Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Psy-Changeling series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 9 comments I read Nalini Singh's first Psy-Changeling book "Slave to Sensation" recently, but I couldn't find book 2 in my used book store. However I did find book 4.
Just wondering for those who have read it, would you recommend reading the series in order? Will I miss some plot points or important character development by skipping ahead?
Thanks!

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Lesley, I would definitely recommend reading them in order. It's not just that some characters reappear in later books, but there's actually an overarching political plot that builds and reveals itself with each book, so I would recommend reading in order.

message 3: by Gems (new)

Gems (zadien) | 134 comments I'm going to post here because let's face it, the sixth book has come out and I want to know what people thought about it. This is possibly one of the best PNR series I've come across plus it doesn't involve Vampires which to be honest, are becoming a big fat cliche in PNR.

So have you read the sixth book Branded by Fire and if so, what are your thoughts?

And yes, reading in order is kind of essential.

message 4: by Willow (new)

Willow Brook | 47 comments I also recommend reading them in order though I started at books 3 and 4 before getting to 1 and 2. I fell in love with the series and didn't feel lost so it is do-able out of order but I think the experience will be enhanced if you go in order.

Gems, I only had 2 hours to read last night and half of that time I was dead tired, but I'm liking it lots so far. Tonight I think I can devote to reading (fingers crossed).

message 5: by Gems (new)

Gems (zadien) | 134 comments Yeah it's nice to know the characters when they're mentioned, because you feel more of a link to them. Oh hurry up Willow, I'm dying to talk about it, lol.

Only kidding. Take your time, the story line is kind of convulated. I might have to reread it again to catch up on the finer details.

message 6: by Willow (new)

Willow Brook | 47 comments Gems wrote: Only kidding. Take your time, the story line is kind of convulated. I might have to reread it again to catch up on the finer details."

That's why I stopped reading and went to bed. I was starting to not remember what I had just read and that is such a waste of a good book! I'm impatiently waiting for a workman to show up right now, then heading to the office(so I can pay for workmen who show up in their own good time and books) but tonight I plan to dive in.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 371 comments Gems wrote: "I'm going to post here because let's face it, the sixth book has come out and I want to know what people thought about it. This is possibly one of the best PNR series I've come across plus it doesn..."

I loved it! It's became my favourite one so far. It's opened up a lot of possibilities too

message 8: by Gems (new)

Gems (zadien) | 134 comments Yeah, this series has a lot going for it which is kind of why I keep expecting to end up disappointed *touch wood I won't be* because a lot of long running series begin to lose something after all but this story is just going from strength to strength.

message 9: by Willow (new)

Willow Brook | 47 comments This is definitely my favorite PNR series. I think Singh is a fantatic writer -- wonderful world building, complex characters, great plot, good suspense and hot, intense relationships. She has it all.

message 10: by Gems (new)

Gems (zadien) | 134 comments It's really hard to find a writer who has that appeal - where you get to know the characters so well that you feel part of the world.

I don't know why she's not mentioned so much in these forums. Everyone talks about BDB but I don't really get the appeal. Tried reading it and it just failed to capture my attention... maybe I'm too fussy.

message 11: by Willow (new)

Willow Brook | 47 comments I've only read the first BDB. Not a convert yet. I really like some aspects of it and not crazy about others, but I plan to read the next book at least.

Now the Psy Changeling series sucked me in almost immediately and I devoured the four books that were out at that time. And Singh's first Angel book was excellent even though I had almost zero interest in reading it and if it had been any other author I would not have bothered.

I have a friend who insisted that she hated paranormal books. I had to coax her to give Slave to Sensation a chance. She very reluctantly agreed. While reading the second book, she called me to tell me in an almost dreamy voice how much she loved the "cat books" and how many more were there and wow, did she mention how much she loved the cat books? LOL.

message 12: by Gems (new)

Gems (zadien) | 134 comments Lol! Don't you love that when you get someone who would never really read stuff like that hooked?

Yeah when I first read Slave to Sensation, I wasn't expecting to be impressed but I was looking for a few books and so I got it. When I finished reading my other stuff, I finally got round to reading it and was all but vibrating to read the next few. So I bought them and two other books - Meljean Brook and Christine Feehand... they were such let downs in comparison to the Singh books and it really brought it home to me how good Singh was in comparison.

So then I waited for the next books and just bought everything PNR that had her name to it. I was kind of tepid about the angel thing because while the excerpt was good, I was leery about angels in general (read Faith Hunter, wasn't impressed) but after I got Angels Blood I was on her website looking for when the next books would be out, lol. I just loved the finale and the ambrosia stuff, but the Psy/Changeling series remains my firm favorites because it has everything I want - Alpha male, strong females, great and witty dialogue, a PLOT (i hate how most books just revolve around finding a rogue vampire and sex) and the characters, I just can't get over how well they are developed and the sexual tension, she's a master at creating it. Usually for me, once the main characters have sex, the romance seems to go flat but never with Singh. It just becomes more.

message 13: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 253 comments Very glad to hear this series is so good! I've had it on my list to read for awhile, might need to move it up the list. I'm currently sucked into Anita Blake and BDB, so many books, so little time LOL

message 14: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments LOL. Gems, it was sort of the opposite for me. I decided to read the rest of the series after reading the first BDB, while Slave to Sensation made me put off reading Singh for a long time. For me, the romance was a little mild/subdued. IMO, the first books for both these series are weaker than the rest. I'm glad I decided to give Singh's books another chance though. :) Series are always better when the author has a plan.

message 15: by Willow (new)

Willow Brook | 47 comments Gems wrote: "but after I got Angels Blood I was on her website looking for when the next books would be out, lol. I just loved the finale and the ambrosia stuff, but the Psy/Changeling series remains my firm favorites because it has everything I want"

I am completely with you, right down to checking when the next darn Angel book was coming out! In addition to not being interested in the 1st Person, more UF type story of Angel's Blood, I bitterly (well, not quite, but almost ) resented Singh's attention being diverted. The best face I could put on it was if that is what she needed to do to keep turning out great Psy-Changeling books, I could live with it. Then I end up loving Angel's Blood (curse the woman LOL) and want to read more! But even so, if she never went back to the Angels/Vampires and just stuck to the "cat books," I'd be thrilled.

message 16: by Gems (new)

Gems (zadien) | 134 comments Yeah but that may be because we haven't had a chance to be as emmersed in the Angel Guild yet. If we just read Slave to Sensation, it probably wouldn't have made a big impact on us but because we could read about Vaughn and hear about the Sentinels and Hawke we began to want to read more. I just haven't had a chance to get to know the vampires as well yet. Though Ash and her vamp just being mentioned was pretty intriguing to me - still have to read Angel's Pawn but I'm holding out until I read all the other crap on my computer, saving the best till last, lol.

Also on the 1st person, it's probably because she didn't want us to have much of an insight into Raphael so he could remain more mysterious and Angellic. Though I hope it doesn't go too UF because part of the reason I love Singh is for the equal balance of plot/crime/thriller stuff mixed with the romance that proves they're meant to be together rather than a mating bond telling us they're in love (biggest pet peeve in PNR). Maybe in the second book she'll be able to work more on that aspect of Elena and Raphael - now that they're no longer antagonists.

message 17: by Willow (new)

Willow Brook | 47 comments Gems wrote: "Yeah but that may be because we haven't had a chance to be as emmersed in the Angel Guild yet. If we just read Slave to Sensation, it probably wouldn't have made a big impact on us but because we ccould read about Vaughn and hear about the Sentinels and Hawke we began to want to read more. "

I actually started with Mine to Possess since that was the first of the series that was available on the Kindle. So I was plopped right down in the middle of the Psy-Changeling world and totally sucked in, instantly wanting the rest of the series. Next I read Book 4 which was also on Kindle, before reading Books 1 & 2 in paper version. But you're right, I had 4 books I could read in quick succession, if somewhat out of order.

And, yes, maybe we will love the Angel Guild series as much some day. Singh is a good enough writer to accomplish such a feat.

message 18: by Gems (new)

Gems (zadien) | 134 comments She will. She has this tendency to make you care about everyone. I even feel a little for Nikita Duncan... not a lot mind you but I care sorta (care more about Sascha should anything happen to Nikita but that's still kind of caring.)

Though at the moment all the angels bar Raphael and that guy who's name I can't remember but who had a soul mate strike me as very cold people. I'm more intrigued by Raphael's guards, especially he of the blue feathers, Illium or Bluebell, lol.

message 19: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) | 160 comments I know I said this somewhere else but...

Soon after reading the first book I saw something on a study done on emotions. Apparently, common sense and decision making is based on emotional conditioning and those who have no emotions can't function on their own.

That aside, I love this series, it's so smart and fresh.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) I just finished the first 2 books in this series--pretty good. Where do these authors come up with this stuff?

message 21: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Don't stop now! You've gotten to the best book!

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) new_user wrote: "Don't stop now! You've gotten to the best book! "

i just got a notice that Caressed By Ice is in at the library. After I read the 4th Cat and Bones book, I will read that one. Which book is "the best"?

message 23: by Gems (new)

Gems (zadien) | 134 comments I think it's generally considered that Caressed by Ice is the best book - generally because there's just a lot of tension in that book and it's the one I would constantly find myself running back to however, I can't really say any book is better than the others because I'm pretty pleased with all of them - still Judd has a little something something and of course, the newest book is very hot too. Gotta love Mercy!

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Yup, I would say Caressed by Ice is the best.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I've only gotten as far as Caressed by Ice, and I've loved them all so much that I can't decide on a favorite just yet. This series is so much fun to read. I think book book 7 comes out in November, and I can't wait.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) Michelle wrote: "I've only gotten as far as Caressed by Ice, and I've loved them all so much that I can't decide on a favorite just yet. This series is so much fun to read. I think book book 7 comes out in Novemb..."

yeah, i looked it up and it comes out November 3 Blaze of Memory. it is confusing b/c they count the short stories as books so technically it is story # 9 in the psy-changling series. that threw me for a loop as I was trying to figure out what to read.

message 27: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I fixed that. On GR, short stories are supposed to be counted as .5.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) thanks--how did you fix that?

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) oh--i looked at your profile and it look like you are a GR librarian. i dont know what that means but I have a sneaky suspicion that you have special privileges
that others don't have...

message 30: by new_user (last edited Sep 22, 2009 05:43PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments LOL, Cherra. Your suspicions are correct, but it's not hard to become one if you're interested. Linky.

message 31: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 30 comments This series just gets better and better, I really think her writing improves and the plot gets better through the books. The first one was just way too sci for me, I was so confused with the psy world and the heat between the characters wasn't that real to me. Plus she stopped giving them long pony tails - wasn't into that :)

But now....I love this world! She creates the HOTTEST men - they are protectors, sexy, strong, funny, and caring. I really liked Clay and Talin's story, even though she was just a human, I loved the back story with it. Dorian's story was also really good too, he was just so charasmatic and sexy. I liked Mercy's story too and think she balanced her and Riley's perspectives really well (I like them all!) but I do have to say her formula is getting a little old and I'd like to see her mix it up a little, which may be her plan with Hawke, Kit, and Sienna. Although I can't tell if this is the next book?

I really love the animalistic-ness (ya I made that word up)- I find it hot when they can smell each other's excitement because there's no hiding when they're turned on! Think how embarassing in real life that would be! But in a way it would be good because ther'd be a lot less games to play.

message 32: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I agree that the first book didn't have that much heat. I just love the plot going on with the Psy and Kaleb and that bunch. Also agree about the animal-ness, LOL. Shifters have their charms, don't they? ;)

message 33: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 179 comments I just ordered the first book in this series and am looking forward to reading it. Just wish I could get rid of this headache...I would get alot more read.

message 34: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) Love this series--picked up Slave to Sensation for October's challenge as I needed a pink book and now am waiting forever for Blaze of Memory to come in at the library.

I really like BDB, but I like this series even more. Sometimes I find JR Ward's writing to be a tad bit cheesy, I find Singh writes men--especially their interaction with each other--just a little more believably.

And the arching storyline in the Singh books leaves Ward's boring lesser storyline in the dust. If she's taking the BDB books in more of a UF than PNR direction, she better make that storyline a little more interesting. Singh's psy-silence-council stuff is great.

And my faves are Caressed by Ice and Burned by Fire, I guess I like them better when the woman isn't a Psy. :) If I had to pick a fave female psy couple, I think it would be Dorian & Ashaya.

message 35: by Gems (new)

Gems (zadien) | 134 comments I just read the newest book!! It was good - what I love about the series is that the bad guys aren't evil, just messed up. There's no black and white in this story. Some of the Psy are good, some of them are grey and others are just black. You really can't say who is doing what. Even the humans aren't to be trusted and we haven't seen enough of the Changelings yet to know if all of them are as nice as the ones we've met.

That's why I think it's better than BDB. The men just go out, kill a few powder scented grunts and that's it but the political intrigue of the Psy is so much more. Though, the climax revolving around how they get a psy out of the net is going to get repetitive I feel, which is worrying. Oh and the Angel chapter looks really good - I'm just loving the interaction with Elena and Raphael because it's not the whole: "I love you darling woman and I will protect you and be your devoted servant." ICK!

Caressed by Ice is still my firm favorite and the Judd scenes in the new book were excellent - I love that I never feel like I'm reading the story for anyone else in it (re: JM in BDB) and instead if there are extras, it's just a bonus. Also I never skip the psy, they're too interesting to miss anything. Who knows what Nikita and Caleb are planning.

message 36: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I love the political intrigue! That's almost the best part. Judd was my fave too. Now Dev is.

message 37: by DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (last edited Nov 24, 2009 10:35AM) (new)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments Just thought I'd share a couple of the recently revealed British covers, as they've convinced me to finally start this series when they're released in the spring (I'm sorry, but the US covers are horrible).

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh Caressed by Ice The Psy-Changeling Series by Nalini Singh

message 38: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments DarkHeart wrote: "Just thought I'd share a couple of the recently revealed British covers, as they've convinced me to finally start this series when they're released in the spring (I'm sorry, but the US covers are h..."

Those covers are sooooo much better than the US ones! Gosh, even the newest one Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh has the most bleh cover. The guy is not attractive at all.

message 39: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments LOL. I don't blame you, DarkHeart. The cover put me off for a while too.

message 40: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) OMG, those covers are soooooo much better!

The Romance Reviews (Carole) (The_Romance_Reviews) | 37 comments I just read Bonds of Justice (Psy-Changeling, #8) by Nalini Singh and it's my first Nalini Singh book, and guess what!!!

I was blown away! Totally. Loved this book and this world.

I did enjoy the story even if it's my first book in the series, and I did understand the political overtones, so I think first time readers can jump in to here if they want. (just my .02. not meaning to offend anyone)

However, to get the full flavor and build up of the series, then, yes, it would be best to read in order and to start from Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh , which I'll be doing!

Carole
The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews (Carole) (The_Romance_Reviews) | 37 comments new_user wrote: "LOL. I don't blame you, DarkHeart. The cover put me off for a while too."

Yes, the covers are not so...appealing. I wish she'd get better covers, since her books are so awesome! Well, book, that is, since I've only read Bonds of Justice.

Carole
The Romance Reviews

message 43: by new_user (last edited Aug 26, 2010 11:46PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Actually, she did get new covers for the UK editions! They're cool. Check 'em out:
Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2) by Nalini Singh Caressed by Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3) by Nalini Singh

message 44: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morganannie) The UK covers are WORLDS better than the US covers.

message 45: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) I think so too.

message 46: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Ok, I want THOSE covers rather than the U.S. ones. But, since I have them on my Nook--it doesn't really matter, right? :o)

The Romance Reviews (Carole) (The_Romance_Reviews) | 37 comments I still think she should have better covers. Some books have so nice covers but the story's only so-so... There is no justice in this world.

message 48: by Morgan (last edited Sep 13, 2010 01:15PM) (new)

Morgan (morganannie) So far, Caressed By Ice is my favorite as well. Mmmmmm Judd. Right now I am reading Blaze of Memory. I'm not too far in but it is seeming pretty good as well.

I can't wait to find out what happens with Hawke.

message 49: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Dev bumped Judd from first place after Blaze of Memory for me.

message 50: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morganannie) I'll probably finish Bonds of Justice (Psy-Changeling, #8) by Nalini Singh today or tomorrow. Now I can't wait for Play of Passion (Psy-Changeling #9) by Nalini Singh !!

« previous 1