Relaxing Fun discussion

book discussions > Least Favorite Book

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessicaafrank) | 257 comments Mod
What is the book(s) you like the least?

message 2: by Rhonda (last edited Jan 27, 2009 09:33AM) (new)

Rhonda (rhondak) I have a problem with anything Melville wrote and I have honestly tried to read them all. I become frustrated after a few pages of inaction and want to give up. Of course, when forced I read them, but it's not a pleasant task.
Also L. Ron Hubbard has to be one of the most vile writers who has ever written. His books are filled with half-truths and complete lies. In his defense, he wrote interesting but mediocre science fiction before he moved on to bad religion.
I have avoided disparaging a popular vampire book because I am tired of the discussion.

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie The only book I have ever been unable to get through was We Need To Talk About Kevin. I dont know why but I just couldnt get into it at all.

Also Heart of Darkness....I had to study it in school and I really hated it at the time!

message 4: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondak) Ellie wrote: "The only book I have ever been unable to get through was We Need To Talk About Kevin. I dont know why but I just couldnt get into it at all.

Also Heart of Darkness....I had to study it in school a..."

I had a hard time with Conrad and I think everyone did, as I indicated in my review of HoD. I once wrote a short story in a similar dark kind of brooding style.

message 5: by Sarahcorn (new)

Sarahcorn (the-meowing-unicorn) | 14 comments I found the Tales of Huckleberry Fin to be absolutely horrid!

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Well thats the thing I cant understand with Conrad.....I usually like dark stuff but somehow I just cant get on with him! I dont know what it is.....

Also I remembered last night....Emma. I love Austen and have read all her books some several times, but somehow I just dont like Emma herself to the point where I cant enjoy the book!

message 7: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondak) Sarah wrote: "I found the Tales of Huckleberry Fin to be absolutely horrid!"

I gather this is a selection from the book rather than the whole book with a slightly different name. Perhaps you could explain why you didn't like it.
One of the greatest criticisms of Twain, which I believe is invalid, is that his beliefs about race are essentially Huck's.

message 8: by Sarahcorn (new)

Sarahcorn (the-meowing-unicorn) | 14 comments I just had trouble understanding it and I, to this day, don't know the point of the book!

message 9: by Cat (new)

Cat | 2 comments Did you read the full adventures or just parts because the book as a whole is about Huck Finn who runs away in search of adventure joined by the slave Jim who is running away from his master in search of freedom. The two travel down the river together and meet all sorts of interesting people along the way.
I.must say that HF is one of my favourite books.

my least favourite is Twilight... I pride myself on the fact that whenever I start a book I always finish it... I just could not finish Twilight... I got 3/4 of the way through before I couldn't go on.... Not only do I find the characters and plot weak but I really find the writing to be relatively poor.

message 10: by C. (new)

C. (placematsgalore) Paullina Simons! I hate her. I somehow forced myself through Tully, and then I started The Bronze Horseman and only got a few pages into it because it was so bad.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

If I say Twilight will anyone kill me? She, I believe, can't write dialouge at all. I mean, come on Stephanie, maybe you should spend more time developing your charecters and introducing them better. Everyone should have known from the begining that none of the charecters were going to die. Bella can't, she's the narrator; Edward can't, he has NO flaws whatsoever; and the family wasn't introduced well enough, so who CARES if they DO die!

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat | 2 comments Bells wrote: "If I say Twilight will anyone kill me? She, I believe, can't write dialouge at all. I mean, come on Stephanie, maybe you should spend more time developing your charecters and introducing them bet..."

THANK YOU!!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!!!!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Cat wrote: "THANK YOU!!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!!!!"

actually I stole that stuff from F*** Twilight, a vid on youtube. But I agree with it completely. Please don't anyone who is "absolutely, like, in LOVE" with Twilight kill us.

message 14: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 6 comments Bells wrote: " Cat wrote: "THANK YOU!!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!!!!"

actually I stole that stuff from F*** Twilight, a vid on youtube. But I agree with it completely. Please don't anyone who is "abs..."

Hey Bells, don't worry! hahaa i liked the book Twilight. I think is pretty good, but this i-love-twilight-forever-worship thing is killing me... I mean, come on!!! It's not the best novel ever.

Anyways, I have to say that one of the worst books i have ever read is Veronika decides to die... I'm sorry Coehlo lovers! but it was sooo boring.