American Gods: All Gaiman, All The Time discussion

Coraline: The Motion Picture

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Kaas (robkaas) | 7 comments A little more than a week until the Coraline movie hits (Feb 6th)!

What does everyone think of the footage they've seen so far? And the casting?

The first trailer I saw struck me as sort of odd, because the world seen in the trailer was nothing like I imagined while reading the book.

And John Hodgman as Father/Other Father is a brilliant choice, I think.

message 2: by Rob (new)

Rob Kaas (robkaas) | 7 comments Rolando wrote:
Last week I watched the promo Neil made talking about buttons and it's great.

"

It was very Hitchcock, wasn't it? I loved it.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (sfaltman) I'm really looking forward to seeing it! I'm not very fond of Dakota Fanning, but she's not stopping me from watching it.

message 4: by Larry (new)

Larry (digitalphi) | 1 comments Rob wrote: "The first trailer I saw struck me as sort of odd, because the world seen in the trailer was nothing like I imagined while reading the book. "

I had the same reaction. But I'm already prepping myself to not hold it to the book, movies hardly ever stick to what the book pages have already laid out for them. Plus, I saw a new trailer for it in Inkheart and it ended by saying it was written for film by Henry Selick (Director). It didn't mention or show Neil Gaiman at all. So I'm expecting it to be different. I'm still super excited for it!

OH! Did you guys/gals know that this movie is a stop motion film! I was surprised by that! I saw some images in a magazine of the director and the set they use to record the movie it was amazing.

message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Niziol (sparrowlight) | 2 comments Yes, the trailer (version 2 I believe?) was much more hectic than I'd imagined when reading the book. It seemed frenzied in some way (during the parts when Coraline first discovers the other world). Still, I trust Neil to guide the project and I hope for the best.

message 6: by Janepage (new)

Janepage | 4 comments Wow I loved the movie! I wish they would have stuck with them being British though, and maybe not having Dakota Fanning as Coraline :(

message 7: by Elliott (new)

Elliott (wakefuldreamer) Janepage wrote: "Wow I loved the movie! I wish they would have stuck with them being British though, and maybe not having Dakota Fanning as Coraline :("

I took my 9 year old to see this film the first weekend it opened. He had loved the book when I read it to him and was very excited about the film coming out, especially since it was in 3-D. We both thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It didn't really bother me that they moved the setting from England to Portland. I thought all of the voices were terrific, particularly Ian Mcshane and, to my surprise, Terri Hatcher. Unlike previous 3-D films I'd seen, this one used the effect to enhance the film instead of merely there for effect (as in the atrocious Monsters Vs. Aliens).

message 8: by Janepage (new)

Janepage | 4 comments I thought Terri Hatcher for Other Mother was the best choice! I think she did a wonderful job and definitely added to the movie!

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I loved the movie! I thought it was creepy as hell but then again so was the book! I took a friend with me to see Coraline in the theater when it first came out. It was her first Gaiman experience and I have to say that I think she was impressed.

message 10: by Molly (new)

Molly Lovelady (penguintraveler) | 15 comments Isn't there anyone else who hated the movie?? D: I did not like it at all :(

message 11: by Molly (new)

Molly Lovelady (penguintraveler) | 15 comments We can at least all agree that Stardust sucked right?

message 12: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 3 comments Molly wrote: "We can at least all agree that Stardust sucked right?"

I don,t think the movie sucked

message 13: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 8 comments I don't think the Stardust movie sucked either. It's different to the book, different enough to have to be considered on its own merits, but a lot of the differences are to make it work on the screen. Which I think it does -- it's one of my comfort movies.

message 14: by T.L. (new)

T.L. | 6 comments I've not seen the film (yet). And as the adage goes, "Don't judge a book by it's movie." Having said that, books and film are two very different media. With a book, you can take as long as you like setting up scenes and situations, for pages and pages, or even over several chapters. With a film, they've got 2 hours, maybe more than that and not always that long (reason being, if a film is over 2 hours long, a theatre can't show it as many times in a day, so that means less butts in seats and that means less $$). Anyway - a film has less time to devote to some things and as such isn't going to be able to include every last nuance the author employed. Knowing this has helped not to get irritated over what's left out/included in say, the Dexter or True Blood TV shows - the shows to me are extensions of the books. So far I've not been disappointed. I use the same outlook with books to film and hope for the best (at least with on going, week-to-week TV shows they can get a little more detail in there.)

message 15: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Meiswinkel | 3 comments I loved the Coraline movie. There were some changes from the book but I think it worked 100% because of the amazing visuals that Selick provides. It was a beautiful visually and I like how it kept the creepiness of the book intact. Plus, the music was awesome.

message 16: by Malu (new)

Malu Vargas (MaluBVargas) | 3 comments I couldn't agree more. I'm a huge fan of Coraline.

message 17: by annie (new)

annie  k (rawannie) I preferred the book to the movie.

I love the animation but thought the changes to the characters/story were unnecessary.

My Boys also read the book before watching the movie but thought the movie was "great" :)

message 18: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 4 comments I just saw the movie and I really enjoyed it! Yeah, there were some changes to the movie from the original novel (Coraline having a friend named Wybie), but the movie still kept to the original spirit of the novel and I really appreciate the movie for doing that. I also loved the stop motion animation for the movie as it really fit the mood of the story very well.

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert Garland (rdgarland) I saw the movie before reading the book and, as much as I hate to admit it, I liked the movie better. That rarely happens to me. Don't get me wrong, I loved the book, but the movie blew me away! I'm a huge fan of the Burton-esque style of animation and loved the visual presentation of the story sooo much! It has become a Halloween staple at my house. We've watched it every year since it came out. It's so cute and creepy! I love it!

message 20: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 4 comments Robert wrote: "I saw the movie before reading the book and, as much as I hate to admit it, I liked the movie better. That rarely happens to me. Don't get me wrong, I loved the book, but the movie blew me away! ..."

I loved watching the movie too! I loved the surreal imagery in that movie and I think that it fit the tone of the book very well!