Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Dramas > Seeing the Nominees

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:49AM) (new)

Jo (jolelak) | 32 comments I try to see all the nominated films, at least best picture nominees before the Oscars. Some years I will have already seen them, others I am spending February playing catch up. I have seen Benjiman Button, Slumdog Millionaire, and Frost/Nixon. The Reader and Milk aren't playing here yet, but should before the awards air. I'd also like to see Doubt and Revolutionary Road. Anyone else working on seeing all the nominees?

message 2: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments when do the nominees come on?

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments Nope, I'm not going to see the nominees that I haven't already seen. Just no interest in THE READER or FROST/NIXON. I saw the play FROST/NIXON and was impressed with Langella's performance, but I'm just not terribly interested in sitting through it again. I mean, what's Ron Howard going to add to that material to make it worth the time? There are other things I'm more interested in shelling out NYC movie-ticket prices to see.

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo (jolelak) | 32 comments I don't blame you with ticket prices. I am in Iowa. If I hit the matinee, it is $6.50, and I smuggle my own snacks and drink. (Although tempted, I don't sneak into a second one for free at the multiplex, Catholic upbringing is still entrenched.) I am curious, with the play, is it just Frost and Nixon recreating the interview, or do you get all the background stuff? There is quite a bit of it in the film. I am always curious with adaptations. I thought Langella was incredible, the very embodiment of Nixon.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments The play FROST/NIXON had all the background stuff, too. I understand the film follows the play pretty closely. Langella was terrific. I remember a couple of remarkable things he did, most particularly that late-night phone call he makes to Frost: Langella was all the way upstage, all by himself, you couldn't really see him but you could hear it all, the rage, the hate, the challenge. He was really something.

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10492 comments i've seen pretty much everything but frost/nixon and the reader. i don't see things just because the academy applauds a film - i don't tend to appreciate their choices. i haven't even looked to see the nominations list. but revolutionary road was certainly worth your while, as was milk. i wasn't so crazy about doubt and slumdog - there were some nice things about both, but it's strange they are being nominated...well, maybe not wholly strange. again, i never agree with their choices. i have no interest in the strange case of benjamin buttons, even if tilda swinton and cate blanchett (two great actresses) are in it.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo (jolelak) | 32 comments I didn't like Benjamin Button at all. It was very pretty to look at, but didn't impress me. I liked Slumdog, but wasn't blown away by any means. It was more escapist to me. Frost/Nixon had great performances, especially Langella. And it made me want to know more about the real interviews, I was very young when Watergate went down. If a movie has me thinking about it for days afterward, it is a good thing.

Overall, I like to see what the Academy has nominated, mostly to find those movies I may look past. I know in the past I may have skipped some that became an incredible moviegoing experience.

message 8: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments no i asked when r they coming on?

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo (jolelak) | 32 comments They announced the nominees last Thursday. The awards are February 22nd.

message 10: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments oh gotch ya

message 11: by Alex DeLarge (last edited Jan 26, 2009 06:37PM) (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I just watched GOMMORA last night...why wasn't it nominated for Foreign Film? And MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS was a mediocrity but the cinematography was outstanding, should be nominated in that catagory, which I would rate above SLUMDOG...and Boyle's film is beautifully shot! And I just shy away from Ron Howard sentimentality so I'll skip FROST/NIXON. I'm still pissed that Tony Leung wasn't even nominated last year for LUST CAUTION.

message 12: by Phillip (last edited Jan 26, 2009 06:53PM) (new)

Phillip | 10492 comments tony is great in lust caution. i haven't seen gommora yet - my italian friend who was visiting recently recommended it...with a condition or two...

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments I see most of the nominees as a matter of course. Just means I'll like some of the Oscar choices and not others, same as usual. :)

The foreign language category remains screwed up. "Gomorrah" didn't make the final cut of candidates that nominators had to see to vote on the category. One of the best films of the year, "Let the Right One In," couldn't even be considered because countries are only allowed to select one film for consideration, and Sweden picked something else.

The Oscars are fun, but they are no more a final judge on movies than critics groups or, for that matter, individual critics.

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10492 comments really? each country gets to say which film they want to have considered for nomination? i had no idea. it just makes sense that the academy would choose based on what they saw...

message 15: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments The rules changed several years ago. Each country gets to pick one candidate. I think what happens is that a slate of potential nominees is selected by a special jury. Then anyone can vote to nominate off that slate provided they see all of the films (and that would be special Academy screenings). If someone has more up to date information, they may have tweaked it.

But there have been some great foreign films, like "Europa, Europa," which could not get nominated because there was no "host country" putting it forward. ("Europa, Europa" is a great film by a Polish director, shot in Germany IIRC, and with French money. None of the countries wanted to claim it for their own.)

message 16: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10492 comments that's interesting and politicizes the whole thing in a way i didn't anticipate.

i just assumed the academy received those dvds with "for your consideration" on it and made their own decisions...

message 17: by Holli (new)

Holli I saw Revolutionary Road and Benjamin Button and enjoyed both...RR more than BB.

I do want to see Milk and The Reader but haven't been all that interested in seeing Slumdog Millionaire despite the constant prodding from others who think its fantastic.