What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Word to Caesar
This topic is about Word to Caesar
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Historical fiction ancient Rome, possibly YA, male protagonist? [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by icedtea (last edited Jan 01, 2008 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

icedtea | 4 comments I'm trying to remember the name of a book I read in school, circa 1991-1992.

That was a long time ago, I know, but here's what I'm pretty sure of:
It took place in ancient Rome and had a male protagonist.

Not so sure of:
It might have the word "road" in the title.
Might be a YA book.

I thought the title might be 'The road to Caesar' but my search for that so far hasn't come up with anything.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (KristatheKrazyKataloguer) | 104 comments Could it be The Road to Damietta by Scott O'Dell (c1985)? It takes place in 13th-century Italy and is about St. Francis of Assisi (when he was a nobleman, before he became a holy man). It's not ancient Rome, but it's pretty old (medieval), and it's good (I've read it). :o)

message 3: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments I don't suppose it might be Steven Saylor's Murder on the Apian Way ?

message 4: by icedtea (last edited Dec 26, 2007 03:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

icedtea | 4 comments Krista, I'll check it out.

Rivka, I think that was published too late for what I'm looking for, but I'll take a closer look.

Thanks for the suggestions.

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet | 80 comments Mary Renault wrote a bunch of good ones set in ancient Greece or Rome - but none with road in the title.

message 6: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments I had though it was published in about 1990/1991, but I must have been thinking of the first book in the series -- that one wasn't released until 1996. Sorry!

icedtea | 4 comments Janet, I had a quick look online and as far as I could tell Renault's books are set in ancient Greece, and I'm pretty sure I'm looking for something in Rome. Thanks all the same though.

message 8: by CLM (new)

CLM | 298 comments Maybe a Geoffrey Trease - Word to Caesar? His books are all outstanding but oddly I don't remember this one.

message 9: by icedtea (last edited Jan 04, 2008 11:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

icedtea | 4 comments CLM, I think that's it! Thank you, now I just have to find a copy.

If anyone else is interested, here's a blurb:
A young boy, Paul, travels across the Empire from his home in Britain to seek an audience with the new emperor, Hadrian. Along the way he meets up with the villains who are trying to stop him, a charioteer, apathetic solicitors, and finally the Emperor. At every step of his adventure, he remains loyal, practices courage, and does not give up even when it seems impossible.