Writer's Paradise discussion

Writers H-M > Writings of Lauren '09

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Ok. 250 words a day, starting now.

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) 25.1.09 - check.

message 3: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments GOOD JOB! YOU CAN DO IT!

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) 26.1.09 - check

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) 27.1.09 - check

message 6: by Lauren (last edited Jan 29, 2009 01:10PM) (new)

Lauren (inklings) 28.1.09 -check

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments ------

message 8: by Lauren (last edited Jan 29, 2009 01:06PM) (new)

Lauren (inklings) 29.1.09 -check!

I always envied her writing. She seemed the master of words, prose or poetry. Sometimes her writing was like reading rain drops, a continuous patter of words filling the world. Other times, the words bit the page. Your spirit rallied against the injustices she declared on paper. The she would write something completely different. The writing was long and leisurely. Reading was like plucking strings on a harp, each note reverberating and slowly fading away in a melody of serenity. Anytime she put pen to paper, you knew magic was about to occur. Right before your eyes. She was transported into her own world where the spirits of Shakespeare, Chaucer, Longfellow, Dickens, Dickenson, Whitman, awaited to serve. Or perhaps even their muses were there, those phantoms of inspiration. I’m not sure. Whatever it was, though, she was the fountain of writing...

message 9: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1367 comments great job!!

message 10: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments oh, wow, that's amazing lauren.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Thanks!

message 12: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments seriously, it's really good. :D

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) I was far away from a web connection this past weeked, but I'm back.
Jan. 30- Feb 1. -check!

message 14: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Awesome!

message 15: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 3382 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: Sometimes her writing was like reading rain drops, a continuous patter of words filling the world.

Truly beautiful!

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Our first trip to Italy will stand forever in my mind. It was a time of grand adventure. We would have had far less adventure though if we hadn’t gotten lost every day of vacation for at least half an hour. Our adventure begins with a reminder from our beloved parents that we have to pack tonight since we are leaving for Italy in the morning. This came as a shock to us. We knew that we had been planning our vacation, but having (as young ones often do) a limited concept of time, we thought it was still days, if not weeks away. No, it was the next day we would be leaving. Our house was thrown into a mania. My mom packed suitcases like a whirlwind, and dad would take them outside and fit them into and onto the car. I was old enough to pack myself and help pack others, but it was still midnight before anyone got to sleep.
The next morning came far too soon. I was on sandwich making duty again. I made a list of what everybody wanted, and tried not to gag as I made a ‘bread’ sandwich for my younger sister (it could more accurately be called a condiment sandwich- ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise being the filling) and a soy sauce and pickle sandwich for my middle brother. The other members of the family were far less eccentric in their food choices.
It seemed to take forever, but finally we were all in our red, 12 seater van the family had dubbed “The Big Red One” after the unit my dad was currently assigned to. We prayed for safety on the road, and we were off. We hadn’t even entered the Autobahn when my mom popped in the first Italian language tapes. She had been playing them for us in the house, but now she had a captive audience. For seemingly endless hours I listened to tapes meant for a child half of my ten years. “Ciao, mi amici!” that means, “Hello, my friend!” Cruel and unusual punishment. Mom had drifted off to sleep, awakening only to turn over the tape, leaving her suffering children to fend for themselves. Dad finally put a stop to it. We did not listen to the most annoying tape after that, although the one with songs on it was played many more times.

message 17: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) | 1020 comments Oh, my, Lauren! That is so funny! :) Is it fiction or nonfiction? Because it is pretty close to nonfiction for my family! :) From "My mom packed suitcases like a whirlwind, and dad would take them outside and fit them into and onto the car." to the "sandwich making duty". My brother likes pickle and cheese sandwiches - at least it's a little more appetizing than soy sauce and pickle. :) Red, 12 seater van - check! The listening to of tapes is also common place, though they are not Italian. We did have Spanish ones we use to listen to in the car, though...now I just have to listen to them, but not in the car. :) Just too funny! Great writing too, by the way. =D

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

wow that's torture . . . all the way to italy too . . . lolz

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) thanks, and it is completely nonfiction! This trip actually occured about 8 years ago.

message 20: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) | 1020 comments LOL! Very gripping nonfiction! Are you going to write more?

message 21: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1367 comments O.o

message 22: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) | 1020 comments *wishes she understood what certain smiley faces mean*

message 23: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1367 comments its just a one thats interested and well...i dnt know!

message 24: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Kenzie | 1305 comments Mod
Wow. Do your siblings still eat their sandwiches like so? XD That must have been one lONG car ride.

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Kenzie- No. And I am happy to report that taste for both sandwiches has dissapeared. I for one am happy since I still hold the sandwich maker title. And yes it was a long car ride.

Elaine- I plan to, I just need to make sure I get the facts right. I don't want to mix our first trip up with the other two we made to Italy.

message 26: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Kenzie | 1305 comments Mod
You still have to make them? Ouch. That shtinks.

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Feb 2-3 check

message 28: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments :D good work, Lauren.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Feb 4-5 check.

message 30: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments awesome!

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Feb. 6 check.
A bit of tongue in cheek from me. This sort of thing comes out when I've got writers block.
Procrastination. Waiting until the last minute to do something. Putting off something necessary. Well, I’m rather familiar with it. I know it’s not a good thing. I am working on it, and I’m getting better. Still, the fact that I’m trying to write 250 words right before the time for it expires because I’ve put it off until the last few moments of the day- it speaks for itself. Procrastination has not let loose it’s tight hold on me.
It’s the reason I often find myself staying up past one in the morning desperately trying to complete a homework assignment. It’s why my music teachers were frustrated with me. It’s been a source of contention between my mother and me several times over the years. The worst time was when I put off applying for a scholarship. Mom was really unhappy that day. Considering the cost of a college education she had every right to be, and it was completely my fault. I got the scholarship, but still. It could have been a much more pleasant experience than it was. That’s when I started getting on myself about it.
Fighting procrastination is not an easy thing. Its very nature is to put off doing anything about it. Its times when I’m most frustrated with my failing in this area that I am reminded of a story often told in Sunday sermons. You’ve probably heard of it. Satan and his demons are brainstorming on how to keep people from going to heaven. One demon says that he’ll tell people there is no devil. Satan says no, that won’t work, there is too much evil in the world. The next says that he’ll tell people there is no God, and Satan says no that won’t work either, since too many people believe in heaven, and at least by default, God. The last demon says, I’ll tell people there is heaven and hell, but they have plenty of time to worry about that. For now they can party, the serious stuff can wait until tomorrow. Satan says perfect, and off the demons go. There are slight variations of the story, but you get the general idea.
Procrastination is not a trait I admire in myself. Sure, I want to be laid back. But there’s got to be a happy medium between procrastination and being so incredibly uptight about everything that you can’t ever enjoy anything. The hardest part for me is striking that balance. Honestly, I’m not sure I’ll ever get it right.

message 32: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1367 comments Nice lauren

message 33: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments LOL- Procrastination sucks.

message 34: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1367 comments i know....cmpletely EVIL

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Feb 7-8 check

message 36: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Good job.

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Feb 9-11 check

message 38: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Awesome!

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Feb 12,13, check. 14-missed.

For the next two weeks I'll be doing something a little different. I want to write one poem a day.
And on that note, Feb 15, 16 Check

message 40: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments That sounds really cool.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Feb 17 -check

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Feb 18- check

message 43: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1367 comments NICE!

message 44: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments YAY!

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) ooh boy, it's been busy. 5 tests in 9 days, 3 down 2 to go. yay for education.
But still! I have managed to miss only a couple days...can't remember which, I'll have to look through my book. But I wrote one today.
Feb 24-check

message 46: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Yuck

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) Ok. Like I said, been busy. But I'm getting back into the swing of things!
Spent hours catalogueing (sp, I know) my poems from past years.

message 48: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 3382 comments Mod
Great job Lauren :]