Harry Potter discussion

Characters > Snape or James?!?!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 357 (357 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Aneri (new)

Aneri | 186 comments Who do you think should've married Lily? Snape or James..?

I love Snape..he really deserved her
"The Great Snape Debate" by Orson Scott Card really made me change my mind about him.
I think Snape and Lily are better off than James and Lily.

message 2: by Leah (new)

Leah | 12 comments Definitely James because then harry wouldn't have been born, and why did Snape deserve her any more than James? He really loved her too, but she loved him back

message 3: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments i dunno who i want to have married lily, i guess i like how the books played out as-is, but snape was in my mind faaaarrr better than james in pretty much every other aspect... one of my fav characters, after sirius....

message 4: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 47 comments I would probably Snape cause I wouldnt want to die trying to protect my baby, but then I would wanna be married to James

message 5: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments hahahaha, ariel- vey nice pic hahaha...

message 6: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 47 comments thanks love the joker u?

message 7: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments haha, he's awesome... which is why i have this pic :D

message 8: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 47 comments yeah me too lolz. :)

message 9: by Aneri (last edited Jan 26, 2009 12:27PM) (new)

Aneri | 186 comments i think he would've been less bitter if he was married to lily..nice point fiona. how can you stand having the guy who bullied you your entire teen years marry the girl you loved ever since you were a child??? and the fact that he took care of his enemie's son is just..wow! (yes he did it grudgingly...he was doing it more for lily than james)

message 10: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments yeah, but i dunno if i'd have liked snape's character if he was nice... the great thing about him was that he was so mean, so unfriendly, and yet still a extremely loyal-to-the-end good guy...

message 11: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Jan 26, 2009 02:52PM) (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
I am definitely going with James becuase otherwise there would have been no story. I like James, even though he was an arrogant bully when he was young. He did grow out of it. Snape changed later in life too, but he still treated people like Neville and Hermione horribly and they didn't really have anything to do with how he was bullied when he was younger. I understand he was bitter from his previous experiences, but he gave favorable treatment to Slytherins. Snape revealing the prophecy was what led to Lily's death. The reason Lily didn't grow to love Snape (romantically) in the first place was his infatuation with the dark arts. Lily realized James was the better man and loved him back instead.

message 12: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa | 48 comments Hmm.....if Snape hadn't been so infatuated with the dark arts, could & would Lily have been able to love him? James wasn't very nice to Snape. He was a bit arrogant. Lily didn't even like him at first.
It was hard to like Snape throughout the series, yet he was still one of my favorite characters...if that makes any sense *lol* Still, I think Lily was better off with James. But it was heart wrenching to see all of Snapes memories in DH. You wanted him to have a happier ending.

message 13: by Annalisa (last edited Jan 26, 2009 05:56PM) (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) This one is a tough one because I love Snape, but I don't think it would have changed anything. I can see that on a intellectual level Snape and Lily were a better fit and you can see that future for them. But Snape chose the dark arts over Lily and that's part of the reason why he loathes James so much is that he knows he lost the love of his life to the person he most detested and is too prideful to admit it's his own fault.
Lily was a bright girl and she picked James and was happy with him. James grew up and shed some of his arrogance. And the most important thing is that James was good and that was the most important trait for her. If Lily had chosen Snape she may have influenced a kinder Snape, but he would have mixed Lily up with the dark arts she so detested and either been unhappy or killed by it and Snape still would have been heart broken and fallen into self loathing but he wouldn't have had anyone to project those feelings onto like he does with Harry.

message 14: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 47 comments see thats exactly what I was thinkin!! its a really hard desicsion.

message 15: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 47 comments You know the one thing that I hate what JKR does in her books? KILLS OFF REALLY GOOD PEOPLE!!!! Like when she kills Sirius and DUMBLE DORE WHY WOULD SHE DO THAT?

message 16: by Aneri (last edited Jan 27, 2009 03:09PM) (new)

Aneri | 186 comments don't get me wrong.. i love james..he was soo funny and cool and very brave and cared so much about his wife and son and without him, Harry wouldn't be the guy he is today. But Snape loved Lily so much and to see that chapter in DH, was soo heart breaking (just like Melyssa said). If there was no story of Harry Potter, i think it should've been Snape and Lily. But since we're talking of stories, then I take James.

So, let me re-phrase the question:

If there was no such story as Harry Potter, (Let's say it was called Neville Longbottom and the Sorcerer's Stone) who do you think Lily should've married, Snape or James?

message 17: by Melyssa (last edited Jan 27, 2009 05:30PM) (new)

Melyssa | 48 comments Aneri wrote: So, let me re-phrase the question:

If there was no such story as Harry Potter, (Let's say it was called Neville Longbottom and the Sorcerer's Stone) who do you think Lily should've married, Snape or James?"

Oh, in that case, Snape.....if he could have not been so infatuated with the Dark Arts. Hmm....I say that so easily, but, then Harry could have been the side character that Neville was. So James. Yeah, definitely James.

message 18: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

I'd still choose James, even if the story wasn't about Harry.

message 19: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments wait, is the question should james or snape have married lily, or would you have married james or snape?

i think that james should have married lily cuz then snape was there to protect harry and he came over to the Order's side. even though it was tragic, harry was greatly protected by snape even though he wasn't doing it for him as much as he was doing it for lily's memory.

james is described as a 'toerag' (i beleive) in the seventh book in a memory. but i think that he grew out of that...

message 20: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments hopefully, at least. :)

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen | 4 comments james because
a there'd be no harry
and b snape a lily would made a werid looking child

message 22: by Aneri (new)

Aneri | 186 comments lol
at least he'd still have black hair...

message 23: by Rutvi (new)

Rutvi  (rutviravani) i dont like james very much espicially when he was 15. harry saw him in the pensieve and disnt like james at that point either. james could have stopped showing off. i agree with what lily said in teh pensieve...

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) I think Snape killed it with the Mugblood comment. It was uncalled for. I know he didn't try, but still, it was mean.
If Lily had picked Snape, what kind of story would it have been? >.>

message 25: by Aneri (new)

Aneri | 186 comments i wonder what harry's grandparents were like..the only time they were mentioned was in the mirror of erised..they should make the Potter's Family tree with pics

message 26: by Swati (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 333 comments JAMES! I love Snape too, and I felt really bad for him, but Snape over James. I like Snape and Lily too though.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Lauren I mean how could Lily like Snape after he called her a mudblood, though i still feel sorry for Snape

message 28: by Swati (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 333 comments Maryam wrote: "I agree with Lauren I mean how could Lily like Snape after he called her a mudblood, though i still feel sorry for Snape"

Yeah, either he was trying to be cool by calling her a mud blood, or what..

message 29: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments Snape,of corse.but i think it's good that they did't marry each other.becaus it's more romantic...

message 30: by Swati (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 333 comments Courtney wrote: "JAMES!!!!! I feel sorry for Snape, but...... JAMES!!! And without James, Harry would never have been born. =("

That's EXACTLY what I think!!

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (beatrixkiddo) | 63 comments There are two reasons for liking a character: because you empathize with him/her or because he/she is a great literary development. For both two reasons, I love Snape!! I mean, he was a man that suffered since he was born: being a half-blood, bad treated by his father, despised by her apearance, brilliant but hated for everybody, even for the woman he always loved. How can you not be sorry for such a life?

I must admit that I also loved Sirius... he, true, was a pampered child, but he suffered a lot too when he lost his best friends out of his mistake, then twelve years locked up in Azkaban and one in Grimmauld Place, and then dead in the hands of his own cousin. But James... we barely knew him, and I must admit that of that few JKR told us about him, I nearly hated him for those things he did to Snape without a reason =(

message 32: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited May 19, 2009 04:28PM) (new)

You're right that we barely know James, Beatrix. We do have everyone's word, though, that he grew out of his arrogance. Lily, obviously could see that he was a different person and loved him. The scene when James tells Lily to take Harry and run obviously shows his bravery and love for his family.

I'm not sure why I've always liked James. I do think that he was the perfect one for lily - not Snape. I feel sorry for Snape and he's such an interesting character, but James was the better person.

message 33: by Brianne (last edited May 19, 2009 08:18PM) (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments James sacrificed himself for Lily in the end. I think Snape did too in a way.

But before Snape hit some rough patches, he made bad choices then made up for it.

James was there all the way, even if he was cocky in the start.

Besides without James, Harry would never have been born. There would be no books!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I say your all wrong. Mt.Dew beats both Snape and James. Mt.Dew and Nacho Cheese Doritoes. *Sticks out tounge*

message 35: by Swati (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 333 comments =D

Lol.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Courtney wrote: "JAMES!!!!! I feel sorry for Snape, but...... JAMES!!! And without James, Harry would never have been born. =("

You are Right!!! :-)

*blink 182 is the greatest band ever* Brady | 20 comments Hi Fiona!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 38: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Hm...I think Snape. James would've found someone else to marry. Snape was TOO on love.

message 39: by Hannah (last edited Jun 16, 2009 03:06AM) (new)

Hannah Nikka (hannahashworth) I feel really sorry for Snape, but I say James.

message 40: by Priscilla (last edited Jun 18, 2009 01:11PM) (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) I like Snape(he always loved her)...but James loved LIlly too...so JAmes

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

James.

message 42: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 17 comments yeah um james

message 43: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Great question!

Very difficult... I think Lily's personality fit more with James. Snape, after all, did call her a Mudblood. She would have been married to a Death Eater; if she had married Snape, there would be no prophecy, and he would have stayed as a Death Eater, while Lily was really anti-Death Eater.

Besides, the entire conflict made for such a great story! :D

message 44: by Novin, whose favortie character is Sirius Black. (new)

Novin | 575 comments Mod
I agree. Snapes loved her, but he wasn't as prefect as James for her in my opinion.

message 45: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Meh, perfection is boring.

XD

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

i aggre that snape did love her alot but james was better for her than snape was and if u disagree think how it would be if snape was harry's father creepy

message 47: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Nikka (hannahashworth) Wow, that IS creepy. Harry would be a miniature Snape... Let's forget I said that.

I also think that James would be better for Lily. In my opinion, a marriage between Lily and Snape would just be complicated.

message 48: by Jenn (last edited Aug 02, 2009 06:16PM) (new)

Jenn (abooknut) | 42 comments I can’t help but wonder if they had ended up together. Even Jo said Lily could have fallen in Love with Snape had he picked her over the Dark Arts meaning he would never have become a Death Eater. Putting his fascination of the Dark Arts behind him. It just shows one that there are choices we make that can affect our lives. Snape choice cost him the women he loved.

Had he taken a different path it is very possible that Lily would have been Lily Snape and not Lily Potter. Instead of Harry James Potter we’d have Harry Severus Snape or maybe even Prince Severus Snape. The story would have been very different say if Lily and Snape were the ones that died and their orphaned son Harry (or Prince) was the one left.

message 49: by Cutter100 (new)

Cutter100 | 17 comments Snape all the way (:

message 50: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments Novin wrote: "I agree. Snapes loved her, but he wasn't as prefect as James for her in my opinion."

i agree

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8