The Swarm The Swarm discussion

ok but too detailed....

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karen the action was very good and suspenseful but the scientific stuff got to be so boring that I skipped paragraphs & even pages....the author is very anti-american which is ok, I guess.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 06, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

You know, I didn't find it so much anti-American(and I'm a misty-eyed-at-the-anthemn kind of girl) but I did find it cumbersome. As though the writer wrote for the sake of writing instead of to enhance the plot. I also skipped pages and paragraphs... oddly enough, this didn't effect my understanding of the storyline at all. That, I think, says volumes.

The book as an excellent premise, good enough to pull off the verbosity, but it's flawed. If it had a good edit, it could have rivaled Crichton here in America.

Karen Shawna wrote: "You know, I didn't find it so much anti-American(and I'm a misty-eyed-at-the-anthemn kind of girl) but I did find it cumbersome. As though the writer wrote for the sake of writing instead of to enh..."

I agree with the "good edit" part completely!!

Emre as a publisher in Turkey, I have had the opportunity to compare the English translation to the original while the translation for Turkish was in process and I can say that, the English translation wasn't very good at all. So I totally agree with "good edit" part, as well.

Judy Emre wrote: "as a publisher in Turkey, I have had the opportunity to compare the English translation to the original while the translation for Turkish was in process and I can say that, the English translation ..."

I read it in the original language and I am not sure if its just because of a terrible translation, but I found the huge amount of detail extremely entertaining and I thought that it added tension to the story. I mean Frank Schätzing is famous for his amount of research he does before writing and for me, this is what makes me LOVE this book.

Alexandra Nantel Judith wrote: "I read it in the original language and I am not sure if its just because of a terrible translation, but I found the huge amount of detail extremely entertaining and I thought that it added tension to the story. I mean Frank Schätzing is famous for his amount of research he does before writing and for me, this is what makes me LOVE this book. "

I totally agree with you ! I can't talk for his others books, The Swarm is my first Frank Schätzing, but the huge amount of descriptions made the story all the more exciting and plausible (in a sense). I loved that he described all the behaviours, phenomenons, etc etc. I'm really impressed by the research he did on the subject ...

Could someone recommend me other good books he wrote ?