Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Topics Other Than Bks-Pics-TV. > The New Crandall Library

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Don (new)

Don (ddonofrio3) | 86 comments So what does everyone thing of the new Crandall Library?

I've been there a couple times since it re-opened and I love all the space it has. The reading rooms with the gas fireplaces are great during the winter and the seats near the full glass windows that overlook City Park are a great place to sit and read.

message 2: by Susan (NY) (last edited Jan 25, 2009 09:12PM) (new)

Susan (NY) I love the new Crandall Library!! I've been going every weekend. Right now I have 10 books I've borrowed. Between finding books to get at the library on Goodreads,and going to the library, it seems I am spending all my spare time reading.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 25, 2009 09:28PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hi Don and Susan - I too love the new library. Someone said it looks like a giant cruise ship when it's all lit up at night. I agree. And we can sail away to so many places through its books.

The reading rooms with the windows looking out on the town and the park add so much to the open atmosphere. I love looking out at the scenery and the bandstand. The comfortable upholstered armchairs and sofas placed in various locations add to the warm atmosphere.

I'll have to get used to the self-checkout, but that shouldn't be difficult.

I'm proud of our library and our town, "Hometown, USA!"

PS-Don, with your permission, I'd like to move this topic to the Books & Reading Section.
After all, it is about books. (g) As soon as you say it's OK, I'll move it, OK?

BTW, Don, thanks for this great topic!

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 27, 2009 07:44AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Readers might want to take a look at two other topics in our Books & Reading section about our Crandall Library. The links are below:
---------------------------------------------------------
TOPIC NAME: "The new additions to our library in Glens Falls":
LINK: ====> http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...
(This topic gives links to photos of our library.)
---------------------------------------------------------
TOPIC NAME: "Crandall Library in Glens Falls re-opened today, Thurs. Dec. 11, 2008!!!!!!!":
LINK: ====> http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 5: by Don (new)

Don (ddonofrio3) | 86 comments Sure.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Does anyone here go to the books sales they have 3 times a year? If I go, I do it on the first day and get there more than an hour before it opens, you wouldn't believe how many people are there waiting.
Great deals, one hardcover for a dollar, 2 paperbacks for a dollar. We bring a few duffle bags and fill them up.
And the selection is huge!
The next one should be soon. I'm not sure if we're going, depends on if my husband is here to take me.

message 7: by Don (new)

Don (ddonofrio3) | 86 comments It is February 6-8.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments In the past, we've donated books to the library's book sales.
I went to the sale once and picked up some bargains.

I gave away one book I wish I had kept. It had belonged to Ed's folks. It was a pictorial review of WW I. With the anniversary of WW I coming up in 2014, the book would probably have some value to collectors. I often wonder who bought it at the sale.

I also regret giving away some of my favorite books in a foolish moment of trying to "get rid of stuff". One of the books was _I Passed This Way_ by Sylvia Ashton-Warner. I often wonder who bought it.

Another book I regret giving away was _Till Morning Comes_ by Suyin Han. I've never forgotten that touching story.

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I wrote: "Another book I regret giving away was _Till Morning Comes_ by Suyin Han. I've never forgotten that touching story."

I just realized that Suyin Han is also the author of _A Many-Splendored Thing_, the book on which the movie, "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" (1955) is based.