Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

DON'T FORGET: NO TV WEEK NEXT MONDAY

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 12 comments Don't forget; we're going to try to go a week without tv starting Monday, Feb. 2nd (the day after the super bowl). No rules..you can dvr what you missed, etc. Try to journal how your week is going either here or at the group daily diary. Looking forward to it. :)

Ed

message 2: by Ron (new)

Ron Easy for me. I don't watch TV anyway.

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed | 12 comments I wonder what it would be like to permanently get rid of the tv?

message 4: by Cleanfun (new)

Cleanfun | 3 comments Ed wrote: "I wonder what it would be like to permanently get rid of the tv?"

You'll probably be much healthier and live longer because of it. Plus you can actually be making money doing something you enjoy rather than rotting your brain on all the filth they peddle on television anymore.

You'll probably get out more and find several productive things to fill your time. You actually have the time necessary to nourish current relationships as well as begin new ones.

As a hobby, I personally like to collect tools and to cut costs of living as much as possible. It's like a game around here. Beat the system by trying to get as far off the grid as possible while still living well.

For instance, I switched from disposable safety razors to a straight razor. That could get up to $20/wk if you like a good shave. Now I shave as much as I want for just the cost of shaving cream. The straight razor paid for itself in the first couple months.

I started a garden when produce shot through the roof several months back. Saving on green beans, tomatoes, onions, radish, etc ... Have to wait 2+ years for the avocado trees to yield though. =(

Just this morning I ordered 7 different types of tobacco seeds. One particular strain generates so much nicotine that Indians used to use it as poison for their darts/arrows! It's used now as a powerful insect repellent.

There are so many interesting things you can grow. Plus, the relationship between man and plant is a significant one. We keep each other alive with what we exhale. I keep them watered and healthy, they keep me breathing clean air, feed me, and provide me with little luxuries. Plus their pleasant to look at and can generate you money. And if and when everything falls apart, I'll hardly notice whereas millions of others will be starving and throwing themselves out of buildings.

If you're not into growing things, building things, or inventing things, you could always take up a sport and actually have the time needed to be competitive at it.

If you're still in a career, you could be spending all that time positioning and furthering yourself in it.

Television is like any other nasty crutch. Once you go enough days without it you'll start to enjoy all of the benefits & rewards and you'll never go back. And if you do, you'll kick yourself over it once you become dependent on it again.

Besides, if there's a show you absolutely have to watch, which there isn't, but if there was, you could easily download it from isohunt.

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (photoscribe) | 83 comments Ed wrote: "I wonder what it would be like to permanently get rid of the tv?"
=====================================================

Bite thy tongue, knave!!

This country would go stir crazy if TV was banned!!

Trust me!

Stephen H. Turner
The Last Voyage of the Cassiopeia
Almagest The Adventures of MarsShield
The Avedon Question

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed | 12 comments The week went well for me...got more reading, piano playing, and exercise in. I made a point not to increase computer time to compensate for no tv time. :)

message 7: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn (karowak) | 1 comments I have missed this adventure, but I have been letting my Tivo record during those prime time hours so I can read instead. Then I watch the shows I missed in the mornings when I get ready, or during that extra lazy few hours when I rise on Sunday. It's been a good long term solution for me so that I don't have to miss some mindless entertainment, and I can read all those books that have been calling out to me.

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan (dannytheinfidel) | 32 comments I don't like boycotts, so I boycotted it.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I think the DVR or Tivo (we have the former) is the best invention yet. I'd never want to watch TV without it again. We used to set a timer on the VCR, which worked OK too, but was a pain. We're usually asleep or getting ready for bed when most of the shows we want to watch come on or else busy with something else for the early ones. Skipping commercials is a real blessing.