Harry Potter discussion

FanFiction & Other Series > Favorite Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is your favorite book???

message 2: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments of the HP series, or any book?
my fav HP. is deathly hallows, and i guess my favorite book is probly...i dunno, maybe one of the artemis fowl books...

message 3: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments i really like the percy jackson series - the final one is coming out soon, i'm so excited!

as for my favorite hp book, i'd go with the third. :)

message 4: by Emma the Shadowhunter (last edited Jan 27, 2009 03:26PM) (new)

Emma the Shadowhunter (emmalisastincelli) | 52 comments Gunjari wrote: "i really like the percy jackson series - the final one is coming out soon, i'm so excited!

as for my favorite hp book, i'd go with the third. :)"

I love the Percy Jackson series, but my favorite HP by far is #7

message 5: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
I have never read the Percy Jackson series. The Harry Potter books are my most favorite of all time, but I also love The Lord of The Rings and the His Dark Materials books. His Dark Materilas is a trilogy made up of The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass.

message 6: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments i tried to start his dark materials, but it was too thick for me. :) i guess that i'm just like that. now, harry potter, even though the seventh book is thicker than his darks, wasn't too thick for me. i guess that's just me ... :)

message 7: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments wow... i just used the word 'me' a lot. i didn't even realize that... :)

message 8: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments as well as "thick" haha, i thought you meant, like, 'deep', but you actually mean like physically, thick, like alot of pages... geez, the more pages a book has, the more i wanna try it... sadly they're so often boring... hmm..

message 9: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments i guess both thick and deep... like honestly, i wasn't GETTING it! and i was halfway through, but still not getting it so finally i gave up. it was too deep and thick...

message 10: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments haha, i never tried it... apparently it has a lot of anti-Catholic themes and background or something, so, not allowed... i originally wasn't allowed to read hatrry potter either, but my dad saw the movie, and decided it was fine :D

message 11: by Aneri (new)

Aneri | 186 comments i LOVE Lois Duncan books..she is a great author. My favorite book from her is Killing Mr. Griffin. Greaat book!!

As for Harry Potter, I don't have favorites for it, but the 5th really blew me away :) I just got my friend into the Harry Potter series..she used to LOVE Twilight and now she is basically like praying to Harry Potter!!!!!!! I'm so proud of her, I'm going to take her to see HP6!

*Sorry I had to add that in..I'm just so proud of her!*

message 12: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Jan 28, 2009 01:08PM) (new)

I like Lois Duncan too. I did like Killing Mr. Griffin, but it sort of creeped me out. I think it was Mark(?). I'm not sure if that was his name, but I mean the kid whose idea it was.

His Dark Materials is deep (and thick), but those are some of the reasons why I love it so much. I've read the trilogy four or five times. (Which is not a lot compared to how much I read Harry Potter.) I especially love the characters, but I think the plot is very interesting and exciting too. The beginning of The Golden Compass (and pretty much most of the trilogy) isn't really as fast-paced as Harry Potter, but it still got me hooked.

I agree with the messages in His Dark Materials. I'm not religious at all, but I do know that some religious people enjoy it. The author does call himself somewhere between an atheist and agnostic. He is against a controling religion, that dominates peoples lives and doesn't allow for freedom. In the story, there are many alternate worlds. The Church, or Magisterium, in Lyra's (the main character's) world tries to control all people and want to keep them ignorant. During the time when the story starts, they are concerned with a substance called Dust, which is attracted to adults, but not children. Dust is sort of like particles of light that are conscious. The Church thinks that Dust is evidence of original sin. (This relates to the story of Adam and Eve, which plays a large part, but I won't go into that because I know I've already made this sound really confusing.) Anyway, a branch of the Church does horrible experiments on children to try and stop them from attracting Dust. This is sort of like preventing them from being mature adults and is compared to castration. Anyway, the main plot point of the story is that Lyra's father is waging war on the Authority to preserve Dust. The Authority is one angel among many. He calls himself god, but he did not create anything. He just told the other angels that he created them to gain power, but he is now very weak and has delegated that power. My point was just to show where the religious stuff comes in. It is a large part of the plot, but isn't the only part because the story is mainly about Lyra, who is a young girl. I think this book can be enjoyed just because it is a fantasy and that the ideas it promotes are kindness, courage, love, tolerance, open mindedness (author's words), not because you agree with all of the author's views. (But if you don't like thick, deep books, you won't like it either.)

Sorry, I didn't mean to write that much, since it really isn't on topic, but I can get carried away trying to explain His Dark Materials because I love it so much.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth personally, I don't really like His Dark Materials. It's not the religious stuff - I am religious, but I think that it's ridiculous when people get all angry about books like these. I don't know about you, but I don't base my personal spiritual beliefs on fantasy books, no matter how good they are. But I didn't really like His Dark Materials - I only read the first one, and it kind of put my off reading the rest. It was in my opinion really boring, and I didn't like how her friend died at all. It made no sense to me, and I was sort of creeped out.

Anyway, next to harry potter, my favorite series are Pellinor books (I just finished the last one today - SO epic, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good, almost second best to harry potter in my book), the Starcatcher books (equally awesome - the evil guy is SO cool), the percy jackson books (woot), and I used to like the Warriors series, but they've gone on for far too long in my opinion. They're on their what, sixteenth book??

but by far, the seventh hp book was my favorite. It just was SO COOL, and I loved how jkr was able to just wrap everything up perfectly, and not in that rushed, disgusting way that twilight did it - but I'm not going to go there, I have a word limit and my rant would be too long. I liked how we got more Voldemort episodes, cause that's just me, and the final battles were simply spectacular.

after that the fifth and sixth and third and fourth all kind of tie, and the second and first are after those.

message 14: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments omg i love the starcatchers as well! except i haven't read them in some time- *goes to reread*

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth :-) I just LOVE ombra - he is soooo cool, one of the best villains ever. Voldemort, of course, is top.

message 16: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Elizabeth, I don't base my beliefs on fantasy books either, and in my opinion no one should. Though, I do happen to agree with the messages in HDM. I guess we just have different opinions on some books, because I don't think the Golden Compass is boring at all. As for Lyra's friend's death, I think it was necessary, but very sad.

I've never read the Pellinor, Starcatcher, or Warriors books. I'd like to read the Starcatchers though. Who wrote them?

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth It's written by two people, Ridley Pearson and Dave Barry. They're AWESOME, you seriously should read them!!!!!!!!!!!

message 18: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments the first one is called 'peter and the starcatchers.' the whole series is like a prequel to the peter pan story. it's a good series!

message 19: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments btw there are three books, i beleive. (cmiif)

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I think they are planning on a new one, Peter and the Sword of Mercy, but that might just be a rumor.

message 21: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

I guess I'm really confused because I have read them. I don't know what I was thinking of. They were okay, I guess. I kind of thought they were boring.

message 22: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 18 comments I read The Dark Materials and I liked the series, but I honestly don't understand all the hype around it. Plus, I read it a good few years ago. Is this just me?

message 23: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments peter and the sword of mercy... i'll look into that but i think the series had a kinda feeling of finality at the end of the third one, you know? but maybe that's just me...

message 24: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments yeah, i think it's just a rumor. i read the official web site and it said that there were only three books and no plans for a fourth, that the series was done. but a fourth book would be nice! i love that series.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth yeah, I do to, Gunjari! But I agree, the last one had a kind of finality to it. Another one would seem kind of anti-climatic, or whatever the word is. But another book would be so cool ... I mean, they brought ombra back from supposed death before, why not again??

message 26: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa | 48 comments Cool. Two more books to add to my 'to be read' list. Pellinor and Starcatchers.

I've tried Percy Jackson, but was having a hard time getting into it. I'm gonna try again though. I had to give Harry Potter a few tries before I actually got into it.

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows has to be my favorite book.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I adore percy jackson! the last one it worth all of the stupid mistakes made, trust me.

message 28: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

I also really like The Bartimaeus Trilogy. I think it's a pretty enjoyable easy read, but the end of the last book did make me sad.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth OOH I love those I completely forgot to mention them!!! yeah the third one is really really sad, I agree.

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth this just came to mind, has anyone read eon: dragoneye reborn?? the sequel is coming out in march or something like that, its REALLY good, but I recommend it to older readers - its kind of violent.

message 31: by Rutvi (new)

Rutvi  (rutviravani) my favriote book besides harry potter are ruby hollow by sharon creech and the kidnapped series by gordan korman

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth ugh no offense but I HATE sharon creech. I don't like realistic fiction in general, in fact. It's usually depressing stuff about how their friend is on drugs or their parents are jerks or they hate their boyfriend/girlfriend or they are mentally disabled blahblahblak. That's why I prefer fantasy, and of course harry potter.

message 33: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

I've never read anything by Shannon Creech. In general, I don't like realistic fiction as much as fantasy either, though I do like it better than science fiction.

message 34: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:52AM) (new)

Elizabeth Some science fiction is decent, like the Hunger Games. But I agree, most of it isn't my type. I read almost exclusively fantasy.

message 35: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

I havn't read Hunger Games, but I don't mind stories with some science fiction elements. I've read a few of Michael Crighton's books, but not much other science fiction.

message 36: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments one good sci fi book that i like is called 'heartland' by t a barron, but it's also kinda fantasy. up until recently i only read fantasy basically as well, but now i've branched out more... :)

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I like T.A. Barron's merlin and tree of avalon books so-so. I haven't read all of them. I didn't know he wrote a science fiction book, though!

message 38: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Of his books, I've only read all five books in the Lost Years of Merlin series and The Merlin Effect about Kate. They were okay. I thought some of the dramatic parts were overdone and the Merlin books sort of had Star Wars plot elements. Some parts were just boring, like the beginning of the Wings of Merlin.

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I didn't get that far, I think I ended around the one that had the troll thing on the cover ... when he had to get those verses or something like that for the staff.

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) I just found these books, the Discworld ones. I just found them, but apparently, they've been around forever. And are really popular.

It's fantasy, but it's a lot more parody and satire then most fantasy.

message 41: by Aneri (new)

Aneri | 186 comments I'm reading The Giver, right now by Lois Lowry. It's a really good book actually. It's about a boy, Jonas, who lives in a community in the future where everything is perfect. It's a utopia. And there are ceremonies for coming of age (12) and Jonas is given the assignment of being the new Reciever. Really nice book, interesting too.

message 42: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

I liked the Giver too. I read it six years ago, so I don't really remember the whole story, but I do remember I enjoyed it. There are sequels, right? I've never read them though.

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) I read it in 7th. It was amazing. :) And I think there are sequels but not related to the original story or something.

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I read that book ... it was okay. It kind of creeped me out. I liked it, though.

One author I really like is Robin Mckinley. I like almost all of her stuff, especially her new book, Chalice. I also like the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. They take like every single culture/myth/legend in the WORLD and pack it all together is to a fascinating book. They're reallyreally good, I'm waiting for the next one ...

message 45: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

I tried reading Spindle's End by Robin Mckinley. I read more than half of it, but I couldn't get into it at all. It was one of the most boring books I've ever tried to read. What other good books did she write, except Chalice?

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Beauty, retelling of Beauty and the Beast. That's my favorite fairy tale so I loved it. She also wrote Rose Daughter, which is another retelling of the same story, but in my opinion its not as good

The Outlaws of Sherwood, which is a take on Robin Hood

The Blue Sword and the Hero's Crown, which are companion books - this girl comes to a colony and there are these natives who recognize her as a chosen one of some sort, I read the first one but I haven't read the second one yet.

and that's about it that I know of. I didn't like Spindle's End either, Pandy. It was really boring, I agree.

message 47: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Thanks Elizabeth. I'll try one of the other ones.

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth No prob ...

Some other books I like (not written by robin mcklinley) are the Eragon books, the Imaginarium Geographica books, and I've recently read Dracula, and I know it's a really old book, but it's AMAZINGLY good. And I noticed a lot of harry potter parallels, as well, which sounds really strange I know but it's true!

message 49: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Mar 13, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

I want to read Dracula. I started reading it on the internet the other day, but I would rather read it from an actual book.

I've never head of the Imaginarium Geographica books. I have to say, I really don't like Eragon and the other books in the series. It bugs me that so much of the plot and the characters are like Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings. I don't like the writing style either because it seems like it is trying to imitate the Lord of the Rings. Despite the fact that Eragon wasn't really original, I think it was still interesting enough to read. In my opinion Eldest and Brisingr are much worse, especially Brisingr. I thought they were extremely boring. The plots seemed drawn out until the very end and then they seemed rushed.

Some of my other favorite books are And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie, To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain).

message 50: by Kj (new)

Kj | 12 comments Elizabeth wrote: "No prob ...

Some other books I like (not written by robin mcklinley) are the Eragon books, the Imaginarium Geographica books, and I've recently read Dracula, and I know it's a really old book, but..."

is imaginarium geographica in english? when i lookd it up it appeared to be in german or swiss...

« previous 1