Gather Yourselves Together discussion

January > Chapter 36

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 194 comments Mod
I think the mythology is really fascinating. I did a little research on the Sumerian culture and a lot of it is based on their beliefs.

If anyone knows any more, I'd love to hear about it.

I know they wrote on clay tablets, used cuneiform and had a god named Enki. But is the whole semen story true? I really do want to know! Is it all true beliefs of that culture? Also, I found out Sumerians invented the wheel. Very interesting, eh?

message 2: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 49 comments I thought the semen story was a bit wierd, It's v. clever the way they could preserve the tablets forever so the information would never be lost.

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

I thought it was really weird too! That's why I wonder if it's really a Sumerian folklore, legend, parable or whatever it is. Cause it's odd to me, but maybe not to the Sumerians.

I agree about the tablets. They seem like an interesting society and I would love to learn more about them at a later time. (I barely find time to read this book what with school and work.)

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 58 comments I took a Mythology class at BYU and the semen story is TOTALLY the norm. I felt like I was back in class...it was a little bit distressing.

message 5: by Tiffany (new)

Whew! I'm glad I don't go to BYU!

It's interesting how we all find it awkward to read that (I know I did) and yet, back in the day it wasn't uncomfortable to talk about. I bet they told it as a bedtime story to their kids. Just think, in thousands of years, people will think we were weird and possibly immoral for reading our kids Sesame Street Books. Or something like that. Although, we do have Grimm's Fairy Tales this day and age, which are pretty gruesome.

I really can't get an idea in my head of what Hiro looks like. It keeps changing as I read and it's never a clear picture. If anyone has any good pictures from the internet, they should post them. Or if you're an artist, render your own image of Hiro and put it on. I would appreciate it. Seriously.

P.S. Thanks Chels for the info about the store that sells our "stuff". I will be going there soon. I need some more.

message 6: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 49 comments I think books are great in the way everyone imagines a person differently, even though they are described e.g blonde hair blue eyes....no one will have the same image in their heads.

message 7: by Erich (new)

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann (ErichFranzLinnerGuzmann) | 81 comments That is so true! Nobody in real life is as beautiful as some of the people that I have read about. I have read some post in movie forums about big debates on who should play the part of a certain character in the movie. Everyone imagines someone different. I agree books are great that way because each individual can create there own perfect cast.