Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Books by Title/Title=topic name > The Turner Diaries (the book we aren't supposed to read)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Don (new)

Don (ddonofrio3) | 86 comments I decided to celebrate the end of George W. Bush's presidency by reading a book that we aren't supposed to read. The very book that we're told lead Timothy McVeigh to decide to carry out the Oklahoma City bombing.

This is from the GoodReads review;

At 9:02 am on Wednesday April 19, 1995, two tons of explosives ripped apart the federal office building in Oklahoma City and the psyche of America. The worst case of domestic terrorism in our history, this explosion killed 169 men, women, and children. The author of this book has written, If [this book:] had been available to the general public . . . the Oklahoma bombing would not have come as such a surprise. It has been considered by the Justice Department and other government agencies as the bible of right-wing militia groups, and the FBI believes it provided the blueprint for the Oklahoma City bombing. Barricade Books has published it so America can better understand the cause of racism and extremism.

I'll let you know what I think...

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 25, 2009 07:37PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I look forward to your review of _The Turner Diaries_, Don.

Meanwhile, there are other reviews at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Turner-Diaries-...

A review at the above Amazon.com webpage says:
"The Turner Diaries is a fictional account of a white supremecist revolution."

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments I'll be interested in what you think, Don.

I've never believed any one should hold a book responsible for a person's actions - people aren't supposed to be so easily influenced. It's like all the controversy about The Anarchist Cookbook. Half of it is childishly simple & some doesn't work. The rest is easily & better described in U.S. Military Field Manuals.

message 4: by Don (new)

Don (ddonofrio3) | 86 comments I have the Anarchist Cookbook as well as the Poor Man's James Bond books. I have for years and I'm not running around blowing things up yet.

The Turner Diaries is definitely racist. It's about a network of white supremacist groups in the US and the government is engaged in a "War on Racism".

It was written in the 70s but is strangely close to our "War on Terrorism" today. The government is taking guns away from the population and you must have a passport with you at all times, which you must produce when asked by any government official as well as to buy everything from food to gas.

The groups fund their activities by robbing minority-owned businesses, which they feel is okay. They also blow up the FBI building in Washington to stop the government's investigation into their network.

message 5: by Jackie (last edited Feb 03, 2009 10:19AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Here's an interesting list of banned and challenged books:
http://title.forbiddenlibrary.com/

I've read almost all of these books and I don't find anything wrong with them. It is my personal opinion that those who are trying to ban them or challenge them haven't read these books. Or if they did, they sure didn't understand them.
When reading the reasons why they are banned or challenged, it's almost laughable if it weren't so pathetically sad that others feel the need to dictate what others read.
If someone objects to a book, the solution is very simple: Don't Read It!
I do not appreciate anyone telling me what I can and cannot read.

I've posted in another group about how people are trying to ban the Harry Potter books. First of all, it's Fiction. Get a grip.
Second, if they don't want their kids reading it, that's their prerogative, but don't tell me my kid (or I) can't read it.
I despise when others try to force their ideas, morals and agendas on the public.

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I'm with you, Jackie. Challenging books is a slippery slope. I've bookmarked the webpage you've posted just to read how ridiculous and laughable some of the comments there are.

Here's an example:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Lewis Carroll. Ace; Bantam; Crown; Delacorte; Dover; NAL; Norton; Penguin; Random; St. Martin. Banned in China (1931) for portraying animals and humans on the same level, 'Animals should not use human language' "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL
Thanks for the link, Jackie.

message 7: by Jackie (last edited Feb 03, 2009 11:36AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I must confess, it makes me angry when I read it, but I just have to shrug my shoulders and laugh it off.