BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Group Books Under Discussion > The Chronicles of Narnia Discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
This is a section for comments for the Chronicles of Narnia book set.
There may be spoilers so don't read these comments unless you have read the books.
Unless you don't mind spoilers...

message 2: by Susan (NY) (new)

Susan (NY) How are most of us reading the series in, Chronological order or Publication order?

message 3: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyullmanbell) I listened to all of them in chronological order.

message 4: by Susan (NY) (new)

Susan (NY) Peggy wrote: "I listened to all of them in chronological order."

Thanks Peggy, that's the order I think I'm going to read them in too.
Your book "Fixin' Things: A Novel of Women at Gettysburg" looks very interesting, I am going to put it in my to-read shelf.

message 5: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyullmanbell) Thank you. After you've read it please post a review here. I'd be interested in what you have to say about it.

message 6: by Wes, Moderator (new)

I am almost done with the first one The Magicians Nephew

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 22 comments I have read the set through 5 or so times and I insist on reading them in publication order. I know Magician's Nephew is chronologically first, but I think you miss things that matter if you haven't read the ones published before it before you read it. More insight into characters and how the whole thing hags together reading it in order of publication, in my opinion.

message 8: by Wes, Moderator (new)

What is the order of publication for this series?

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 22 comments * 1.1 The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
* 1.2 Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (1951)
* 1.3 The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
* 1.4 The Silver Chair (1953)
* 1.5 The Horse and His Boy (1954)
* 1.6 The Magician's Nephew (1955)
* 1.7 The Last Battle (1956)
from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chro...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

My life has settled a bit and I have finally started the series. I am reading it in the chronological order as it occurs in the edition I got. I am on chapter 4 of The Magicians Nephew and am not captivated.

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 22 comments @Sandra, Hence my comments about reading in publication order. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe will hook you. The continuation of the story in Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader will give you the background knowledge about the significance of the events in Magician's Nephew, which makes it more interesting.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I have finished The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and that did pull me into the story. The associations with religion, esp. Christian, were evident and compelling. I am now reading The Horse and His Boy.
I can appreciate the advice to reading the chronological order now

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 22 comments Lewis was a very respected theologian in his time. I am still amazed at his ability to translate deep doctrinal mysteries of Christianity into a story children can comprehend.

message 14: by Wes, Moderator (new)

The reason I think the Magicians nephew is important is because it relates to the beginning or the creation of Narnia.

So I am starting there I know the gist of the other stories so I am not lost at all while reading these.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) I just bought this a few weeks ago at BAM... it is one book with all of the stories in it, "in the way the author meant to tell the story"..... Of course it starts with The Magicians Nephew. Think I may have to skip around in the book... not very into it reading it so far.

message 16: by Wes, Moderator (new)

I think so far being on book 3 right now is that the characters are not as important or not as interesting as the adventure they are in. In some ways I really don't care what happens to the main characters because I really have no reason to like them. They are just plucked out of nothing (or a crowd) and given something greater than themselves.

message 17: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 22 comments I agree, these books are really about big ideas and grand stories, rather than individuals. That may have been a mistake the marketers of the recent movies made. They tried to sell it on the basis of certain stars as certain characters. The characters are really just vehicles for the story.

message 18: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Jul 31, 2009 02:05PM) (new)

I am finishing up book 6 The Silver Chair I read them in sequential order and getting ready to start book 7. After I finish book 7 I will start vloging them on my youtube site. http://www.youtube.com/user/pricerigh...
I am really enjoying them. I do like how the characters change in every book and how the time passes so far in the future so that there is the oportunity for new adventures.
Woo hoo go Aslan it is funny that he is only a factor when needed. But he seems to be only a minor character in the last few books.

message 19: by Geisha (new)

Geisha (MrsGeisha) | 2 comments Cynthia wrote: " * 1.1 The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
* 1.2 Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (1951)
* 1.3 The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
* 1.4 The Silver Chair (1953)
* 1..."

That may be chronological order, but it is very confusing to read them in that order. It's better to read them in the order in which IN the books' world is chronological, which starts with "The Magician's Nephew", because, as I'm sure you already know, how the whole thing even gets started with Narnia.

message 20: by Wes, Moderator (new)

I started with the Magicians Nephew then Lion the witch, then price caspian,...

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan McF | 1 comments I seriously loved these books when I read them in middle school, and have read a few multiple times. I was such a fan had to know everything about not only the books, but C.S. Lewis as well. I even watched the movie The Shadowlands (brilliant title for the movie, given it's tie-in to The Last Battle) when I was something like 12.

Sadly, I re-read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe before the movie came out a few years ago, and I didn't like it as much as I did in my youth. The story is great, but I didn't find the style as engaging as I once did. I therefore decided not to read any of the other books again; for fear that I would taint my love affair with them as well.That said, to this day I can still recite the end of The Last Battle (my favorite of the series) word-for-word.

I recommend reading Neil Gaiman's short story "The Problem of Susan," which is found in his book Fragile Things. It's a great story about something that always bothered me about The Chronicles. Be forewarned - it's not for young readers.

message 22: by Wes, Moderator (new)

I forgot to post on here that I finished all 7 books last week. I am posting reviews of them on youtube if you search reviewed by wes you should be able to pull them up... Amazing books some were better than others but all together make a great read.