Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Chit Chat - Getting to Know You > *SPOILERS* Sookie Stackhouse and True Blood

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) So, per Tricia's suggestion, I had to start this thread for those of us who are up to date on the books and show. I love this series, it's just too much fun! And I am so looking forward to the second season of True Blood.
And, in my opinion, the most important question is, how much do you love Eric?! If Sookie does not end up with Eric then I will be so disappointed :(

message 2: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I loved all the books!! I couldn't put them down once I started reading them. I have to agree, I want Sookie and Eric to end up together and will be really disappointed if they don't!! I haven't seen the show yet, but hope to catch it when it comes out on DVD. Is is as good as the books?

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I couldn't put the books down either. I read them all in a week and I was kind of obsessed, like when I read Twilight! Yes, the show is as good, but for different reasons than the books. Tara and Jason are bigger characters with their own story lines right from the start and a few things that happen in the book are different. If you like Sam, then he's in the show more too. Anna Paquin is amazing as Sookie. She is perfect in the role and really, I think every single actor is great. A great job casting the show.

message 4: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) This is probably my favorite series. I read the first 8 books in about 2 weeks - uuummm obsessed??

I think Eric is great - tough on the outside but obviously a sweetie to those that know him.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Eric is awesome... i am so mad at Bill.. grrrr...
i love the series.. i still have book 8 to read which i am saving to read for when book 9 comes out. its hard to put the books down. love the story line and the show is great...

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Oh, I can not stand Bill! At least one more season of True Blood putting up with him and then hopefully Sookie will ditch him in the show too! He deserves much worse.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh i totally agree there.. He needs a ass whooping..

message 8: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 47 comments Just recently watched the series online (enjoyed the books greatly) over the last couple of days (I know, slightly overkill) and I gotta say it's great and I'm hooked BUT I much preferred Rene over the paranormal characters. Prob the accent hah :-)

message 9: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 47 comments and yes Eric is mucho awesome

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Oh, I loved Rene's accent. Very sexy!

message 11: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 47 comments It maybe I'm just being picky but...he's so pale LOL

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Oh, I think it was all his voice for me! Rene was a little too scruffy!

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) Rene was one hot murderin' bastard that's for sure! Haha...nah, he looks like an old boyfriend. Very cute, waste of a nice looking actor to get rid of him after one season...

message 14: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I can't wait until True Blood comes out on DVD! This is my favorite book series so I'm sure I'll love the shows!

message 15: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) ooh - I already said it was my favorite series in a previous comment - oops...

Just want it to be known I guess!! :)

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I want it to be known too! As the books sink in (I read them very fast), I'm realizing that this is one of my favorite series, right up there with Black Dagger Brotherhood, which is strange because they are very different. Which book in the series is your favorite? Book 7 is mine. Can't get enough of Eric!

message 17: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I loved the one that Eric forgot who he was. It was hillarious & sweet to see the 'true' Eric come out without the pretenses & desire to act tough & uncaring.

For the life of me I can't remember which one it was though. Guess it's time to read them again. (maybe I'll read the series for Kenjii's challenge)

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) That was book 4. I didn't like it as much as 7. I like sarcastic Eric instead of sweet Eric.

message 19: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) Yeah - sarcastic eric is good but I think he's better now that you know he's actually a sweetheart & that the crass sarcasm is a front.

Good job remebering which book is which. I would've had to read through all the summaries. It was hard to keep them seperated since I read the 1st 7 in a row.

message 20: by Dawn (last edited Jan 31, 2009 10:19AM) (new)

Dawn (dawnv) I love this series and not so much the show. I also love Eric and my favorite book is the third one in Club Dead but I must admit I love them all.
Book 7 was All Together Dead.

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula717) | 19 comments I've read books 1 thru 7 and love them all. I've also watched season 1 of the HBO series, even though they tend to stray a bit from the book storylines. I have to say I'm a bit indicisive as to who I'd like Sookie to end up with. I really love Eric and think he and Sookie have major chemistry but a little voice in the back of mind keeps rooting for Bill, LOL, even though he was a jerk. So, I can't wait to see in which direction the author will go. Maybe she'll shock us all and ago in a whole different direction...

message 22: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) Quinn could always resurface...

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I would only consider Eric (my favorite) or Quinn. But Sookie wants to be number one in someone's life and I'm not sure she would be in either, especially not Quinn's.

And I can't believe you still root for Bill!! He raped her! I think Harris has done an excellent job of creating a situation that I am sure many women have been in, attempting to make excuses for the person who abused them. Sookie thinks, "well, Bill needed blood" and she keeps saying that he stopped or he couldn't control himself. I think it's all part of Sookie not willing to accept what happened and trying to excuse Bill's actions because she does not want to deal with being a victim. But, that's just my theory:)

message 24: by Shanon (last edited Feb 03, 2009 08:20PM) (new)

Shanon (boban) There's no way Sookie could be #1 in Eric's life. If a rival of his (and I'm sure there are plenty) found out about his feelings for her she would become a target more then she already seems to be at times. Their relationship would always have to be kept a secret - not very appetizing. There is going to HAVE to be a new man introduced into her life if she is going to have that type of relationship. It will be very interesting to see how it works out.

Poor Sookie - she has been beaten down so much in her life, because of her differences, that she is willing to accept excuses from guys like Bill. I think she has a poor self image but through each trial she faces she is becoming a stronger and stronger woman.

message 25: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Interesting Shanon! I just don't think I could go through another relationship with Sookie and anyone else. I really think Eric is the one for her. I think he knows her (not just because of the blood) and I think it's been obvious since the first book. Eric is the one who saved her when Longshadow attacked her. It was my biggest complaint that the show had Bill save her instead. I think Sookie needs to accept that her life will always be a little crazy and that maybe Eric is her match.

message 26: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula717) | 19 comments Without getting too much into it, I guess it all depends on the reader. Everyone has their own opinion, which I respect. After reading it, I understood that Bill's reactions came from his vampire nature (we cannot forget he is not human) and Sookie managed to get through to him and once he realized what was happening he stopped.

I don't think Eric's character will change much, I think it would be extremely hard for him to always be the man Sookie needs and wants. We can't forget he's been a vampire for about 1000 years. That's a long time for someone to just change their ways.

message 27: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) That is true Paula - we are talking about a world were vamps are around. The excuses do hold a little more water then if it had been a human in the trunk of the car with Sookie.
But that would also mean that she would NEVER be safe in any relationship with ANY vampire. I don't know about that - but it's a possiblity I guess. Not a very fun possiblity for all of us readers who are rooting for Eric to change enough to work out with Sookie. Eric's just as much of a Vamp as Bill, if not more so because of his age.
But you do have a point - Bill is a vampire not a human.

message 28: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula717) | 19 comments Truthfully, if I had to pick, I'd rather Eric over Bill :o) The looks, the sarcasm... It's nice to be able to chat about the series, I read them all within a couple of weeks and my brain is swarming with questions, comments, etc.

On another note, has anyone considered that the author might "turn" Sookie? If she stays in a relationship with a vampire, she'll eventually grow old. Could the author present this scenario later on and have Sookie turned either by necessity or choice? What do you think?

message 29: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 56 comments I'd pick Eric too. Bill seems rather boring to me.

message 30: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I had thought about that while I was reading the series actually. But looking at it now - with all the Twilight frenzy going on I don't know Harris will take it that direction. Sookie's been around a lot longer then Bella (from Twilight) but it still might be perceived as trying to "cash-in" on the Twilight Phenomenon. But it could be an interesting twist. hmmmmm - the next book isn't coming out soon enough!

message 31: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula717) | 19 comments In the books, she was almost bit by a were/Were a few times, maybe she'll go in that direction. I think the whole "fairy" thing and the mystery about her parents will come to light at some point too.

message 32: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Paula, you should read book 8. There is alot about the whole fairy thing and Sookie. And I read on Harris' site that she will never turn Sookie, which I'm happy about. I thought Sookie would turn were for awhile too but now I'm not so sure. It would be interesting!

message 33: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula717) | 19 comments Thanks for the info! I was trying to wait til book #8 came out in paperback in May, to match the set, but I can see myself picking up the hardcover this weekend. Absolutely no will power when it comes to books. :o)

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wadsworth (jeniferj) Hi all! I just started a thread over in the Urban Fantasy group for anyone who's read the latest Sookie and wants to chat about it. It's Spoiler-heavy, though, so you may not want to read if you haven't gotten to the book. I'd repost here, but I don't know if it's better to post the same thing in multiple groups or just point everyone to the one post...

message 35: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Shanon wrote: "This is probably my favorite series. I read the first 8 books in about 2 weeks - uuummm obsessed??

I think Eric is great - tough on the outside but obviously a sweetie to those that know him. "

It's my favorite series, definitely. Well, in this genre anyway.

Eric is it. I love him.

message 36: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Please do not click on this link unless you want to see a scene from the second season of True Blood, as well as some stills of the cast. I love the books and show too much, I'm a sucker for all of the spoilers and speculation and I thought maybe some other people might have as little self control as I do. The clip is one of my favorite parts of book 2 and is pretty freaky.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/...

Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

All Together Dead (other topics)
Club Dead (other topics)