FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Hurdles > Motivation, Need Help!!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelica (last edited Jan 26, 2009 12:32PM) (new)

Angelica (angelica221) My Sunday and today have been thrown me off totally! First off, I did not fear the beer! In fact, I had too much of the stuff. I want to say six- not all at one time mind you, but I had six, 2 were light and the other 4 were just good. I had a bunch of pizza too with a canoli. I was sloppy drunk and well... and the canoli was a great dessert. Why does pizza and beer taste so damned good together?

Finally went out to lunch today with friends. I had Beef Chow Mein with crispity.. fried... bad for you but tastes good anyway food. I logged it into Sparkpeople and I think I've had my calorie consumption for the week. I'm not dragging the cart down the hill with me again.(That's one of the reasons I joined this group in the first place... that and the sexy guy pic). Tonight I'm going to eat chicken and salad which was what I was planning on having anyways. I'm also going to weight lift as soon as I finish this post. I just want to let you guys know that I read the posts regularly and find motivation in them. Any positive quotes you can give when I step on the scale this Thursday would be greatly appreciated. True to my word, I'm going off to weight lift.
Petu

message 2: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Petu - now, this may be cliche, but recognizing you have a prolem is the first step to recovery... LOL... seriously... I have been there... the weekend was bad for me too, but you are doing the right thing - You caught yourself and you are going to the gym and planning a sensible dinner.

One of the toughest parts I had to learn in weight loss was not beating myself up when I fell off the wagon. Just hike your butt back on (the exercise bike) and keep going (pedaling).

WTG for the trip to the gym!!!

message 3: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Trudy-LOL!!! You have me in stitches! This time around I refuse to beat myself up, I just need to "confess", "tell" someone what I ate.

I weight lift and row at home. I did a half hour of weight lifting and 20 mins of rowing. I'm just glad I didn't take the wagon down with me on the hill. The splinters are hell!

message 4: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) Trudy, I recognize I have a problem and still have no motivation to do anything!!! HELP ME!!!

message 5: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Petu - I am jealous that you have equiptment IN YOUR HOUSE... I turned to hubby last night as we were on adjoining torture devices (AKA the Ellipticle or Eucalyptus as hubby calls it) and said - "we need one of these for the house when we get settled." I heard the words coming out of my mouth, but I think I was delirious at the time, so I don't know if that counts in a court of law... Again - kudos for working out and I know all about those splinters - LOL

message 6: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Cyndi... I can go deeply emotional on my motivation, but I am going to stick with this: find something you love (besides eating) and do it... do it until you sweat!!! I have a friend that is taking a pole dancing class, they also have lap dancing classes now... I can't imagine doing it, but she LOVES it... I also have one friend that for 15 minutes when she gets home from work blasts the music and jumps/dances around like a crazy person. I have never witnessed this, mind you, but knowing her... the comparison to the crazy person would probably insult the crazy person! : )

message 7: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) I've seen the "Dance it out!" on Grey's Anatomy and it looks like fun! I'm going to try it!

message 8: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Trudy- at least at the gym you can socialize with other people.

message 9: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) That's true - Except I end up just sticking a nose in a book when I am on the bike or watching the individual TV's on the treadmill... I am not anti social, but it really is the only time I get to myself anymore, so I enjoy it...

They were actually starting pick up Volleyball last night until it snowed... I guess it will just start next Wednesday now... I am really looking forward to that and I will of course be forced to talk to the "other people" LOL

message 10: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Hey I do that myself-stick my nose in a book. I wish I could row and read.. that would be cool. I just don't think I'd be coordinated enough. I'd fall off the rower. Yay Volleyball!

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
I've thought about working out and listening to a book on tape (um, I mean pod--tapes are so 80s)? I got an ipod with the express purpose of listening to it when I work out and haven't used the damn thing yet. But anyway, this reminds me of the one and only time I've ever tried to work out in front of the television. I had this crappy elliptical machine in my living room, so I put on a DVD and hopped on. I was going to town just ellipting my little legs off and enjoying watching the show, when about 15 minutes into my workout, I'd noticed that I wasn't doing anything anymore. I was just standing there, staring at the television, mesmerized, not moving a muscle.

message 12: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) LMAO Amanda!!! picturing the stupefied expression when you realized you were just standing there...

I need to purchase an IPOD (or MP3... I get kinda cranky on the Itunes only policy for purchasing music)... Music really helps me pedal or whatever like crazy

Good idea with the book on tape... or CD in my case... I have TON of books on CD (really cheap at Sam's Club)... even though I have heard them before, I wouldn't mind listening to them again since it has been years... I can't read on the treadmill... but they do have individual TV's with cable... so it isn't as bad as the old days where all you had to do was wait for it to be over... lol

My issue is I am doing the ellipticle now and those TV's are shared so inevitably someone will get the bright idea to put ESPN classic on and I get pissed... really... do all THREE TV's have to have something sports related on them? I don't dislike sports, but can it be something CURRENT and not something from 10 years ago - really? sigh... thanks for letting me vent....

message 13: by Angelica (last edited Feb 05, 2009 04:54PM) (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Hey Trudy,

Can you talk to someone about getting one of the channels changed? Or go Special Agent Trudy on their butt and change the channel. Pretend to have a helluva a sneeze or something and hit the channel button. When everyone starts watching Gilmore Girls or whatever and gets irritated, just play dumb. Usually the deer in headlights is a good technique.

And if they keep putting sports on... get this...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/elec...

message 14: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) LMAO... that is priceless!!!!

message 15: by Amanda (last edited Feb 08, 2009 04:53AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
Hahahaha! And for less than $20, too. It's a steal. Hilarious.

This reminds me of a story a friend of mine told. (And for the life of me I can't remember what friend told this story--I hope it wasn't one of y'all.) So anyway, this guy works out at the Y, and while he was working out one day, he noticed an old man hop on the treadmill, stare at the TV for a few seconds, and then whip a remote control out of his pocket so he could change the channel. Evidently, he'd figured out what kind of televisions the Y used, and bought a remote from radio shack so he could be in charge of his own destiny...

message 16: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) OMG that is so awesome!!!

message 17: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) That is funny, but if that was a shared TV, I would have had to smack him...

So, now the new thing at my Y is they took the radio out of the Cardio room and they are going to replace it with an IPOD or something with music requested by the members. So far I have seen Aretha Franklin and some other uninspiring artists on the request list. Why can't people just leave things alone. I KNOW what happened... 1 or 2 people (older, I am sure) complained about the radio and now we must all suffer... sigh

message 18: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) I'm telling you... you need to bust out secret agent Trudy. Sneak a radio in... bring a big bag. If you're questioned, tell them it's snacks or something.

message 19: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) LOL - I just feel bad about kicking some old guy's butt... its just not right... no matter how WRONG he is... lol