Women Who Love Books Too Much discussion

Any Writers?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Are there any writers in this group?

I'm a writer :). I actually had my very first book published. It is called "My Written Thoughts" . It is a compilation of poems I wrote over a period of 4 and 1/2 years.

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice Gold (alicewgold) I think that everyone has a writer inside. Some of us just really want to be a writer, unlike others who cosider themselves published writers and others who just have the capability to write, but don't care for the artform.

I write, but do not consider myself a writer. I don't know what will make me a writer. I don't think it has anything to do with being published, but that may help.? I hope that at some point in my life, I will be confident enough in my writing to call myself a writer. That will truly be a lifelong ambition come true.

Does any writer out there have any suggestions in how to become a true writer?

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 48 comments Mod
i saw that you are a writer, ashley, and wondered about your book. it is so fun that you are a poet.
i have a daughter-in-love who is a poet. her work always astounds and impresses me. she is, alas, not published. but she may not have ever tried to be published. i gave her a copy of Sylvia Plath's poems which she ate with a splash of milk and bourbon chaser.
I have written a dissertation. does this make me a writer? probably not. oh well ...

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Being published does not make you a writer. If you write poems, anectdotes, stories, true stories, etc., you are a writer. I don't think there is such a thing as a "true writer". Anyone can be a writer...i think its a matter of if that person percieves themselves as a writer or not.

To answer your question Cathy. My book doesn't have any specific themes. It is just random poems. If you are interested in purchasing my book, you can do so at www.amazon.com or www.publishamerica.com or Barnes and Noble's website. Tell your daughter-in-love to check out www.publishamerica.com. this is my publisher and they do not charge you anything. They want her work not her money. Hope this helps.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Alice and everyone, here's a quote for you (I forgot where it is from, and I'm sad about that): "The real writer is one who really writes."

I'm glad to hear that there's published writers among us here. I'm trying to get my novel published when I finish that (it's an infinity project right now... heh) but in Finland it's pretty hard to get stuff published.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne Ullah Hi. I'm new to the site and have joined as both a reader and a writer as I love both! I write for a comedy website and have just published my first novel, Trouble At Toff Towers, to Amazon Kindle. Busy now planning the sequel. Looking forward to getting to know all of you and hearing your thoughts on books you have read.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Smith (sarahjosmithauthor) | 1 comments Hi everyone. I'm a new member and a writer. I love poetry and your book sounds wonderful, Ashley. My women's fiction novel THE OTHER SIDE OF HEARTACHE was just published on Amazon Kindle e-books. I'm currently re-reading Penmarric by one of my favorite authors, Susan Howatch. Has anyone read this novel?

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne Ullah I read Penmarric years ago Sarah. Now you've mentioned it you've tempted me to re-read it too!

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Levitt | 3 comments Alice wrote: "I think that everyone has a writer inside. Some of us just really want to be a writer, unlike others who cosider themselves published writers and others who just have the capability to write, but d..."

Alice: Love the question, because I've asked it so many times. I'm self published (AT THE CORNER OF WALL AND SESAME, if you're curious :-). Getting the novel into print wasn't enough to put me over the hurdle of calling myself a writer.

Two things finally did it for me... first was a nasty case of writers block, and realizing that even though I wasn't putting anything down on paper, I was still talking about my next work. The second was telling other people that I was a writer. After a few times hearing it out loud, it didn't seem so hard to take credit for it.

No matter what you write and what you call yourself, the process is a journey of discovery. Enjoy the ride!

message 10: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Wend, I'm not a writer. I would like to write my autobiography, but I' m don't think I have the skills to do write it by myself ! What do you or anyone else in the group suggest I do?

message 11: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Levitt | 3 comments Carmen:

Not to sound cliché, but you never know until you try! If it helps, I wrote AT THE CORNER six times before it was finally something I was happy with. And from what I hear, my story is common. Supposedly a lot of Dr. Seuss's first drafts were practically X-rated. According to the story, he knew that his first draft would have nothing to do with his final story, so he figured he might as well have fun with it.

To get started, see if there's a writing class offered through Continuing Ed at your local high school/community college/college. You'll know by the course description if it is right for you.

If that doesn't work for you, try hiring a ghost writer. You can google them.

Hope this helps.

Wendy

message 12: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Thanks, Wendy for the information! I truly appreciate your input. :)

message 13: by Lara (new)

Lara Mondoux (LaraMondoux) | 2 comments Hi Ashley! Congrats on publishing your book of poetry. I just checked it out on Amazon and firstly, I LOVE the cover. Secondly, will it be available in eBook format?

I'm a writer also, just published my first fiction book, What Love Looks Like. It's a contemporary romance/women's fiction story. Indie publishing is quite an experience.

Best of luck to you with your new adventure!

message 14: by Lara (new)

Lara Mondoux (LaraMondoux) | 2 comments Carmen, I'd suggest starting with a good old fashioned outline. Break your life down into different chapters and then fill in the content. Self publishing is easy and inexpensive. If the work is good, then people will want to read it! I think you should give it a try.
Carmen wrote: "Wend, I'm not a writer. I would like to write my autobiography, but I' m don't think I have the skills to do write it by myself ! What do you or anyone else in the group suggest I do?"

Wendy wrote: "Alice wrote: "I think that everyone has a writer inside. Some of us just really want to be a writer, unlike others who cosider themselves published writers and others who just have the capability t..."

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda Ruth Horowitz (LindaRuthHorowitz) | 2 comments WISH FOR REVIEWS:

While the Sands Whisper

I am a writer and have just published the novel 'While the Sands Whisper.'

The story: No stranger to challenge, Ayishah, an American-Israeli documentary photographer, embarks on a captivating, but hazardous journey to photograph the Bedouin of Sinai.

Novel available on:

Kindle.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.uk

Barnes and Noble

Smashwords

Kobo Books

Createspace

Book Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXFcFN...

Facebook fan page:
www.facebook.com/whilethesandswhisper

Blog:
www.whilethesandswhisper.blogspot.dk

Official Website:
www.whilethesandswhisper.com

Goodreads:
www.goodreads.com/author/show/7163783...