Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > Christmas Mysteries

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wakar (new)

Wakar | 11 comments What are your favorite Christmas Mysteries? Are you reading one now? Or have read/will read one this month?

I just finished No Clue at the Inn by Kate Kingsbury. It's a sequel to the Pennyfoot Hotel mysteries series she wrote a few years ago.

Wakar

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 16 comments I just read, ugh I don't remember the name, but it was something like Santa Cruise. It was a collaboration with Mary Higgins Clark and her daughter. It was cute and a fun curled up on the couch mystery.

message 3: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 17 comments I loved this book. I love the characters and I've been enjoying their series very much.

message 4: by Toni (new)

Toni berkshire (starcookie2verizonnet) | 23 comments Thanks for your comments. I keep forgetting about this web site and every time I come here, I want to read all the books and then forget them when I get to the book store. Your comments reminded me how much fun they are.

message 5: by Jessica (last edited May 06, 2008 09:54PM) (new)

Jessica | 9 comments I just read Kingsbury's "No Clue at The Inn" too, though I like one of her other Pennyfoot x-mas books a bit better. I can't remember what it was called, but it had a guy in a santa suit dead in the chiminey. That was a really good one.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 38 comments I really enjoy the Pennyfoot Hotel Series.Haven't read them in a while. Nice to see you hereJessica.
Pamela

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 621 comments There's a great set of holiday mystery short story anthologies put out by Wolfmont Publishing and benefiting Toys for Tots. The latest is: Carols and Crimes, Gifts and Grifters.

Here's the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Carols-Crimes-G...

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5277 comments I liked Jane Haddam's 2 Christmas themed Gregor Demarkian books, NOT A CREATURE WAS STIRRING & A STILLNESS IN BETHLEHEM.

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments I love Christmas themed books, cozies and others outside the mystery genre. A good list of Christmas cozies is at: http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Holiday-M...

Danna also has other holiday books listed.

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela Holland (bookaunt) I love reading Christmas books around Christmas time. Last year I read Candy Cane by Joanna Fluke. I am going to look up somme of these mysteries for this year.

Angela

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 36 comments I really like Mary Higgins Clark's Christmas stories. Some are written just by her and some jointly with her daughter.

He Sees You When You're Sleeping
Silent Night
Deck the Halls

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 71 comments I love The Twelve Deaths of Christmas by Marian Babson

message 13: by Jacqy (new)

Jacqy | 3 comments I love Christmas Mysteries. I've never read this book. From Thanksgiving on that's the only kind of mystery I read.

message 14: by Jacqy (new)

Jacqy | 3 comments Jacqy wrote: "I love Christmas Mysteries. I've never read this book. From Thanksgiving on that's the only kind of mystery I read. "

Denise wrote: "I love Christmas themed books, cozies and others outside the mystery genre. A good list of Christmas cozies is at: http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Holiday-M......"

message 15: by Jacqy (new)

Jacqy | 3 comments There is another good resource for Christmas Mysteries - Mystery Christmas titles at MyShelf.com

message 16: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments Not mysteries but some great Christmas stories are by Debbie Macomber. She writes a special book every year for Christmas. Some of them feature the angels Shirley, Goodness and Mercy. These stories are touching but funny at the same time. If you go to:
http://www.debbiemacomber.com and then pull down the menu at books you will find both Christmas books and Angel books. I would highly recommend any and all of her books. Debbie Macomber

message 17: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments I am currently reading A Carol for a Corpse (Hemlock Falls Mystery, Book 14) by Claudia Bishop . This is the 15th book in the Hemlock Falls Mystery series and happens to be set during the Christmas season.

message 18: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments Here is another Christmas book that is in a series:
Jingle Bell Bark A Melanie Travis Mystery by Laurien Berenson. This is a pretty good series. I have read 13 of them so far.

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments Here is a site that lists Christmas Mysteries:

http://www.myshelf.com/holiday/pages/...

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan (shushan) | 6 comments My very favorite Christmas mystery is "Rest You Merry" by Charlotte MacLeod.

There are a few lists out there that can help
http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Holiday-M...
http://www.mysterylovers.com/index.ph...
http://www.squidoo.com/christmas-myst...

message 21: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Valentine This isn't exactly a mystery per se but it has a mysterious component to it -- and it's free for Kindle through Friday: The Reluctant Belsnickel of Opelt's Wood. "Belsnickel" is an old Pennsylvania Dutch legend based on the story of Saint Nicholas.

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I just finished rereading "Hercule Poirot's Christmas", which was just as good as I remembered! Not very Christmas-y (other than occuring at Xmas) but excellent mystery..

message 23: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5277 comments I'm reading Deadly Patterns by Melissa Bourbon Ramirez right now which takes place at Christmastime.

message 24: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 29 comments Holly Jolly Murder by Joan Hess is fun. More serious but also good is Envious Casca by Georgette Heyer.

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I'm reading Good Tidings which occurs during the Christmas season.

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I really like "Envious Casca"!

message 27: by Barb (new)

Barb | 814 comments Two of Livia J Washburn's Fresh Baked series are set at Christmas time -- The Christmas Cookie Killer and The Gingerbread Bump-Off. I've read and enjoyed both books -- and all the rest in the series too :)

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate (kate28) | 141 comments Barb wrote: "Two of Livia J Washburn's Fresh Baked series are set at Christmas time -- The Christmas Cookie Killer and The Gingerbread Bump-Off. I've read and enjoyed both books -- and all the rest in the serie..."

I really liked those too, as well as Plum Pudding Murder, Candy Cane Murder and Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen) by Joanne Fluke by Joanne Fluke. The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #4) by Krista Davis was also good, as are the Mary Higgins Clark books that are written with her daughter. I'm looking forward to reading Let It Sew by Elizabeth Lynn Casey in a few days.

I wish every single cozy series had one Christmas themed book (at least!) that's all I like to read this time of year. :)

message 29: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Scott (goodreadscomknitknat) | 131 comments Kate wrote: "Barb wrote: "Two of Livia J Washburn's Fresh Baked series are set at Christmas time -- The Christmas Cookie Killer and The Gingerbread Bump-Off. I've read and enjoyed both books -- and all the rest..."

I agree with you. I love Christmas cozies this time of year. It makes the holidays complete.

message 30: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Scott (goodreadscomknitknat) | 131 comments Barb wrote: "Two of Livia J Washburn's Fresh Baked series are set at Christmas time -- The Christmas Cookie Killer and The Gingerbread Bump-Off. I've read and enjoyed both books -- and all the rest in the serie..."

Washburn is one of my top ten favorite authors.

message 31: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Lawrence | 28 comments I have read A Highland Christmas by MC Beaton (loved it!!) and Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich (liked it a lot) so far this season. I have also read Christmas Crumble by MC Beaton and 'Twas the Chihuahua Before Christmas by Esri Allbritten this month. I thoroughly enjoyed both of those short stories. I am reading Busy Body by MC Beaton currently and am going to try to read Kissing Christmas Goodbye as well.

Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5) by Janet Evanovich A Highland Christmas (Hamish Macbeth, #16) by M.C. Beaton 'Twas the Chihuahua Before Christmas by Esri Allbritten Christmas Crumble by M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin and the Busy Body (Agatha Raisin, #21) by M.C. Beaton Kissing Christmas Goodbye (Agatha Raisin, #18) by M.C. Beaton

message 32: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1096 comments Christopher wrote: "I have read A Highland Christmas by MC Beaton (loved it!!) and Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich (liked it a lot) so far this season. I have also read Christmas Crumble by MC Beaton and 'T..."

I read Kissing Christmas Goodbye last year. It is not a Christmas story. I think it happens sometime in early Fall. I posted a comment last year on the holiday themed discussion thread.

message 33: by Barb (new)

Barb | 814 comments I don't think it's necessarily a cozy, but I read and enjoyed Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop either last year or the year before. It's a collection of Christmas-themed stories, each written by a different author.

message 34: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Lawrence | 28 comments Nell wrote: "Christopher wrote: "I have read A Highland Christmas by MC Beaton (loved it!!) and Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich (liked it a lot) so far this season. I have also read Christmas Crumble..."

Nell - thanks for the heads up, I thought I recalled seeing your message in the other thread! I am reading
Decked with Folly by Kate Kingsbury instead. This is the first one of her books I have read. She has done a very good job so far of giving the new reader enough backstory on the characters. I will likely read more of her books.