College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > Uglies: Vocabulary Is Annoying

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I have to say that the vocabulary used by characters in this book is very annoying. "Tally-wa", "Nervous-making". It is so stupid.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily THANK YOU!!! i've been waiting for someone to make this comment! I read these books about a year ago and I only kept reading them because I started and wanted to finish, but i felt like the series got more and more ridiculous and the language gets even worse!!

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I totally agree. It took half a book to catch on to whatever and then the next book it was different. I figured it was because the book was YA and the maturity level is really young. I am not sure I would talk like that back between 11 and 14 but it did remind me of how some of the girls talked.

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I totally agree. I didn't even understand why they were talking like that. Just a pretties ditzy thing?

message 5: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
In the aspect of it coming out of the Pretties mouths it made more sense, the ultimate protrayal of air head, but the others all talked like that too.

message 6: by Monique (new)

Monique (MoniqueReads) | 14 comments I just got "Uglies" from the library and I also find some of the vocabulary annoying. Each time I see the word littlies, I flinch. It is so awkward. Why just can't he use the word child or something like that?

message 7: by Christa (new)

Christa (expectation) I think that's actually why I couldn't read the rest of the series after Uglies...

message 8: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I didn't really like the whole "New Prettytown". I felt like he could have been more creative with the names.

message 9: by Monique (new)

Monique (MoniqueReads) | 14 comments I just finished "Uglies" last night and the naming of the towns is one of the issues that I had with the book. I will finish the other ones because its a group read and when I read series I like to know the end.

message 10: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) I think what makes it even worse is that the slang isn't just used in the dialogue, it's also used in the narration. It also continues into Specials. THERE IS NO ESCAPE

message 11: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
It goes clear through to Extra's too.

message 12: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Haha we have a book that just came in called
Bogus to Bubbly An Insider's Guide to the World of Uglies. I just looked at it and cringed.