The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 121 comments My work now monitors internet usage. So I haven't been on Goodreads in DAYS. And now I only have about 5 minutes to check at the moment. So I won't be able to get back on until Tuesday (my day off) while my son is napping.

I MISS IT!!!!

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10025 comments Mod
Nikki, at least you HAVE internet access at work! We arent allowed even THAT privelage!

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Oh I would hate that! The only reason I am able to look at this so much is because of work. I switch screens all the time. I feel for you!!!!

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) You poor thing! I don't know how to get through work without checking GR. LOL. I'm a grade A toggler.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Can you bring a laptop and set it up next to your work computer? :)

message 6: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) ...from your cell phone?

message 7: by Jackie (last edited Jan 26, 2009 08:02AM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) LOL...I like how the members in this group think of work around ways to get on GR. That's when you know it's an addiction. hehehe.

message 8: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) I resemble that remark...

err...

I represent that remark...

um...

ok, I'm hooked!

message 9: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 121 comments I shouldn't complain. I get it that I'm there to work, not to play around with my personal interests. But still...it's not like I spent ALL day on goodreads. I'd read a few comments first thing in the morning, read the cnn headlines, then catch up on various blogs I like to read. Then it was right to work. My boss never complained about my lack of productivity, so I don't think I was a problem.

Still...in this economy it isn't wise to go doing anything at work that could lose me my job!

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I know my work monitors internet usage too and we have gotten emails letting us know that they do. I will sometimes checkout GR during downtime, but I do not have a lot of down time at my job, so I guess it works out for me.

I agree Nikki... with this economy, you should be on your BEST behavior!!

message 11: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) If my boss caught any of us looking at Goodreads, CNN, blogs or anything, there would be hell to pay. Can't even check email. All the screens are monitored by the supervisors - we all need to know what everyone else is doing, but the monitoring is turned off at lunchtime and we can do what we want then. I think that is fair.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

It's hard to be away from GR. Darn OCD! I can empathize with you Nikki!

message 13: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I don't mind when I am not allowed to sue it for personal use at work..it si work. Even now we can use it before work or during lunch but I think I did it only twice before work to write an e-mail and that was like in two minutes done. And once i cheked fast GR. But the moment i get home I immediately come and check it all!!!!

JG (Introverted Reader) We got internet use at work about 6 months ago. We all knew it was monitored, but since no one seemed to care we started slowly spending more and more time on it. All of a sudden we got nailed for it at a staff meeting on Thursday! 20 people had managed to spend something like 200 hours on the internet in one month! Oops! I was the third-worst offender, so I asked my supervisor to just go ahead and revoke my priveleges. I can't get in trouble that way. But what was funny was that our supervisor was like, "Look, I know you guys have downtime. I know you do your job. But when you're killing time between calls, do something that no one else can measure. Read a book or watch tv or something." Bad for the GR addiction, good for the reading time, I guess.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 112 comments it's better that u don't get in trouble for it.

message 16: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments JG wrote: "We got internet use at work about 6 months ago. We all knew it was monitored, but since no one seemed to care we started slowly spending more and more time on it. All of a sudden we got nailed fo..."

But wow, she told you to read a book instead!!! don't let her change her mind!!!!!

JG (Introverted Reader) Oh, she won't. She's a reader herself!

message 18: by Jackie (last edited Jan 31, 2009 08:34AM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) JG, your supervisor is awesome to tell you to go read a book! Wish my boss would says something like that.