We're the Kids of America discussion

Hot Topics > Religion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 354 (354 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I have a mixture of Buddhist and Catholic beliefs, so here's how I've worked it out. I believe 100% in reincarnation. In each life, you build up good karma. If you live a good life, in your next life, you will be reincarnated into a higher life form. At some point, you will reach a heaven, after many many lives, but even when you are in heaven, you can still come back to earth to help people out by being reincarnated again. There is also a hell, but it's not permanent. Life forms can get out of it. Because of my belief in reincarnation, I hate killing bugs or anything else, because it could be on it's way to being a person. It could even be someone you knew!

One other thing... I do believe in ghosts. Normally when a person dies, they have to come to terms with their death before they can be reincarnated. Usually this process takes up to 40 days. But some spirits can't accept it, so they stay half in our world, half out.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin I believe, Heaven and Hell both exist, and, that since we're all sinful, we're all headed for hell. The only way to escape, is through this wonderful way that The God of the universe made for us after we turned away from Him. He loved us so much, that He came down to Earth as human, and then died in our place. Since He never sinned, He was perfect, and since he died in our place, and then rose back from being dead on the third day, He conquered death. And He did it all for us, so that we could be with Him like He wants. All we have to do, is accept Him as our savior, and immediately, we can get into Heaven. Jesus is the only way.

message 3: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments Robin, I agree fully and completely and couldn't have said it any better :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a Latter Day Saint.

message 5: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (Anthony3) | 10 comments Robin wrote: "I believe, Heaven and Hell both exist, and, that since we're all sinful, we're all headed for hell. The only way to escape, is through this wonderful way that The God of the universe made for us af..."

YES!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't believe in a God who would banish anyone to eternal hell.

message 7: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments YAY ANTHONY!

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin He didn't, we banished ourselves

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, then I don't believe in a God who would make that possible.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin He didn't... basically sin is just doing the opposite of what God says and wants us to do. Things were perfect, then we disobeyed, and now we can't be around God anymore because we're like mud on a white carpet-except, he came down and died in our place, so that, by accepting his gift, we could be with him.

message 11: by Kaytrina (new)

Kaytrina | 32 comments I am an open-minded Christian.I believe in heaven,but not Hell,because the thought of it is just atrocious!!

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin How can you be a Christian and not believe in Hell? That would mean, you wouldn't need Christ to escape it, and there wouldn't be any Christian faith to begin with!

message 13: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments mmhmm

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I just don't think that an all loving God would provide such a fate for people who may have simply made a mistake. That's why I believe in a hell you can get out of.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin so then, if you can get out of it, what's the point of their being one?

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin Besides, that's why God made a way for us to escape. Jesus.

message 17: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i'm jewish so i obviously don't agree with the jesus thing. here's my opinion and yes this is a jewish tradition:
if u r good, u go 2 the garden of eden until the messiah comes. the messiah is a human who will stop all wars. when he comes and fulfills his destiny, u will reincarnate
if u r bad, u go 2 hell and burn 4 as long as it takes 4 u 2 repent, then u go 2 the garden of eden
since every1 sins a little, every1 burns a little

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin But, the Messiah already came...

message 19: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments if u mean jesus, that would b christianity. we jews want the messiah 2 actually do wat he's supposed 2, which would b 2 stop all wars 4ever. so yeah. no. he did not yet come.

message 20: by Annalise (new)

Annalise | 2 comments Robin. OMG i couldn't have said it any beter. you sound like you know the facts:) do you read the bible or what?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I've always wanted to read the Bible, just from a literary point of view.

message 22: by Annalise (new)

Annalise | 2 comments yeahh. then how do you know all the answers?

message 23: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments k annalise no offense and robin i'm not trying 2 make it seem like it's not good that u no the facts, but...i'm jewish and i no that much of the christian pov....

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin Rachel, where does it say Jesus was going to stop all the wars forever?
You bet I read the bible.

message 25: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments in the jewish religion, not in christianity

message 26: by Cira (new)

Cira (loveistheanswer106) | 56 comments I agree with Erin and Kachina. I don't beleive in hell. Who is a bad enough person to deserve to burn in fiery torment for all eternity? I can't think of one. God is supposed to be love. How is hell loving?

message 27: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments *shrug* again, in jewdaism, it's only 4 as long as it takes 4 u 2 repent....

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 01, 2009 03:50PM) (new)

Basically the same sort of thing in Buddhism, Rachel.

message 29: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments koolz i c.

message 30: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi hell isn't forever, though, Jesus is comming back to get us some day and when he does then hell won't exist anymore it will burn itself out - so to speak - and so will the rest of the world, then there's that 1,00 year kingdom and then heaven.

message 31: by Alee (new)

Alee Hofman (wwwgoodreadscombookworm524) | 6 comments I believe in heaven & hell.
Hell is an eternity of burning in the core of the earth, and heaven is having your soul in the atmostphere. I believe that everyone should aspire to go to Heaven where it's not eternal torture of burning flames. THE END.

message 32: by Paige (new)

Paige I believe in some sort of afterlife.
Not too sure on the details at the moment, haha.
So I guess I'll go with the Heaven & Hell belief.
I was raised Christian (and now Catholic) so I would have to imagine Hell as some sort of doom & gloom place for tortured souls and Heaven as the opposite, like a retirement home in the sky. Sounds ridiculous when I put it like that, but yeah. That's me.

message 33: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments I believe in a god, but not the god of Christianity because I think an all powerful force would be above emotions and punishing and rewarding ppl based on arbitrary definitions of good and evil
I guess I think of god more as a force of nature than a being
I'm not sure if there is an afterlife, but I don't really care alot either way

message 34: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments u don't care wat will happen 2 u after u die?

message 35: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments if im still around, yeah i would care what happens from that point forward. but if you mean between being around and not... i think if i die old then ill already have faded alott anyways, so i wont be the same person, itll almost be like somebody else. But on the off chance i dont lose my personality, then i hope at that point my lifes work on earth will keep me alive in memory either way. and if i die young then i was like a book with only the first few chapters, its really only a loss of potential which is sad anyways but happens all the time, thats life.
sure it would be cool to watch ppl down on earth do their thing or become part of some big mystical force, but i also want there to be an end at some point.

message 36: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments hmmm interesting pov. very different from my friend's.

message 37: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments so wat happens in purgatory? i'm not denying anything, i'm just super curious.

message 38: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments ok i c catherine. ur idea sounds cool. i think that u go 2 hell 4 a bit 2 repent 4 ur sins and then go 2 heaven if u were good enough. so pretty much the same thing.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

My religion is a mixture Christianity, Unitarian Universalism, and evolutionism.

Obviously, this creates a lot of inner conflict.

I don't necessarily believe any religion is 'wrong' or that it is 'wrong' to follow it. [any religion:]

I love Jesus, and I believe he died for our sins, but I think the words of the bible have been twisted a lot. I choose to avoid most organized religions.

I believe in hell, and reincarnation. I also believe that after you die, if your strong enough, you can choose where your consciousness goes.

I believe in ghosts, and that some people can speak with them.

I also believe in demons and angels.

I believe in the big bang [even multiple big bangs:] theory, but I also believe in creationism. Just cause a giant explosion created the universe doesn't mean someone didn't cause it, or that God or gods don't exist.

I think there's a hell but I'm not sure. I don't know about heaven either, but it seems more likely then hell. I'm not even sure if I believe anything happens when you die. [maybe that's hell:]

I think eventually the earth will end, but weather its the anti-Christ or the sun exploding, I don't know. Maybe a combination.

I also believe a lot in natural selection.

message 40: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments interesting.....

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep.

message 42: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments lolz my demons r awesome. i h8 them, but they're awesome

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel- I know what you mean. :D

Catherine- I believe in reincarnation because re-using energy like that just seems more... I don't know... real then potentially going to heaven. It seems more efficient and life usually create the most efficient ways to do things.

I believe in ghosts because I've had personal experiences [not that they'd mean anything not you, you weren't there:] and so has my mom. I believe in angels, guardian angels, saints, and spirit guides partially because of my personal experiences too.

JJ[All.You.Did.Was.Save.My.Life.] | 5 comments Just gunna throw this out there

HELL EXPLAINED BY CHEMISTRY STUDENT

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term.

The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. ''' Since there is more''' than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God.
"

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A"

message 45: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments tade-really? cuz i have no clue. XD

message 46: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments OMG XD JJ!!!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha that's good.

message 48: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments XD catherine!

*NO NAME* SO DON'T TRY! teh awesome dude who says hi ATHEIST! GOD AND THOSE STUFF ARE STUPID!

message 50: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments woah! calm down. lol.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8