the NEW philadelphia goodreader's group discussion

general stuff > Used Book Stores

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana (new)

Dana | 11 comments Anyone have a favorite they can recommend??

message 2: by Jody (new)

Jody | 4 comments the last word bookshop at 220 S 40th st (by the bridge theater) is my favorites! other good ones are the book trader @ 7 N 2nd st. and big jar @ 44 N 2nd st. yelp.com is a great resource to look up businesses like used bookstores in philly and read reviews by people who love to read!

message 3: by Dana (new)

Dana | 11 comments Thanks :)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 40 comments ooh definitely have to check those out.

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Luttrell | 1 comments In Chester County, there's Baldwin's Book Barn (on Rt. 52, a few miles south of West Chester). It's a 19th Century barn divided into 5 stories, and I've found some absolutely amazing things there. The only caveats: they're a bit pricey, and if you're tall, you're in frequent danger of giving yourself a concussion from low ceilings. Those are minor complaints, though; I go there as often as I can.

message 6: by Steve (last edited Apr 06, 2009 05:00PM) (new)

Steve (yamanevets) | 2 comments Have you tried Walter Amos? It's in Morgantown, right off the turnpike (kinda a schlep, but worth it). I also love Baldwin's Book Barn.

message 7: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk Paperback Trader in Blue Bell on 202.

I second Baldwins Book Barn, which has everything from books for a quarter to rare books!

I've also been noticing that more and more of the public libraries have displays of books for sale. Not only are you getting a book at a good price, you're supporting the library system!

message 8: by Brandy (new)

Brandy  (scrappydew) in my quest to find a decent used book store near lansdale i'll have to check out the paperback trader.

I've also seen a place called Archive, listed in lansdale proper and the lansdale library (only the first weekend of the month) and north wales libraries both run used book sales.

anyone else have suggetions for places?

message 9: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk I went to high school with the fellow who runs the Archive. Check it out.

message 10: by Brandy (new)

Brandy  (scrappydew) Thanks! i'll make it a point to get over to that one.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 5 comments There's a cute little used book store in downtown Doylestown called Central Books - they have a great selection at low prices. Here's a link to their site: http://www.doylestownusedbooks.com/si...

message 12: by Jobiska (Cindy) (new)

Jobiska (Cindy) (jobiska) | 2 comments I know the owners of Bookhaven near 22nd and Fairmount in the Art Museum area, but I'd recommend it even if I didn't know it. Molly's Books and Records (I think is its current name?) in the Italian Market is always worth popping into. The Spiral Bookcase in Manayunk I've only been to once, but really liked.

message 13: by Brandy (new)

Brandy  (scrappydew) Thanks for the link Jackie!

message 14: by Brandy (new)

Brandy  (scrappydew) Harvest book outlet in Fort Washington was a great store i visited today. I wanted to check out the archive in lansdale, but they are closed monday. However, the all books are $2 at harvest and they have a good variety organized well.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Schultz | 4 comments Walk a Crooked Mile Books in East Mt Airy @ the Mt. Airy train station

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

The best used bookstore in Philly hands down in my opinion is: http:www.brickbatbooks.blogspot.com

They are in Queens Village.

message 17: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyk8) | 4 comments Harvest Book Company has the best prices at $2/book. I go about once a month to check out anything new that has come in.