter is pretty good and he's writing as a grown-up so the soc isn't quite as difficult. I would never have even tried to finish if she wasn't one of my favorite authors ever. Good Luck if you go on.

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral Felt the same way...slogged my way through it. I wonder if her other books are truly better?

Tracie Hi Sophie, I have read several of her other books and consider them awesome. It has been a long time though and I, too, wonder how they hold up. I think I will just remember them fondly and not go revisit; too often that has left me sad.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy This book is sooo very different from her other works. I thought it was great - I liked how very well I thought she captured her character.

That being said, if it wasn't quite your thing, you might give Spindle's End or Rose Daughter a try. They're very different.

Becky She definitely captured the character.... unfortunately it made for an extremely difficult read. I'm with you - it was *work* to get through this book, simply because of the narration style, and as you say, "stream-of-consciousness" presentation. I loved the idea behind the story... but it fell completely flat, for me. I'm not sure it was truly worth it or not - I have a feeling I'll forget this book pretty easily. I didn't completely hate the book, but that's only because I love dragons and the basis of the story.

Myrnie Meh. I loved her other books, but this one I didn't care so much. It was hard to get into, had a good middle, and a crass-sounding ending (IMO)

Her blog is written in the same style- must be her new thing :)

Lisa Aaarrrgh! This book is making me want to tear my hair out!!! It's a fun story but the writing style is just painful.

Yikes.

Elisa Clawson I am surprised at the comments about this book, yes, it was different from her other books (which I read regularly by the way), but the story line and stream of consciousness way of writing intrigued me. I loved it! Robin McKinley always has such a new and different way of telling a story, think of Hero and the Crown, that it sometimes does take a little work, but it is always worth it!

message 10: by MB (What she read) (last edited Feb 27, 2009 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

MB (What she read) I think the stream-of-consciousness really enhanced this book. I felt as if I were there! But a lot of people have had trouble with this one. And a lot of newbies who are not familiar with Robin McKinley are not prepared for the sheer lengthiness and the rambling around.

Try Beauty if you want an easier read. It's one of my all-time favorite books!

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary C. Moore I wish she would have delved more into the dragon communicating with people storyline and not so much of the kid's stream of thought. It's like this guy is going through this amazing transforming experience and he just wants to whine about it. Try Deerskin if this did not catch your fancy, it's a beautiful read!

Michaela It's SUCH a beautiful book. But I understand why it might be hard to read. Uhm, I would stick with it because it really is a wonderful book. Very unique. Maybe try to flow with it and don't analyze or reread too much, cuz it really is quite a river of consciousness lol

message 13: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora Maybe if you think of it this way: Robin McKinley does a lot of worldbuilding in her books- a big plus for me. Well, this book is first person, so we have to follow along with his meandering thinking so that the world he lives in can be fleshed out for us.
Besides, I have a 15 yr old, and this sounds so much like mine I have to just admire McKinley's ability.

message 14: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora ...and I'm assuming that you have gone one way or another by now with this book- your OP was in 2007! Hee!