Books on the Nightstand discussion

more on audio books

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlathompson) | 42 comments Just a note on audio books. For those of you who don't know, I'm blind and do only audio. In a previous podcast, Ann complained that she couldn't read and knit at the same time. Ann, you can, just learn to do the audio. Others have written that they can never give up the printed or dead tree format. If I were sighted, I wouldn't either. I love the smell of a good book, or even a bad book, an old book but especially a new book. Your enjoyment is increased by the physical aspect of holding your book, your get away in your hand. I however can read and do just about anything at the same time. Just ask my husband. I have it down to a fine art. As audio is becoming more popular, the quality of the books has increased. Music in the background, interviews with authors and best of all, digital recordings. The narrators are talented people that we, the audio listener, get to know and we have our favorites, just like favorite authors. So, Ann and Michael, please do a pod cast on audio books, I think you'll be surprised what is out there and how it is growing and changing. Love this group
Carla

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Carla-

Thanks so much for your comments! Ann and I are getting to the time in our work schedule, which is cyclical, where we are doing a lot of driving. So we will definitely listen to some audios and get back to you. I have listened to them in the past, but not recently (mostly, I've been listening to podcasts in the car.)

Everyone, use this topic thread to share any audios you've listened to and enjoyed!

message 3: by Savvy (new)

Savvy  (savvysuzdolcefarniente) | 102 comments WHITE TIGER by Aravind Aniga was fabulous on CD!

from a review "John Lee delivers an absolutely stunning performance, reading with a realistic and unforced East Indian dialect. He brings the story to life, reading with passion and respect for Adiga's prose. Lee currently sits at the top of the professional narrator's ladder; an actor so gifted both in his delivery and expansive palette of vocal abilities that he makes it sound easy."

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Oh, my gosh, I might not be able to stop, Michael. I would love a program on audiobooks too and am almost as much of a fan as Carla.

Some of my favorites:

Bill Bryson's In A Sunburned Country and A Walk in the Woods--both read by Bryson who is one of the few writers who enhances his books by reading them. Normally, authors should leave the reading to the professionals.

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston read by Ruby Dee--This is the audiobook that hooked me on them forever. Ruby Dee crosses genders and age with such fluidity that I totally forgot that this was one person reading.

Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem read by Frank Muller--Muller was an actor who worked for Recorded Books and was a master narrator. Unfortunately, he died recently after a long recuperation from a motorcycle accident. I am fairly certain, after reading a bit of this book in print, that I only liked it because of Muller's incredible performance. He also does a great job with Pat Conroy's books, particularly The Prince of Tides.

I'm sure I'll be back with more.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Keep the recommends coming Barbara and thanks for the rave for WHITE TIGER, a book I'll probably never get to in print. Maybe I'll see if my library has the audio...

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (sdealfitzgerald) | 5 comments I don't say much, but here goes!

I use audiobooks at work. A Lot. I work in a library, prepping books for circulation, and doing book repair, and I first listened to an old cassette we had of "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" (Audio) read by the great Frank Muller. (I am sorry to hear of his passing, he had become a favorite reader.) Who knew I'd like Stephen King? I just needed the right format!

I love hearing Rick Bragg read his own work, so I am loving "The Prince of Frogtown."

Going to work, is like going on vacation. I'm a lucky woman. I'm also a knitter...

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (kaelesa) | 39 comments I think I've mentioned on other posts what a fan I am of audio books. Books that I couldn't get into, reading the paper version, I ended up loving when listening to audio.

Some of favorite finds: The Lord of the Rings trilogy read by Rob Inglis. He doesn't read these books, he performs them - giving each character their own voice, singing the songs as they occur in the story, not just reading the verses. It's a wonderful experience.

Any mention of audio book narrators should include Jim Dale performing the Harry Potter books. His Grammy-winning performances set a new standard.

Michael Crichton's Airframe, read by Frances Cassidy is another book I might never have read, but found engrossing in audio.

My audiobook collection is beginning to rival my print book collection. I listen in the car, when doing my cross stitch, and when just playing games or surfing the web on my computer.

message 8: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (dottiem) | 71 comments I don't listen to a lot of audio books but Paddy Clark Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle is one I would really recommend. Loved the book but it is a little difficult at times to follow because he doesn't give you any idea who is speaking. The audio version - with the wonderful accent - eliminates that problem and it really is one of the best looks into a ten year old's mind I have read.
dottie m.

message 9: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 6 comments I love to listen to audio books when I cross stitch and also when I clean. It makes the cleaning just fly by so I consider that a good thing!
One of my favorite was The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid written and read by Bill Bryson. It is a memoir and so funny. I couldn't get into reading Bee Season but it came alive on the audio book.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Hi All-

Ann and I just came up with a great idea. What if everyone called our voicemail line (206-350-2068) and left an audio version of your comments on audio books?

We could put them all together into a show about audios and we could chime in as well... One to two minutes talking about an audio book or two that you loved would be great!

So give us a call and share your thoughts (even if you've already left them here)

thanks,
Michael

p.s. the number again is (206) 350-2068. Call now before you forget!

message 11: by Lynnea (new)

Lynnea Taylor (lynnealtaylor) | 13 comments I've only listened to a couple but I love the format also for the freeing of the hand. It could never replace my love for holding a book, but I like sneaking them in here and there.

I've listened to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon and also Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara | 7 comments I've tried to listen to audio books and I cannot get into them. I find that my mind tends to wander when I have one on-I cannot seem to concentrate. I don't have that issue when I am holding a paper book. There is just something to be said for the feel and smell of a bound book that captivates me!

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
I think it's safe to say that audiobooks are not for everybody.

For me, I need to listen to more "story-driven" books as opposed to books where much of the magic is in the writing. I usually listen when I'm driving, so I don't absorb every single word.

message 14: by Carla (new)

Carla  (carlathompson) | 42 comments I agree, audio is not for everyone. I have blind friends who still do a lot of Braille books,. They love the feel and smell of a book also. The problem with Braille is that the books are huge, they come in several volumes. Reading a long book with refreshable Braille is time consuming as the keyboard display is constantly moving. I am still thinking of what I want to say for my phone call, I haven't forgotten.
Carla

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I LOVE audio books because I drive 2 hours each day. It is my saving grace. Sometimes certain books are not really good on audio and I tuck them away after one disc, but a few have been GEMS. Recently I have loved:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Everything is Illuminated
Austenland

I think the narration plays a huge factor and it is a real gift to be able to record audio books. For example, I heard amazing things about The Thirteenth Tale but I couldn't get into it on audio. (I am going to read a copy of it soon.)

The car is the only place I listen to audiobooks. I still prefer having a book in hand. At the gym, I plug in to listen to the tv or listen to Podcasts.

message 16: by Savvy (new)

Savvy  (savvysuzdolcefarniente) | 102 comments Stephanie,
I listened to THIRTEENTH TALE on audio and agree with you...it was lackluster.

I highly recommend WHITE TIGER on audio though!
A stunning performance!