The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > DON'T FORGET: NO TV WEEK NEXT MONDAY

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 33 comments Don't forget; we're going to try to go a week without tv starting Monday, Feb. 2nd (the day after the super bowl). No rules..you can dvr what you missed, etc. Try to journal how your week is going either here or at the group daily diary. Looking forward to it. :)

Ed

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hmm...tv down, reading up!

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed | 33 comments Sure you can watch or not watch dvd's...it's up to you. I think the key for me is to avoid the tv as much as possible. Sure I may watch a movie but being away from the tube should be liberating...at least I hope so.

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I can go a week without t.v.. I don't have DVR either, but I don't think the world will stop spinning if I don't watch! :)

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) that smiley looks like the frog king Fiona

:)

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice >:( That is soooo cute! I can't get the parenthese close to the eyes like yours. Don't throw it Fiona! I would miss you if you had no way to post :(

message 7: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (kendrareadsbooks) | 23 comments I won't be watching TV at all this week & should be fairly simple as I have to travel for a manager meeting for the week, but I also will have very little time to read either...except on the plane coming & going....

message 8: by MG (new)

MG Hardie | 28 comments Well times are hard so I am cutting my cable off so I'll be able to comply.

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments I would do this....but there's Lost. And Grey's Anatomy.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth | 342 comments I'm looking forward to no TV week next week!

I'm giving up internet for pleasure too. That means no goodreads.com, no yelp.com, no ravelry.com, no pogo.com...nothing.

I have to use the internet for work so I can't cut it out entirely, but I'm *only* using it for work-related searches or business purposes (such as banking).

I'm very curious to see what I can accomplish without the distractions!

message 11: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) There are TVs on at work the whole time so I couldn't do this. I don't think it would be at all hard to give up TV but I couldn't give up internet.

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 342 comments Epee wrote: There are TVs on at work the whole time so I couldn't do this.

Huh. I didn’t even think about the TV at my work but we have them as well. I think I can still make this work though because the only TV I go past regularly is in the break room and I never spend more than a couple minutes in there to use the microwave, get water, hunt for caffeine, etc. I suppose I’ll just have to avert my eyes. Not like that will be too difficult to begin with since the only channel we watch at work is CNBC which is one of the most boring television channels in existence.

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlyanne) | 13 comments Great idea. I have the DVR all set up. Should be a good week - but WAIT! What about Jeopardy? Can we have a 30 minute a day exception for Jeopardy????

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Where do you guys work that have all those t.v.s?

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth | 342 comments I work for a brokerage firm...they almost all have TV's around. If something "big" happens, it can have an impact on what we spend the rest of our day doing.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I don't watch tv All the lead paint in my old house makes the rabbit ears not work. And my husband and I hate being tied down to the schedules, so we don't have cable or anything. Whenever we hear of a good show we wait for the dvd box set to come out and watch it that way at our own pace (mostly we collect anime). SO the only time I'm watching tv is when I'm crafting. And I can take a break from that for a week easy. Now lets see if I can remember. Maybe the only time my t.v. will be on is when we watch a movie before bed (because there is NO nightlife in our town). ;)

message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments What would life be like without DVR??!?!?!

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I don't have it! I honestly don't know that I would really watch whatever I recorded, but I would LOVE the option!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

This will be fun. I am pulling out the board games & books! Yeah. Maybe I can finish Moby Dick!?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I need to not mail my netflix movies.

message 21: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10023 comments Mod
With all my favorite shows coming back on, I could never agree to something as insane as no TV....

Lost and Fringe are my must sees.....

you guys are nuts!

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I have decided to wait for Lost until the DVD's come out. I just re-watched last season in anticipation for this season, and realized I get so much more out of it if I can watch them at MY pace. I know it's a long time, but...

message 23: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10023 comments Mod
I dont know how you do it! I cant even wait to DVR and watch without commericals. I have to see them as they air.....

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice My husband is pretty upset with my decision as we used to watch it together. I promised him as many at once as we can manage... when it comes out on DVD.

message 25: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Good luck everybody!!!! You get so much time to do other great things!!!!

message 26: by Darla (new)

Darla (isishalo1) | 573 comments I watch no more than 3 hours worth of TV a week to begin with, so I won't be participating. I'm most definitely not addicted, (not even close) so I don't feel the need to purge it from my life. (Anyone who has been following the winter reading challenge knows that I've been doing little with my life except read -- I'm on my 26th book since Dec. 3rd)

Good luck to the rest of you though. I know quite a few people who have, what I would call, severe TV addiction, so I know it might be rough on a few of you!!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a few more hours. NOt that it matters the TV hasn't been on all day.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I am so ready we didn't turn the TV on at all today! I can do this next week. I guess today was a tester day!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Darla: it would be very easy for you to cut out the 3 hours a week. Think of it as an additional 3 hours to read!

message 30: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Sorry, I don't have dvr, and I am addicted to tv, almost as much as books....hehe

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I don't know why...but that makes me think of "7 Female Lawyers." I wish I could watch more of that...Anyway, I'm doing good with the no-tv thing though. I only "watched" one disk of Evangelion while I cooked and ate dinner last night. It is so hard to read and eat; I figured it would be forgivable. And I finished two books while I was afterward. ;)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Man...I missed this memo hardcore. I watched One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl AND 24 last night...tonight I fully intend to watch Biggest Loser and American Idol.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I don't know about anyone else but...I did terrible. I don't do a lot of reading on my husband's days off because we hang out and do things together. Well last week he decided he wanted to rent a video game. It was five days(saturday) before I picked up a book again. And when he came home saturday night after I had returned the game...he had a copy that he bought on his way home. But I did read half of Until I Find You in about 36 hours. Does that make up for it? Harvest Moon is eating my brain...

message 34: by Ed (new)

Ed | 33 comments The week went well for me...got more reading, piano playing, and exercise in. I made a point not to increase computer time to compensate for no tv time. :)