Historic Philadelphia Dining Society discussion

Sandwiches...Pros and Cons

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 15 comments Here is a topic that some people feel they can't talk about in public, that's why I felt a safe place among friends would be the best place to hash out the various issues we all have with this food.

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 15 comments I must say that I'm strictly a fan of the sandwich, other than the Earl who created them (he was a complete prick!), I have absolutely no problem with them.

message 3: by Micah (new)

Micah Issitt (micahissitt) | 9 comments Mod
I've always felt a little uneasy about sharing my thoughts on sandwiches with the public, but I think you have a good point. We should be able to share them with friends.

Pros: They're edible.
Cons: You can't really date one unless you convert to Baptism.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 15 comments It's great that you were able to go semi-public with your true feeling about sandwiches...if we could only get others here to be so brave.

I totally agree with your con, trying to date a roast beef sandwich is horrible, I hear that being submersed in au jus during the conversion is awful.

message 5: by Micah (new)

A side note on Sandwiches: the largest sandwich on record was an 11-foot-five-inch square created in Mexico City in 2004. And some people think Mexicans are lazy? If they were lazy, they wouldn't have called in sick from work for the weeks that it took to create the world's largest sandwich. Take that anti-Mexican lobby.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 15 comments A note to your side note: the largest sandwich not on record was when God used Saturn 2 and Jupiter 2 as bread and put Earth 2 in the middle and ate it as a sandwich back before time began.

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee | 12 comments I'd like to revive this discussion by bringing in the controversy of the 21st century...whether to use the word "sub" or "hoagie". As a native Philadelphian, i must admit to using hoagie, although it seems so silly - especially when in NYC and ordering a sub (oh the looks from the New Yorkers!!! It's almost like telling them you are a Phillies fan! the horror!). This can be likened to using the word "Jimmies" instead of "sprinkles." I'm curious as to how the non-Philadelphians view this? I myself have heard myself speak these words and recoiled in horror at my own "south philly/jersey" lack of flair. discuss........

message 8: by Micah (new)

I think that "Jimmies" means condoms. You probably shouldn't ask for a pile of condoms on your sandwich, whether you call that sandwich a "hoagie" or "sub." In Saint Louis, we call sub sandwiches meat monkeys. As in the often heard sentence: "Give me a meat monkey please, light on the mayo."

message 9: by Jestis (new)

Jestis | 2 comments Jimmies aren't condoms; jimmies are penises. Jimmy hats are condoms. Duh Micah. Finally, hoagies and jimmies are really stupid and nonsensical words for subs and sprinkles. Subs are shaped like submarines and sprinkles sprinkle ice cream with playfulness and joy. What pray-tell do hoagies and jimmies do besides hoag and jim--neither option being edible.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee | 12 comments Jestis, i wholeheartedly agree. Hoagie is such a silly term - the whole philly terminology needs some education... i'm thinking that submarines can be another term for penises. just don't forget to order with onions, a/k/a condoms...these will ensure that the onions form a barrier to the real sub taste/experience. i personally prefer subs w/o onions!!!!!!!

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 15 comments I think the root of the issue here is the cocksuredness of the use of terms like 'hoagie', 'sub' or 'breaded vehicle for putting meat in my mouth.' Whenever I go into a sandwich shop I don't dabble in "street" lingo. I simply say to the operator of the place, "Kind sir, would you do me the honor of creating for me what you consider your most delectable delicacy." Then I let him ask me what the fuck I'm talking about, that's when I proceed to naming specific ingredients, but in no way insinuating how they should be amassed. If he wants to put them in bread with mustard and mayo, then that's his choice. Who am I to tell him how to make what he already knows how to make? How can I go into his place of work and boss him around? After he hands me the sandwich and I pull a gun on him and rob his store, I don't want him coming back at me and trying to tell me how to rob his place of business. I hope this has helped to calm the storm that is the grand sandwich debate...*

*(... or in spoken language "dot dot dot" suggests that the speaker has more to say or that the problem has not been solved...**)

**(... or "dot dot dot" inside of a footnote regarding the use of ... or "dot dot dot" means that the author has totally run out of material and should've stopped writing five minutes ago, a discussion should and could follow in a different forum.)

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Lopizzo (Emilyreads) | 1 comments sandwiches

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee | 12 comments Steve, i laughed so hard at your post that i peed myself!! that was frickin' awesome...

message 14: by Abby (new)

Abby (afg5) | 2 comments When my aunt Janet was little, she got so jealous of the fact that sprinkles were called jimmies (her older brother is named Jimmy) that she made the whole family start calling them janets.

I think we should all go to Philly Flavors this summer and order a bunch of ice creams with janets on top. See what they do.

message 15: by Jestis (new)

Jestis | 2 comments That's so funny. I kinda like the sound of Janets. 
I think it also reveals a lot about your aunt Janet. I guess it's not coincidence that her name is plastered all over Philadelphia!

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin (Erin_C) | 2 comments If I hear anyone order "sprinkles" on their ice cream concoction I will drop kick them back to gay-town for their gay-ass terminology.

Secondly, I like my Hoagies wet and my penis sandwiches cocksured.

Good Day.

message 17: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 15 comments This is specific to parts of the Northern-Mid-Atlantic, especially Philly, but when ordering "sprinkles" on "ice cream" the proper protocol to follow is, "Hey man, give me *some jawns on that **chumpy!"

*You should be aware that 'some' can be replaced with 'dem' (if pointing at the item you want) or 'mad' (meaning much more than just some)

**It's important to know that chumpy can also be spelled chumpey, the pronunciation remains the same it either case.

message 18: by Michele (new)

Michele (michelesusan) | 1 comments Op cit back to the sub/hoagie debate... ("dot dot dot," aka, ellipsis)

Why, yes indeed, Stephen, hoagies are breaded vehicles for putting meat in your mouth, a starchy sheath for your fleshy victuals, if you will. And did you know that the term "hoagie" derives from the midday comestibles once ingested by the workers on Hog Island, formerly the site of a shipyard, now under a Philly Int'l tarmac? In honor of these heroes(!), Hoagie Day is in early May, the 6th, I believe. Will the members of this esteemed group of sandwich connoisseurs be participating in any fesitivities to mark this hallowed day? Shed your sub shyness and celebrate with your grinders held high (so the mustard/mayo runs down into your pits)!

message 19: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 15 comments I actually work down there, I think UPS's address is #6 Hog Island, and I'm part of the Teamsters Union. I practically invented the hoagie post haste ipso facto style, if you will. And if you won't, that's totally acceptable, as most of what I just said is complete nonsense. As my friend MC Eiht would say, "J'Yeah!"